contracts outside of the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorldsBestNinja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm doing a rotation at a program that is known to offer contracts outside of the match to those who rotate there. Is this a good thing? What does this say about the program? Are they desperate?

Members don't see this ad.

If the search works try that. If it doesn't then someone will respond and you will see that there are many different opinions.

Hi all,
I'm doing a rotation at a program that is known to offer contracts outside of the match to those who rotate there. Is this a good thing? What does this say about the program? Are they desperate?

Man, is the the can 'o' worms! First, the rules state very clearly that for an ACGME program to offer contracts to MD-grads to be is a blatant violation of the rules of the match & can be cause for legal action - go see the match's website for other gory details. However, if you are one of the following: DO, DO-grad-to-be, licensed MD who has already completed an internship &/or residency or an FMG/IMG - it is allowable for an ACGME program to offer you a slot outside of the match. In fact, I was signed outside the match to my categorical slot at Dartmouth - I was a DO-to-be; so that was legal & permissible.

With all of that said, if you fall into one of the 4 categories above & they offer you a slot, it merely says they are sufficiently impressed with you that they'd rather have you guaranteed vs. taking chances on getting someone less impressive in the match.

BUT, if you are an MD-grad-to-be and they offer you a slot - WARNING: my personal opinion - they are a program sufficiently desparate to land adequate bodies that they a willing to break the rules to fill their slots. That means there are probably lots of problems that would potentially ward off quality applicants. If this is your scenario, I would avoid them like the plague - with one exception. If you - am not accusing you, but just wanted to state this for completeness - are a particularly weak candidate on paper and would likely not fare well during the applications/interview/match process & this program offered you a slot AND you get a contract on paper, in black & white, in your hot little hand that you can keep, you might consider accepting. As anesthesia has gotten really very competitive, for a weak candidate on paper, this may be your most viable option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. I am actually a DO-to-be. And the program is known to take kids from my school. I'm not a weak applicant but not the best either (227 on step1). I've been told that my scores and grades are good enough to match somewhere, but going thru the match is so stressful, that if a deal like that came along, it would be very attractive. But part of me wants to go on interviews and see different programs. I'm just glad that if someone is offered a (legal) contract, it means that they were impressed with you, and not desperate.
Thanks for clarifying!
Ninja

Thanks for taking the time to answer this question. I am actually a DO-to-be. And the program is known to take kids from my school. I'm not a weak applicant but not the best either (227 on step1). I've been told that my scores and grades are good enough to match somewhere, but going thru the match is so stressful, that if a deal like that came along, it would be very attractive. But part of me wants to go on interviews and see different programs. I'm just glad that if someone is offered a (legal) contract, it means that they were impressed with you, and not desperate.
Thanks for clarifying!
Ninja

My advice,Go for the match,its worth it!!
In case you are interested in knowing about programs that offer out of match contracts.....here's few I know:
Thomas Jefferson
U of Florida
Maimonides

U. F is a pretty good program. if it offers prematch, should people take it?