Continental Education vs. International Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that society looks down on people that are educated outside of the continental US? Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited, yet still it seems that you’re not going to be a trusted DO or MD, being looked at like you bought your license off eBay. What do you think??

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think that society looks down on people that are educated outside of the continental US? Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited, yet still it seems that you're not going to be a trusted DO or MD, being looked at like you bought your license off eBay. What do you think??

Where'd this guy get his B.Sc. ... Amazon?

You mean people from Hawaii...lol...just kidding.

As far as I know, most people stop caring once you finish residency. The only reason why I asked where my doctor graduated is because of my interest in medicine. I have never heard of other people I know ever ask about a doctor's med school or residency location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that society looks down on people that are educated outside of the continental US? Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited, yet still it seems that you're not going to be a trusted DO or MD, being looked at like you bought your license off eBay. What do you think??
No society does not look down on the Caribbean at all just uninformed and inexperienced premeds look down, who cares about a bunch of 22 year olds who haven't matured yet? Only a few of the Medstudents seem to give us a hard time, Patients don't care, you pass the USLME and do well few programs who need to fill residencies care either....................Like I said premeds.........:smuggrin: ( by the way you are not here to start a fight right?, cause stuff like this does)

Don't go to the hospital next time you need care that way you will not have put trust in the Caribbean and IMG MD's that may be there, even though all of them must do a residency in the USA, and the Caribbean MD's spend 2 of the 4 years of medschool in training in the the US along side US MDs Oh does that mean they are trained by the same system? MY bad to post a fact.

I'm not here to start a fight by any means, I'm not like that. I am just trying to get some facts straight. I have already graduated with a four year degree in Electronics Technology and Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems Technology. After going through the motions and having a few jobs, I realize that my true passion is in medicine, that runs in my family but I didn't take heed in that at the time of school, nor at 18 want to go through 10 more years of school, you know how it is at 18. I have had a change of heart, and no matter what, I want to be the doctor that people know will make them feel like a person not just a patient and accomplish the task at hand, to make them better. I have posted this same thread under the international, the osteopathic, and the allopathic sections just to get a feel of what people think; bottom line is I'm looking for a well rounded med school that people respect.

Medical schools in the UK, Canada, and Ireland (maybe Australia) are just as good, if not better than American MD schools. So no, getting your medical education outside the US does not mean it is any less respected.

As for the Carribean, you should stay away from the new and for-profit med schools that are opening up practically every year. Unfortunately, there are people who can't tell the difference between a subpar and an accredited school and tend to lump them all together.
If you do your research and ask MANY questions, you will find the right school for you. You have lots of options if considering international schools.

Good Luck

I'm not here to start a fight by any means, I'm not like that. I am just trying to get some facts straight. I have already graduated with a four year degree in Electronics Technology and Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems Technology. After going through the motions and having a few jobs, I realize that my true passion is in medicine, that runs in my family but I didn't take heed in that at the time of school, nor at 18 want to go through 10 more years of school, you know how it is at 18. I have had a change of heart, and no matter what, I want to be the doctor that people know will make them feel like a person not just a patient and accomplish the task at hand, to make them better. I have posted this same thread under the international, the osteopathic, and the allopathic sections just to get a feel of what people think; bottom line is I'm looking for a well rounded med school that people respect.

Have you read the posts on SDN about Carribbean schools and students? Man if you post in the other forums about Caribbean students you will get this:

1. Subpar
2. You will never get a residency
3. Most of the students from these schools fail the USLME
4. These students are taking a shortcut

and so forth, Yes I'm defensive, Until 3 years ago when I started looking and researching and reading most of the laws and rules in the USA I didn't know what to think of the Caribbean, but My doctor and many I knew during 17 years of RN, went to Caribbean schools, they were sound practicioners, some at Big name places, this swayed me into understanding the stuff I read on these boards is just the banter of frustrated premeds and medstudents who love to have something to kick and put down. Yes there is some truth on here about some of these schools have less than desirable things about them but in the end you can come out and practice you can pass the USLME and you can get a residency.

Most of it is up to you.

Crow, man, if you didn't mean to start a flame war you probably could've worded your questions better. I read your statements in the Allopathic forum and it seems that you have a genuine respect for IMG's. You could've expressed that sentiment especially in this forum. I think that patients care most about competent docs who have a good bed-side manner. Many of those type of docs include IMG's. You will have good docs from both US and IMG backgrounds, and you will have bad docs from both backgrounds as well. I give props to anyone who has made it through medical school and through residency. Nuff said. Mostly those preoccupied with your concerns are prob. premeds and medical students and maybe even residents I don't know since I'm only a med student, but as long as the person does a good job that's what's important. I'm surprised the moderators haven't closed this thread because you've posted in multiple forums.

Crow look at what you wrote, you said Society looks down on us, we are not trusted and we are buying our Medical License on EBAY, How is this not inflammatory?:confused:

Thats like saying "Drugs have side effects that kill people so don't you think the drug companies are murderers?"

If you notice Oldpro I started the thread with a question "Do you think?" meaning I want peoples personal opinions on the subject matter. I would like to know while I'm in the hunt for School. As for the EBay comment it was conveyed to me in some face to face conversations that some people do look at it this way. It was not pointing fingers at anyone, but you have to admit that there are schools everywhere that are fakes and you can pretty much just buy a fake license, sad but true. This was meant for me to understand what people from all over think.

If you notice Oldpro I started the thread with a question "Do you think?" meaning I want peoples personal opinions on the subject matter. I would like to know while I'm in the hunt for School. As for the EBay comment it was conveyed to me in some face to face conversations that some people do look at it this way. It was not pointing fingers at anyone, but you have to admit that there are schools everywhere that are fakes and you can pretty much just buy a fake license, sad but true. This was meant for me to understand what people from all over think.
Yeah I understand thats why I posted about the uninformed Premeds, they are not out in the real world yet and as such really do not have a real grasp of perceptions, I worked in the real world and have to tell you it means squat where you went to medschool, a Licensed Doc is a Licensed Doc, Nurses and others have to follow the orders, no matter where they went to Medschool, and the Licensed and pay is the same for the Docs.:cool:

Yeah I understand thats why I posted about the uninformed Premeds, they are not out in the real world yet and as such really do not have a real grasp of perceptions...it means squat where you went to medschool...

The people who wait 12 to 15 hours in the ER for help don't care (nor do they even know the difference) what initials follow your name or what school you went to. They want help. Can you give it to them? If so...you are a saviour to them.

95% Of the people who care about the intials that follow your name or where you went to school are pre-meds, and 50% of them will never even get into medical school anyway.