Contacting Residency Programs to increase chances of Interview Invitations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently applied for the current match and am waiting to hear back from programs over the next several weeks. I was curious as to the value of sending out an email expressing my specific interest to the programs where I most desire an interview. I am an American-born IMG and have applied relatively late(second week of october), and was hoping this may help me stand out amongst the large volume of applicants they would be reviewing in November. I am applying to IM. I understand that there is certain standard protocol, such as thank you emails after interview invitations and after interviews, but I was wondering if emailing the programs around this time would be valuable-especially since MSPE's are being sent out on Nov. 1st and programs may be looking at applicants in more detail around this time. Do you think that this could be helpful? Also, importantly, I'd like to know if this could, in some unforeseeable way, hurt my chances of receiving an interview.

I would appreciate any input, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have recently applied for the current match and am waiting to hear back from programs over the next several weeks. I was curious as to the value of sending out an email expressing my specific interest to the programs where I most desire an interview. I am an American-born IMG and have applied relatively late(second week of october), and was hoping this may help me stand out amongst the large volume of applicants they would be reviewing in November. I am applying to IM. I understand that there is certain standard protocol, such as thank you emails after interview invitations and after interviews, but I was wondering if emailing the programs around this time would be valuable-especially since MSPE's are being sent out on Nov. 1st and programs may be looking at applicants in more detail around this time. Do you think that this could be helpful? Also, importantly, I'd like to know if this could, in some unforeseeable way, hurt my chances of receiving an interview.

The potential positive impact is minimal at best. The potential negative impact is also small, but greater than the positive impact.

You've already got a couple of strikes against you (IMG, super late app), don't give programs an easy 3rd strike.

Reactions: 1 user
The potential positive impact is minimal at best. The potential negative impact is also small, but greater than the positive impact.

You've already got a couple of strikes against you (IMG, super late app), don't give programs an easy 3rd strike.

Agree. You're more likely to hurt your cause than help it.

Thank you, good to know! Just wondering if anyone could elaborate on what specifically could be taken as a "negative" from an email expressing interest. In other words, what negative things could a program director glean from such an email? Likewise, what positive things might he/she see? Based on your responses, I won't be sending the email, but you've piqued my curiosity, haha. If it helps in answering the question, my idea for the email would have just included a short introduction, my positive experiences/roots to that institution, and one or two reasons why it would be my top choice.

thnx again

Programs receive hundreds/thousands of applications. Getting an email from every applicant and having to reply to all of them would be a huge PITA. The negative is that you would be annoying the PD.

Thank you, good to know! Just wondering if anyone could elaborate on what specifically could be taken as a "negative" from an email expressing interest. In other words, what negative things could a program director glean from such an email? Likewise, what positive things might he/she see? Based on your responses, I won't be sending the email, but you've piqued my curiosity, haha. If it helps in answering the question, my idea for the email would have just included a short introduction, my positive experiences/roots to that institution, and one or two reasons why it would be my top choice.

thnx again

Programs receive hundreds/thousands of applications. Getting an email from every applicant and having to reply to all of them would be a huge PITA. The negative is that you would be annoying the PD.

Makes sense. Though isn't the whole point of doing something like this because not every applicant does it?? I understand that its not really a big player in the grand scheme of things, but if you are one of the few people who sends the email-could there be a chance of them pulling your file for a second look or just spending a little more time on your file then they normally would "just another applicant"? I'm thinking along these lines simply for the fact that I have not been getting many responses(yay or nay), so I feel like at this point they have no incentive to be looking into me. Obviously, a lot of these places have seen me and probably silently rejected me, but is the former not a possibility? Keep in mind, I'm pretty ignorant of the process so please school me if you feel necessary.
thanks

Not gonna school you. A chance, sure. Do I think it's likely, no, and overall I think it's more likely to hurt than help. But I'm just guessing here, and could well be wrong, at least at any individual program. If you want to do it, go ahead, but don't have high expectations, and recognize that you may hurt your application. By no means should you send more than one email to any individual person.

Not gonna school you. A chance, sure. Do I think it's likely, no, and overall I think it's more likely to hurt than help. But I'm just guessing here, and could well be wrong, at least at any individual program. If you want to do it, go ahead, but don't have high expectations, and recognize that you may hurt your application. By no means should you send more than one email to any individual person.

Haha-I hope you didn't take "feel free to school me" as "I would like you to educate me on the application process in this thread". I meant it more along the lines of, "feel free to be brutally honest in your response if you feel it's necessary". Anyway-thanks for the advice. Mucho appreciated.

I'm thinking along these lines simply for the fact that I have not been getting many responses(yay or nay), so I feel like at this point they have no incentive to be looking into me. Obviously, a lot of these places have seen me and probably silently rejected me, but is the former not a possibility?

Sounds like your mind is already made up.

What would your email say?

Hi all,

I certainly have seen cases where a well timed email coming at the time of an unexpected interview cancellation has gotten someone an additional interview. Program coordinators plan out the day for interviewees well in advance in terms of applicant lunches, applicant oriented conferences to attend, interview schedules, and PDs often get miffed if there is an unexpectedly poor showing. They'd rather pull in someone on the cusp than have an open interview slot and fewer interviewees at the end of the cycle. So sometimes you can get lucky. Probably can't hurt you if you do it late enough in the cycle that it's clear you weren't getting an interview anyhow.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.

What would your email say?

Haha, I'm not made up one way or the other, to be honest.

Last edited:
I certainly have seen cases where a well timed email coming at the time of an unexpected interview cancellation has gotten someone an additional interview. Program coordinators plan out the day for interviewees well in advance in terms of applicant lunches, applicant oriented conferences to attend, interview schedules, and PDs often get miffed if there is an unexpectedly poor showing. They'd rather pull in someone on the cusp than have an open interview slot and fewer interviewees at the end of the cycle. So sometimes you can get lucky. Probably can't hurt you if you do it late enough in the cycle that it's clear you weren't getting an interview anyhow.

Thanks. Good to know.

This probably is a silly question-but when is "late enough in the cycle"? Would I judge that based on when I sent my apps out or the respective deadlines for applications at those specific schools? Both? Or something else entirely?

November seems like late enough, but then again I am still getting rejection emails from places(ha)

Thanks. Good to know.

This probably is a silly question-but when is "late enough in the cycle"? Would I judge that based on when I sent my apps out or the respective deadlines for applications at those specific schools? Both? Or something else entirely?

November seems like late enough, but then again I am still getting rejection emails from places(ha)
Depends on the specialty. Many fields don't even start interviewing until November. The interview season doesn't end until the first week of February for some fields. I'd probably sit on things another week or so.

Sending them a nice note of interest after not getting interviews wont hurt anything. I did that. Some of the programs offered to attach the emailed letter of interest to my ERAS application so that the PD can take a look at it. I think it may help. I have seen several people email the programs updates and they ended up getting at least one more interview. It can get them to notice you and look over your application sooner. good luck!

Depends on the specialty. Many fields don't even start interviewing until November. The interview season doesn't end until the first week of February for some fields. I'd probably sit on things another week or so.

Ok- sounds good, thanks.

Sending them a nice note of interest after not getting interviews wont hurt anything. I did that. Some of the programs offered to attach the emailed letter of interest to my ERAS application so that the PD can take a look at it. I think it may help. I have seen several people email the programs updates and they ended up getting at least one more interview. It can get them to notice you and look over your application sooner. good luck!

Good to know. Mind if I ask when you ended up sending the emails out? I guess I'll wait a week and try it. Thanks!

Good to know. Mind if I ask when you ended up sending the emails out? I guess I'll wait a week and try it. Thanks!

I sent it sometime after Nov 1.