cool 4th year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avgjoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, anyone do any really interesting, different elective? Did you go abroad, learn spanish, work at the who, etc? How about Operation smile type things? I'm looking to fill at least part of my schedule with unusual things so please let me know what's out there. if there's a good site or way to search for these that'd be great too.

Members don't see this ad.

avgjoe said:
Hey, anyone do any really interesting, different elective? Did you go abroad, learn spanish, work at the who, etc? How about Operation smile type things? I'm looking to fill at least part of my schedule with unusual things so please let me know what's out there. if there's a good site or way to search for these that'd be great too.

In my fouth year I did a selective in plastic surgery with an MD in private practice. I had a blast, light schedules and something completely different than sorting out pill bottles and med list on regular medicine rotation. Some friends of mines scheduled a month of pathology in Hawaii. How nice!

Remember, you never get another fourth year! Try to have some fun!

timtye78 said:
In my fouth year I did a selective in plastic surgery with an MD in private practice. I had a blast, light schedules and something completely different than sorting out pill bottles and med list on regular medicine rotation. Some friends of mines scheduled a month of pathology in Hawaii. How nice!

Remember, you never get another fourth year! Try to have some fun!

Oh wow I would love to do the private practice thing - i feel like I dont know anything about that whole world and it'd be fun to find out more. How does one go about arranging that?
and thanks for the tip on going to hawaii, that too sounds great :)

avgjoe said:
Oh wow I would love to do the private practice thing - i feel like I dont know anything about that whole world and it'd be fun to find out more. How does one go about arranging that?
and thanks for the tip on going to hawaii, that too sounds great :)

Simply go to the office where you schedule selectives, and tell them you are interested in rotating in whatever it is. What they told me was to get the ok first from the potential attending physician, and then just fill out the silly paperwork. It was as simple as that. If you have money...well obviously you have more options. Most places are happy to allow a visit from a fourth year. Just talk to your office of clinical education on how to go about scheduling these. Have fun!