Convince professor to override syllabus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If OP's post was about how he missed 3 days due to injury and was now at risk of failing because of a zero-tolerance attendance policy, I would truly feel for him and be on his side.

However, the story also includes not reading the syllabus, skipping class because it's early, skipping class because of other classes, not doing homework, and not communicating with the professor sometime between the injury absences and hitting the magic number twelve. My sympathy doesn't stretch quite that far.

Edit: fixed a typo

Right but who cares. It's not something to attack him for. His decisions are his own and if he manages to become a doctor

OP says he's missing quizzes and not turning in HW when he skips class, it's not a matter of him just missing boring lecture because he has a different learning style.

(Also, if you learned by watching recordings of you professors, that means you learned from them)
Right.. I learned from recordings because I could pace it to my attention span. If I didn't have recordings, attending lecture would still be pointless. I can't focus for that long. Can't even focus for more than a minute.

Members don't see this ad.

Right but who cares. It's not something to attack him for. His decisions are his own and if he manages to become a doctor
OP's attitude reminds me of someone at this summer program I was in. We were ED volunteers but this one kid would just stand in the triage bay waiting for traumas to come in because everything else was below him because it wasn't interesting. We don't need doctors like that.

Reactions: 1 user
My point is, I don't really get why he's being attacked so vehemently. Sure he's immature, but that's no reason to be aggressive. Just recommend he drops because a C won't look good and leave it at that.

Right but who cares. It's not something to attack him for. His decisions are his own

Telling the OP to drop without them understanding the numerous ways they mishandled the situation doesn't do the OP any favor. The OP can either admit their errors and try to understand how to improve (and actually do so!), or they can say "oops, my bad, but the prof is a pain, the policy is a joke, and it's not really my problem" and head into the next class with the same mentality.

1) They didn't read or follow the policy. Ignorance does not beget innocence.
2) They admitted to missing class because it was early, the teacher asked questions and they felt unprepared. The first is something they have to face A LOT if they pursue medicine, or many other careers, so they just have to face it. The second is a demonstration of how they handled a challenge poorly... In medicine (and, again, many other careers) you need to be able to answer questions and defend those answers, and then learn even if you're wrong (without getting defensive, zoning out, etc). It's not a skill we're necessarily born with, but one you can develop by making an effort.
3) They knowingly didn't turn in homework and missed quizzes, but then expect the professor to ignore the policy for them. This one just seems delusional (or lack of self-awareness), since it doesn't make sense for the professor to bend the rules for someone who doesn't have any visible interest in the course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP's attitude reminds me of someone at this summer program I was in. We were ED volunteers but this one kid would just stand in the triage bay waiting for traumas to come in because everything else was below him because it wasn't interesting. We don't need doctors like that.
Not your place to judge. It's the adcoms.

Telling the OP to drop without them understanding the numerous ways they mishandled the situation doesn't do the OP any favor. The OP can either admit their errors and try to understand how to improve (and actually do so!), or they can say "oops, my bad, but the prof is a pain, the policy is a joke, and it's not really my problem" and head into the next class with the same mentality.

1) They didn't read or follow the policy. Ignorance does not beget innocence.
2) They admitted to missing class because it was early, the teacher asked questions and they felt unprepared. The first is something they have to face A LOT if they pursue medicine, or many other careers, so they just have to face it. The second is a demonstration of how they handled a challenge poorly... In medicine (and, again, many other careers) you need to be able to answer questions and defend those answers, and then learn even if you're wrong (without getting defensive, zoning out, etc). It's not a skill we're necessarily born with, but one you can develop by making an effort.
3) They knowingly didn't turn in homework and missed quizzes, but then expect the professor to ignore the policy for them. This one just seems delusional (or lack of self-awareness), since it doesn't make sense for the professor to bend the rules for someone who doesn't have any visible interest in the course.
I agree fully, but most people don't listen to aggression. IF you actually want to help him, then you explain why its a bad thing to do and how it won't help him get into med school etc instead of "DROP YOU ARE PATHETIC"

The real issue is that in the scheduled meeting in which the OP will ask for forgiveness and a waiver on a clear syllabus, the OP will then ask for another day off. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, I don't know the context, but that will absolutely not help his or her case