Convert pKa to Ka and vice versa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah. It makes calculating logs a lot simpler. You can get to just about any number from 2 and 3. For example, log8 is just log2+log2+log2 = 0.3*3.

log9 = log3+log3

etc.

Converting for example [H+] to pH seems pretty simple, but I always have a hard time doing vice versa, especially with non-whole number pH values.

For example, a pH of 9.6, to find the [H+], it'd be:

9.6 = -log[H+]

and I'd end up with [H+] = 10^-9.6

I understand that it'd be some value of [H+] = # x 10^-10, but I don't know how to get that # value. From the looks of it, it's going to be the antilog of 0.4, since that's the difference between 10-9.6, but it's just giving me a hard time. Any shortcuts to this? What would be that # value on this case?
 
Converting for example [H+] to pH seems pretty simple, but I always have a hard time doing vice versa, especially with non-whole number pH values.

For example, a pH of 9.6, to find the [H+], it'd be:

9.6 = -log[H+]

and I'd end up with [H+] = 10^-9.6

I understand that it'd be some value of [H+] = # x 10^-10, but I don't know how to get that # value. From the looks of it, it's going to be the antilog of 0.4, since that's the difference between 10-9.6, but it's just giving me a hard time. Any shortcuts to this? What would be that # value on this case?

Good question! Would like to know myself.


Yes, it is the antilog of 0.4. log2=0.3, log3=0.48, so the number value is about halfway between 2 and 3 but a little closer to 3. So probably like 2.6*10^-10.
 
Yes, it is the antilog of 0.4. log2=0.3, log3=0.48, so the number value is about halfway between 2 and 3 but a little closer to 3. So probably like 2.6*10^-10.

So another example would be 10^0.6

since log 2 = 0.3, 2*log2 = 0.6, so it would be 4?

log2 + log2 = log (2*2) = log 4 = 0.6