Cord blood?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownianMotion

Einstein's Simple Diffusion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, random question from an IM guy. So my wife and I are expecting and we were looking into doing this save cord blood thing. Anyone with any experience in this or have a recommendation for companies or any input on it?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, random question from an IM guy. So my wife and I are expecting and we were looking into doing this save cord blood thing. Anyone with any experience in this or have a recommendation for companies or any input on it?
Thanks!
My wife (also an internist) has a partner whose now 6 year old son got diagnosed with leukemia at age 2. They had banked cord blood and that was used in treatment, kid has been in remission for 3 years.

Its a bit pricey, but on the very rare chance that it could make a difference for one of our twins - well, its only money.

We all used this place: http://www.cordblood.com/

Reactions: 1 users
I can also attest to Cord Blood Registry (link posted above) having a seamless process for the drawing and banking of the cord blood. I can not attest (thankfully) to the usefulness, and I hope that I never will be able to!

They send you a kit that has the blood draw tubes and paperwork inside of it. It also has instructions for the doctor. Make sure your Ob is comfortable with the process so you don't just surprise them with it (most are will have no issue.) Basically, after the blood was drawn, there was a phone number I called, and a courier came directly to me, in our hospital room, and made sure everything was filled out correctly, box was sealed in front of me, I got matching tags for the package, and away it went. We got a confirmation e mail every step of the way, and CBR called us to let us know they had received the blood and everything seemed in order. They also sent us a cute little book for both of our children's first birthday (it was a little detail, but still a nice bonus.) I can only hope that the process for withdrawing the blood for use is just as easy. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Anyway, like I said, there were no hiccups for us and the process was very smooth and unobtrusive. PM me if you have any other questions. Also, if you have other friends who have done this, get their information and tell CBR that they referred you, and they will get a $100.00 check for referral (it may not be the case, but we received two when two of our friend used CBR a few years back.) If you don't have any friends to use, I would be happy to be used as a referral... (wink wink)

Like VA Hopeful said, it is only money. Better to do something like this and never need it, then to come to a situation where you need it, and regret for the rest of your life that you decided not to do it.

It is like insurance, nice to have, but you hope to God you never need it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your guys replies! I'm going to investigate further but am definitely leaning towards doing it then!