Cooper University Hospital Anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey has anyone heard of this place for Anesthesia?
I just got a invite here....am kind of interested as it is really close to my family, relatives. It is in camden new jersey, and affliated with UMDNJ.

It's not even listed on scutwork....is it a diamond in the rough....or just plain rough?

Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

The Chairman, Michael Goldberg, is a decent guy. Lots of trauma, good volume of cases, generally nice people to work with. Camden is the as#shole of NJ, though. Get a license to carry a firearm if you decide to go here......seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Chairman, Michael Goldberg, is a decent guy. Lots of trauma, good volume of cases, generally nice people to work with. Camden is the as#shole of NJ, though. Get a license to carry a firearm if you decide to go here......seriously.

Does NJ allow you to carry guns at all?

I thought NJ is one of those totalitarian states where Democrats rule in the government and criminals rule everywhere else.

I thought NJ is one of those totalitarian states where Democrats rule in the government and criminals rule everywhere else.

You are correct on both counts. The license to carry was mentioned "tongue-in-cheek".

However, during my internship year in PA I had a license to carry that was ridiculously easy to obtain. Go figure. :rolleyes:

sensei aint lying. camden was "voted" the most dangerous place to live in america. dont know how true it is...but thats what they say on the radio stations around the area. dont let boarded up houses around the hospital scare you:D

I grew up in CHerry Hill, NJ. It was a nice wealthy suburb of Philadelphia. You have to go through Camden to get in to Phila. Frightening. Murder capital of NJ, cars on fire, drug dealers, hookers...
If your car breaks down in Camden, call 911: that is what we were told growing up...

Cooper has a great rep and is bragging competitive rights with the hospitals in Philadelphia.

That MSN article is also dated 2004, just wanted to point that out (although it doesn't change that they were also rated for 2005).

I'm sorry, although Camden gets a bad rep, its not as "BAD" as some people state, especially recently. I'm from the South Jersey area, grew up there and yes, most of the "influenced" middle-class will state its a ghetto and how they were "warned" how dangerous it is but I went to grad school at Rutgers at night after work. Did I ever feel threatened? Only once when a crazy guy attacked my friend's car (we think he was high and homeless looking for money). So, yes there were some incidents in the area (I also volunteered at Cooper) but its like every other city in the country. Its gets the rep because of the number of crimes per population. Not many of the crimes happen downtown, most of them are in the hood which are north of the bridge or south of Cooper. Security is pretty tight on both campuses.

I was sadden to hear how the past 3 years Camden Re-development has been affected by this new "label" as they really had a great vision to try to turn Camden around to the way it used to be about 50 years ago. The letter that was sent to the company that does the study (and to note, the new study is set to be released soon) from the Camden County Prosecutor who asked that they explain their study is based on data possibly over 2 years old in some cases. They had some developers pull out of the projects and other ramifications to an otherwise healthy growing Camden reputation which is now stained. Also the FBI cautions against "rankings" because they can be biased, which I believe has happened to Camden.

I hate to get defensive but they really have tried to do alot in Camden and I hate the fact that people use "labels" if you've never even been to the city or dealt with the citizens there.

But if you are walking outside, don't be surprised if you hear gunshots in the distance at night, that is a new trauma that will be shipped to the ER in about 30 mins. ;)

Edit: I'd like to add that apparently the new data is out but its not really "reported on or released yet". Camden is no longer #1 and is now #4 for violent crimes and #7 for murders. The new #1 is STL which just like camden has good and bad areas ...

I hate to get defensive but they really have tried to do alot in Camden and I hate the fact that people use "labels" if you've never even been to the city or dealt with the citizens there.

But if you are walking outside, don't be surprised if you hear gunshots in the distance at night, that is a new trauma that will be shipped to the ER in about 30 mins. ;)

I have been to the city and have dealt with the "citizens" there, so I am eminitely qualified to render a judgement. Your statement which follows your support of Camden says it all.......

I have been to the city and have dealt with the "citizens" there, so I am eminitely qualified to render a judgement. Your statement which follows your support of Camden says it all.......
Did I specifically name you? No. You stated on sentence on Camden, I just made some clarifications.

Did I specifically name you? No. You stated on sentence on Camden, I just made some clarifications.

Yeah, fine...........bottom line to anyone out there:

Go elsewhere if you can....if not, go to Camden and keep your eyes open, that's it.