Cool images thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Amputated finger for erosive large gouty tophus.

Fix in alcohol. Embed in paraffin. Put on slide.

Polarize.

Voila.

Eat your heart out, Jackson Pollock.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• gout.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 231
Soon we will have a cool collection of path slide images on SDN.

Good stuff yaah. Thanks.

I'm fairly certain I have limited space to post such things. Attachments have to be a certain size, so that is why that one isn't bigger. The camera I took it on wasn't that great either, but it worked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
I'm fairly certain I have limited space to post such things. Attachments have to be a certain size, so that is why that one isn't bigger. The camera I took it on wasn't that great either, but it worked out.

True dat. However, you can always mess with the resolution on Adobe Photoshop and make the image file just the right size.

Keep taking pictures. CLEEQUE!

yaah said:

Polarize.
WOW.

Free-associating, I know where I've seen that before.

Cathedralweb.jpg

Notre-Dame Basilica, Montreal

The gray-scale is interesting too - looks kind of like a satellite topography picture or a shot of the surface of Mars or something.
538.JPG

I see a mother beating her child and the child is crying.

AndyMilonakis said:
I see a mother beating her child and the child is crying.

LOL! You truly have an eye for art.

Mmmm....so pretty....

yaah said:
Amputated finger for erosive large gouty tophus.

Polarize.

Voila.

Eat your heart out, Jackson Pollock.

Beautiful stuff, Yaah! Truly a work of art!

Members don't see this ad :)
540.JPG

And, as I say, the trichrome of a cirrhotic liver is a thing of beauty. This one even is smiling at you. ;)

p.s. I changed the title of this thread.

yaah said:
Someone wanted to see the Movat stain. Well, here is a Movat stain on a pulmonary embolus.
That would be me. Coincidentally I saw one for the first time today - very agate-like!

l16bs20.jpeg

yaah said:
And, as I say, the trichrome of a cirrhotic liver is a thing of beauty. This one even is smiling at you.
While it doesn't look like a mother beating a kid, it does look a little ghoulish ;)

deschutes said:
While it doesn't look like a mother beating a kid, it does look a little ghoulish ;)

You don't see it?!?!? The mom is on the right...the kid is hunched over on top of her right leg and she's beating the crap out of the kid with a clothes-hanger!

Speaking of images...have you seen Mallrats? Reminds me of a scene when the guy is staring intently at the puzzle picture of the hidden, obscured sailboat.

mallrats02.jpg

You don't even have to attach.

Go to photobucket.com and get an account for free. You can post the url inside of tags.

Nice autopsy specimen:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DrBloodmoney1/brain1.jpg

Thanks! I will do that. I have a couple nice brain pics. One of a radiated tumor cavity. One of a stroke in a 5 month old on ECMO.

It kind of looks like abstract stained glass.

Now if I remember what my rheumatology attending said the other day "yellow is parallel and blue is perpendicular"... what does that mean? ... and 10 minutes passes by... Oh yeah it means that if you polarize light and the yellow crystals are parallel to your polarized light or if your blue crystals are perpendicular to your polarized light than the crystals are gout. And if the yellow cyrstals are perpendicular to your polarized light or if your blue crystals are parallel to your polarized light than the crystals are pseudogout. Now I wont have trouble sleeping.

yaah said:
Someone wanted to see the Movat stain. Well, here is a Movat stain on a pulmonary embolus.
:love: :love:

What's a Movat stain? Does that stain the line of Zahn? I got pimped on that the other day.

The whole Movat issue was briefly discussed a long time ago I think. I think it's the one that stains different kinds of connective tissue different colors (5 stains in all--collagen, elastin, muscle fibers, _____, and _____).

Never seen one myself but I like multi-colored stains. Trichromes I find nice too.

How about a wallpaper-sized version of that, Yaah. 1024x768 would be great. You'll post a link to photobucket when you post it?

Damn photobucket only open (for new registrations) at inopportune times. Of course, it was probably open during the weekend but I forgot then. Alas, still stuck with attachments. Soon enough! Then I will convert them to bigger size. I like this one though - a Prussian Blue (iron) stain in a "cryptogenic cirrhosis" patient.

Hint: Normal livers do not stain blue! Cirrhotic livers can have increased iron but this is a little more severe than that. Iron also all over the pancreas and scattered in the heart.

Fixed it.

545.JPG

Went back and changed all the original posts in this thread to larger ones.

Here is a gross of a pulmonary fibrosis - kind of neat - see? Looks like cirrhosis!

553.JPG

And for the radiologically inclined - a clinical-pathologic correlation:

554.jpg

Now I really have to get back to work!!

Thanks for the wallpaper. (It is a little loud for the desktop, but wicked cool!)

yaah said:
:love: :love:
534.JPG
that is very pretty yaah.
:love: I saw a PE on HandE but it was no where as pretty as that.

Hey Yaah (queue Outkast song of same name), I have a really cool case I want to post but the pics are too big to post as an attachment on SDN. I see you've used hostmyfile.net. Is that the best way to go? Is it a reliable service that won't lose your files? Thanks.

Doctor B. said:
Hey Yaah (queue Outkast song of same name), I have a really cool case I want to post but the pics are too big to post as an attachment on SDN. I see you've used hostmyfile.net. Is that the best way to go? Is it a reliable service that won't lose your files? Thanks.

Truthfully I am not sure how reliable it is - however these have been up for a week or so and no problems thus far. There is also no signing up or registration, you just upload the image and it gives you the URL for it. I guess they subsist on ads or something!

I don't know what the best image hosting site is - photobucket was previously mentioned but they have limited times for registration, so I went to google or some search engine and put in free image hosting and looked at a few options.

Go to it! Let's see the interesting case!

p.s. I hate that song. I have a feeling many people think my username is related to outcast (I prefer to spell their name in the correct fashion just on the off chance that they are reading this).

Thanks Yaah. I posted the case under the title "Quiz Case".

That song got on my nerves too. I just thought of it when I typed "hey yaah".

I think that song rules! Sike! The whole thing about purposefully misspelling **** to look cool is laughable. Like there's this group called Ludacris and they just came out with an album called, "Word of Mouf".

Yaah, this is for you.
outkast_top.jpg

And this one is for you Harbster.
guinness-a.jpg

And in keeping with the spirit of the thread.
yomama.jpg

and an unrelated image
aintmybabydaddy.jpg

So what's that blue thing, a synovial sarcoma or something? I don't recognize it but it looks like the patient is probably not doing well.

yaah said:
So what's that blue thing, a synovial sarcoma or something? I don't recognize it but it looks like the patient is probably not doing well.

I'll give you a hint (actually 2). Zellballen & hypertension. I guess considering I didn't include adjacent normal structures, the picture could be anything.

Oh well, it wasn't really my intention of having people guess what it was. Unlike residents I don't have a vast collection of photos and this one was one of the better ones I had in my limited repertoire.

Ph-Ph-Ph-Pheo!

Actually haven't seen one of those yet outside of a conference...things are often more memorable when you see them in the real world, interestingly. So I feel like a pulmonary fibrosis expert from all of the autopsies I have had with it.

yaah said:
Ph-Ph-Ph-Pheo!

Actually haven't seen one of those yet outside of a conference...things are often more memorable when you see them in the real world, interestingly. So I feel like a pulmonary fibrosis expert from all of the autopsies I have had with it.

THat was the subject of my end-of-the-rotation path presentation a few months ago. I actually came across the specimen/slide a day or two before the talk...it was exciting. I actually took several pictures since I suspected it would be a while since I would encounter this lovely disease entity again.

Although, since you're at U of M, I think you will see more of these than you expect. We have two top-notch endocrine surgeons here who basically have these kind of cases referred to them from all over the country. You will see a fair share of MEN cases here.

So here's a good pearl question regarding pheochromocytoma. What is the S100 staining pattern?

Doctor B. said:
So here's a good pearl question regarding pheochromocytoma. What is the S100 staining pattern?

Well Doctor B., I could pretend like I'm all over this shiznit but I'm not. I just learned yesterday, actually, that there is a thing called S100 from talking to a research adviser--but it was in the context of aggressive prostate carcinomas.

Curiosity got the better of me and so I briefly looked it up. Pretty interesting stuff...apparently pheos are comprised of two types of cells, which I was not aware of. For one, there is the zellballen cells as mentioned before. But in addition there are sustentacular cells too which have Schwannian origin which makes sense based on the intimate relationship between pheos and paragangliomas. These sustentacular cells stain positively for S-100.

You got it! Attendings always like to ask that one so now you are prepared :).

Does anyone know how to download jpeg files from PDA to PC? I have some really cool pics of a small mesenchymal round cell tumor that I helped to take out (ie. retracted) during my surgery rotation that are appalling. I cant seem to get them on to my computer, dammit.