Continue Accepting Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newolduser

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I want to preface this by saying I never thought I'd be in this position, but here I am. I know it's early in the cycle, but I've been pretty successful thus far (which feeling very weird after getting no love my first cycle). I've been accepted to 2 schools so far, and having upcoming interviews with 2 more. I turned down an interview from one school because they don't offer merit scholarships, and I was wondering if I should continue that approach? I'm a non-trad so I don't think I'll qualify for that much need-based aid, and I'm in a very lucky position where my top-choice school (and one of my acceptances) will be ~$1k per year for school, due to my partner's position and tuition reduction. It feels silly to keep interviewing, but it'd also allow more freedom for my partner if I were accepted to a school that offers merit scholarships so he wouldn't have to stay at this job if he found something better. I guess I'm just asking is my current approach a good one?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all congratulations!

If you prefer the schools where you have been accepted (for whatever reasons) to the school inviting you to interview, it makes sense to decline the interview. On the other hand, since interviews now are virtual, the cost of attending an interview is really only your time. You need to calculate if the possibility of significant financial aid at a program you would attend if you got $$$ is worth that time investment. In many cases it will be worth it. in a few, it won't.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with above, if the cost of interviewing is just your time then it seems worth it to at least learn more about the program. In particular, unless you have already been awarded a merit scholarship there is no guarantee that you will receive one from the schools that you've been accepted to. You might wind up being pleasantly surprised by a school you weren't expecting to care for, so unless you really are so busy that you can't spend a few hours doing an interview I see little harm

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your goals. If you want to go into academic medicine or a competitive specialty, it may be in your best interest to go to the best school possible.

Agreeing with @LindaAccepted . It's up to you and your situation. The process at this point is weighted to benefit you as an accepted applicant so you don't rush into a decision too quickly. You can reduce your mental load by withdrawing from schools that are lower on your list and wait for responses/offers/financial aid packages from schools higher up. You have until next May to make your final decisions, but I can understand if you wanted to start planning for next year sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 1 users