cop to doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crunchiespg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick hello and introduction.
I'm at the very beginning of my journey to med school and a career change to physician.

I've been a police officer for over 10 years, both in the UK and now in Canada. Which i went into basically right from high school.

The job just doesn't challenge me here so I'm going to go to school and do my BSc in Biological sciences this fall. I initally going to go back as a open studies student as i missed registration this year, but then change to the degree programme in the new year.

I'm fortunate in that I am going to stay part time with the police and just work Saturday and Sundays. This will make me pretty financially sound as I'm a senior constable and earning a good wage. I have a 3 year old daughter, but have great family support and an amazing girlfriend who works a pretty regular 9-5 job. I'll stay with the police part time for the 2 years for my BSc (I'll do summer and spring semesters to get my degree done quickly)

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be easy and there will be trails I'll face. But my polcing experience will put me in good stead for dealing with it. I honestly can't see being a student as being more stressful than my last 10 years.

So, that's my long Hello!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome....I come from a similar background in emergency services, although, I am in the states. I have 10 years as a paramedic which I did straight out of high school. It is feasible it will just take some work with shifting work schedules etc.

Good Luck!!

Welcome....I come from a similar background in emergency services, although, I am in the states. I have 10 years as a paramedic which I did straight out of high school. It is feasible it will just take some work with shifting work schedules etc.

Good Luck!!
Well I'm lucky(in an ironic way) I snapped my ACL playing rugby for the police team. So I'm stuck on restricted duties. The surgeon won't be operating as I'm doing fine with no ACL, and it might even be healing itself. But the injury means I won't be working shifts anytime soon. So I'm going to go to 50% part time, and just work weekends on my desk job, while going to school full time in the week. So I'll get the BSc done in less than 2 years.
With the savings in tax by moving down the pay scales, reduced pension contributions and the ability to write off all my student fees for taxes, financially I will be doing pretty well. Even at 50% pay I still earn a lot more than some people I know.

Members don't see this ad :)