which cord registry would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompaAPD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my wife is due in early june. We decided to save the cord blood, just wondering if one registry is better than another.
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

They are all pretty good these days. Be sure to call all of them up as I recall several provided free initial service to physicians and just charged you for the maintenance storage fee thereafter.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you feel that its even worth it? Its going to cost approximately $3500 for the 20 year period. Have you seem any successful transplants with cord boold? Would you store your own child's stem cells?
thanks

Do you feel that its even worth it? Its going to cost approximately $3500 for the 20 year period. Have you seem any successful transplants with cord boold? Would you store your own child's stem cells?
thanks

I've been told by some heme/onc guys that cord blood storage is a waste of money.

* Most cord blood samples are only truly "usable" for about 10-15 years. After that, they're no longer certain how useful the stored sample will be. I'm a little shocked that they're charging you for 20 years upfront....

* If your child (god forbid) develops a cancer during that initial 10-15 year span, then the cancer probably has a genetic component - so his/her stem cell blood would have the SAME genetic defect, and ultimately wouldn't be that helpful.

* If your child developed cancer later in life, even if the cells were viable, that small sample of blood isn't going to be enough for a fully grown adult.

I don't know what others would think, but the heme/onc people seem pretty firmly against private cord blood storage.

Have you considered DONATING it to a public storage bank, where someone who needs it NOW could get some use out of it?

So after doing some more research I now feel that private storage of cord blood is yet another great american scam that targets the uninformed at a vulnerable time in their life. We have decided to donate the cord blood instead. Thank you to everyone that replied and pointed me in the right direction.

So after doing some more research I now feel that private storage of cord blood is yet another great american scam that targets the uninformed at a vulnerable time in their life. We have decided to donate the cord blood instead. Thank you to everyone that replied and pointed me in the right direction.

That was the conclusion that we came to as well. Unfortunately, there is no one around here that does donation :confused:. We can bank it privately, but can't donate it? We're due in July and everyone I've talked to has said the same type of stuff that's been said here. We get stuff in the mail all the time about this too! I assume they got our names from some place we've registered for baby stuff? What do you do if you want to donate your cord blood but there is no one around to do it?
Bryan

Let me check with our sister hospital (neighbor), Children's National Medical Center. If I'm not mistaking, they have a national program with means of getting the sample from you. I'll post the information here.

Let me check with our sister hospital (neighbor), Children's National Medical Center. If I'm not mistaking, they have a national program with means of getting the sample from you. I'll post the information here.

Thanks!

Unfortunately their program has 15 hospitals, but none are in Kentucky. Good news however is that, you can donate anywhere on the continental US to NMDP Registry via Cryobanks International. Call 1 (800) 869-8608 or go to this website for the information:

http://www.cryo-intl.com/enroll/donating/

Here is another site with information:

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_C...pating_Hospitals/nmdp_cord_blood_hospitals.pl

Best of Luck!

Cool, thanks for the info!

We ended up going with Family Cord Blood Services - which has public donation option.

:)

Last edited: