OCP and blood clot formation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Solideliquid

Members Only
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the mechanism behind what about OCPs increase the chances of clot formation and DVT/PE?

Thanks!

PS> Will the PT/PTT change in these scenarios?
 
I found this article:
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/17/11/3071

What I got from skimming the article was that the levels of certain coagulation cascade factors were different between treatment groups, with the theory that the first pass metabolism with oral hormones alters the biosynthesis in the liver. It also looked like it was more of a decrease in the amounts/functions of the anti-thrombic factors, at least that part looked more impressive. It's an RCT n=65. There's a chart on it about levels, but it was kinda busy and I'm tired.
Hope it helps.