Cool opportunity... but bad for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current MS2, and I have an opportunity to take a year off after I finish this year (so between MS2 and 3) in order to go work with an NGO on public health issues (HIV/AIDS) in Bombay, India. This program appeals to me for many reasons, and I think that it would be a really great experience. However, I'm wondering what residency directors will have to say? :scared: Do you think that taking the year off to do such a program would hurt me when it comes time to apply for residencies?

Thanks a lot for your input!!

Q

Members don't see this ad.

quideam said:
I'm a current MS2, and I have an opportunity to take a year off after I finish this year (so between MS2 and 3) in order to go work with an NGO on public health issues (HIV/AIDS) in Bombay, India. This program appeals to me for many reasons, and I think that it would be a really great experience. However, I'm wondering what residency directors will have to say? :scared: Do you think that taking the year off to do such a program would hurt me when it comes time to apply for residencies?

Thanks a lot for your input!!

Q

I recruit for those with extra life experiences, particularly this kind. I think it would be a positive with most other EM PDs. At worst neutral, I can't imagine anybody holding it against you.

BKN :)

Anything you do to enrich your life as well as the lives of others will only help you. I've done a few similar things with time off from med school and on most of the interviews centered on my humanitarian efforts.

Most importantly, have FUN!

Members don't see this ad :)
A year off between MS2-3 is no problem. IMHO it can only help you.

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity and I don't think there is anyway it could be held against you. It should make you stand out as doing something really different, which is nice when you consider many residencies get 500+ applications for a handful of spots.

If you really want to do it, I say go for it. :)

I agree, great experience. The only thing I can think of is 1) take the boards before you go, you will forget everything by the time you return, and 2) It may be a little harder to get Honors in those first rotations, especially if you have forgotten all the medical lingo/workups/PE/and random pimp questions.

I do think that it would be an excellent adventure and something that would set you apart from your peers, just work extra hard when you return.

I took a year of to do medical work abroad between 3rd and 4th year. I think it was a definate bonus - gave the interviewers and I something different to talk about, instead of the normal. As long as you aren't taking time off to purely goof around (although I did a fair amount of that, too :D ), it should be no problem. EM is a field that likes diversity and recruits unusual applicants. If you have never been to India before, it will be an eye opener as well. Part of my time was spent in Southern India at a government hospital. It gave me a much greater appreciation for medicine in general, as well as a glimpse into the cultrual aspect of the medical field and how different countries around the globe view it.

Enjoy your year. Life is for living...

My motto: I got a life; I need a job.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I am definetely going to take the boards before I go, and I will actually have approx. two months from the time I get back to when I start my 3rd year, so I figured that I would use that time to review material and prepare myself for the wards. I guess my only other consideration was that maybe I should take the time after third year, but honestly I feel that if I don't go now, I'll never go. Also, I would be afraid of having my clinical skills get 'rusty' by the time I got back. Does anyone think it would be better to do this after third year? Or should I take the year now (what I really want), and come back for third year refreshed and ready to go?

Thanks!
Q

First of all we are closing the gap with path. It has closed a solid 200 posts in the last month. +pad+

Go after 2nd yr. This way 3rd and 4th yr will be a smooth transition and you will be ready for your "audition" Rotations. This is also when PhDs are done and I think they know what they are doing. Good luck and have fun! It sounds like a great opportunity. Dont get Typhoid though.. that would suck. My buddy went there and got a nice case of Typhoid.. I guess it beats getting Herpes or the Clap..

Time off between MS2 and 3 will not be counted against you for doing something like this. This will help to set you apart and make you stand out in the minds of PDs and interviewers. I think this would be a significant plus for residency.

as docB says, this experience will likely be brought up by EVERY person who interviews you. I have a few "different" things on my app and so far I am 2 for 2 on people asking me about it. Do it and have fun..opportunities like this are harder to do as you get older have a fam etc.

Yeah it is definitely a good idea +pad+

Closed the gap by 200 posts last month eh?