Conundrum...Take PCAT for a fourth time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waryman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel stupid and embarrassed right now having to vent on an online forum but I need input from others in the same field. I have taken the PCAT three times already: Jan 07, Oct 07, and Oct 08. I got a 72, 79, and a 73 respectively for those times. The 72 and 79 scores were received without taking calculus, anatomy, or microbiology. I got a 79 the second time around due to a high 94 score in verbal. However I expected the third time to be MUCH better due to having anatomy and physiology I and II, and microbiology under my belt with A's for all three plus experience in Calc I and II. The thing was I was so BUSY with school that I only had time to study during the last week before the test and pulled an all nighter the night before. The following ar my scores for that test which I just say today:

Verbal (413) 69
Biology (425) 84
Reading Comprehension (408) 58 - F. U. C. K.
Quantitative (420) 74
Chemistry (411) 62
Composite (415) 73

I understood bio really well due to the previous semesters. I also got A's in both Gen Chem I and II but bombed the chemistry section on this one even though I studied for that really well with the Pearson book and Examcrackers Orgo. I really want to get into the mid 80's and up and don't know how taking this a fourth time will affect how the schools look at my file.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't get discouraged with those stats. Many schools post the stats of the incoming classes, and rarely ( in my experience) are the avg. PCAT scores out of the 80's, but mostly from somewhere in the 70's. That's the AVERAGE. Those ppl getting 90's are likely off-setting quite a few low 70's, and I'm certain even many 60's. A good interview is likely more important, while the min pcat score req. is likely used to weed out the many applicants. In some cases a great section on the pcat can off-set a poor grade in that class, and vice versa. I feel this test is only one fo many tools the interviewers use to determine an applicants ability.
Also, some schools only look at the last score, some look at all of them.

this is one of the threads that should be deleted, are you kidding me, 73 score is not good anymore..god help us

You should really stop making feel bad for no reason. What the Rusted said is true. I know two people personally that have gotten in to SIU-E with PCAT scores in the 60's. The PCAT is a tool, nothing more, nothing less, for them to HELP in the selection process. If you score a 99 on the PCAT but are a total jerk in your interview or do not communicate effectively, you aren't getting in.

Yes, it's more competitive than it was even 3 years ago, but that doesn't mean you have to get 90's on the PCAT to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not take it again. It seems you are stuck in the 70s (solid scores in my opinion). You will probably get a similar score and waste more money...I would rather save it or spend it applying to an additional school or two. A 70s PCAT will be fine, assuming you do not need a really high PCAT to offset a lot of other major weakneses in your app.

The thing with it is barely studied the last time I took it. Only a week of hardcore time spent for bio and chemistry but not really anything for the other sections. I was just too busy with school to really deal with it. But I have all the required courses plus more under my belt with good grades and I think with winter break coming I can really make some magic happen...possibly.