Contacting programs/PDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dadr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was previously under the impression that contacting programs before the application cycle might be beneficial, particularly if you are highly interested in a program to which you have no previous ties (professional or geographical) to let them know they're not just part of the ERAS "shotgun application" strategy.

However, recently I've been cautioned by a cardiology faculty as well as a fellow against doing this, as they said you will rarely get through to the program director and you may get "burned" (no explanation given on how). What is the consensus on this? I've largely held off on personally contacting programs because of this. Perhaps ProgCoordinator, if you're still visiting this site, you can provide some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

If a candidate is writing to ask a specific question for which s/he cannot find the answer to via the program's site, FREIDA, etc. then it's acceptable. Writing to ask for widely available info can be off-putting. One reason being that it shows the applicant hasn't done basic research on the program.

Two big no-no's: Please do NOT write asking about what your chances are of getting an interview and/or matching and please do NOT write to stroke egos. It won't help.

:luck:

Wish I'd thought of this when I'd written earlier...

Here's a thought: Although I understand that everyone's time is very limited, if you want to drive the point home that you're interested, tweak your personal statement for each of the programs in which you're most interested. You may be surprised at how few candidates make the time to do this, but it speaks volumes when we read a personal statement that is geared specifically for us.