Cornell e-mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks,
anyone get news today?

Members don't see this ad.

i also got waitlisted but will withdraw. want to go to cali :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted. I am remaining on the waitlist. Right now, I'll be going to Columbia or Duke next year. I'm a Southerner, so you know what that probably means ... :)

CCW

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Waitlisted. I am remaining on the waitlist. Right now, I'll be going to Columbia or Duke next year. I'm a Southerner, so you know what that probably means ... :)

CCW

That means you SHOULD goto Duke. Free up a spot for us Columbia Waitlistees ;)

OMG each time someone posts here my heart races. If they haven't decided on me yet that should be a good thing right?

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
OMG each time someone posts here my heart races. If they haven't decided on me yet that should be a good thing right?

I don't think it means anything. Someone at my school still has not heard either. All I think it means is that they are delaying a decision on you...

The letter states that "the class entering in august 2004 has been tentatively filled..."

I suspect that those who have not heard are either in the waitlist/rejection category if this applies. I don't know how accurate this is though...

CCW

Dear Super,

You are an amazing, butt-kicking applicant with "Cornell" written all over you! I don't think in all of our years, we've ever seen a candidate as well qualified as yourself, and we absolutely cannot wait until we get a chance to welcome you to... our.... uhhh?.... umn,... uh-oh. Umn, yeah... sorry Bob, we uh, sort of "tentatively filled" our class and forgot to include you.

(hint: you are waitlisted)

Anyone know how much movement there is on the list from years passed?

I was gonna ask the same thing.

Do you guys know how many people are waitlisted, accepted initially and come off the waitlist each year? There was a post floating around to that effect, but I don't know where it is...

I don't think it means anything. Someone at my school still has not heard either. All I think it means is that they are delaying a decision on you...

The letter states that "the class entering in august 2004 has been tentatively filled..."

I suspect that those who have not heard are either in the waitlist/rejection category if this applies. I don't know how accurate this is though...

CCW

Yeah, I think by this they mean they have offered at least 100 acceptances and as far as they know the 100 people are attending.

Everything I have heard leads me to believe they are not done offering immediate acceptances. The interviews just ended Thursday. There is no way those people are automatically rejected or waitlisted at a "non-rolling" school. There will be at least one more batch of acceptances and I'm praying I that I get one.

Everything I have heard leads me to believe they are not done offering immediate acceptances. The interviews just ended Thursday.

both statements are true.

Good. I wish there was something else I could do this week to convince them that I belong there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good. I wish there was something else I could do this week to convince them that I belong there.

I'm thinking of donating a kidney, maybe that'll work

im in the same boat, besides my LOI, i cant think of anything else to tell them that I NEED TO GET IN. unless they realize how cool i am really soon, i will end this process with ZERO acceptances and a whole lot of empty hopes.

Originally posted by SachinG
I'm thinking of donating a kidney, maybe that'll work

Sachin, you still haven't gotten mail from them in cville?

CCW

Sachin, you still haven't gotten mail from them in cville?

CCW

I'm coming back to cville tonight, so I'll see then

According to US News for 2002, 220 acceptances (+/- 1) were made for that class and about 700 peeps were interviewed. Does anyone know the number of those acceptances that came from the waitlist or were all those made outright?

Also, anyone have a clue how large the waitlist offers are?

CCW

Coops-

I've heard that about 30% of the class comes from the waitlist, maybe more. I'm pretty sure the 220 includes the waitlist offers, there really isn't any other way that could happen. So, even with 100++ offers out in March (some people from Dec probably declined and some are declining now) there will be more in May to add up to about 220 I'm thinking.

Also, I know they overaccepted a few years ago and these may be the stats from that year which means 220 is on the high side.

Actually, if there are Cornell students who actually know more about this, it would be helpful.

Man Doctorkevin, just reading your posts makes me nervous. I can feel the tension seeping out of the words. I can only imagine how nervous you must be. On the bright side, San Diego is nice my friend. Don't sweat.

I'm so not nervous. I just had a HUGE cup of coffee this morning and I'm typing and peeing like there's no tomorrow.

I'd be perfectly happy at UCSD or Irvine or wherever. I just hate this feeling of I've done all I can do for now and I just have to wait for an answer "sometime before the end of March."

I don't know what the actual percentage is, but a fair amount of our class came off the waitlist, 25-30 seems like a buyable percentage. According to legend a few years back Cornell accepted too many people outright, and had an overbooked class and had to effectively beg people to defer a year...ever since they've been more stingy about outright acceptances. A little over 200 acceptances sounds to be about the right number in a normal year.

Good luck everyone :)

do you know how many of those 200 or so were outright? 170?

CCW

well if about 25-30% of the class is from the WL, then I guess its 220 minus 30, so about 190 outright. unless that was the overaccept year in which case it would be more like 170 on average.

i'd guess 160 with about 100 already.

where is all this theorizing getting me?? :)

Anyone pin down a size of the waitlist?

CCW

Coops,

I responded to your PM about the JMP but it didn't go through. The JMP = the Joint Medical Program with UC Berkeley. You do 3 years at UCB which entails a PBL curriculum with 12 students total and doing a masters on your own in the area of your choice (usually a social science or humanities area related to medicine). The master of science degree is in "health and medical sciences." You join the UCSF class after the 3 years for rotations in April, and graduate in five years, etc. Its very exciting and I'm honored to have received the interview but I still want to go to Cornell. Having spent 4 years at Berkeley already, NYC just seems like a better choice even though they are both PBL and both good schools.

I cleared my PM box, thanks for the message.

Anyone know how large the waitlist is?

CCW

Have the waitlists been sent out already? how about the rejections? I havent heard squat from them since my intereview back in novmeber.... any chance they'll be giving out more acceptances soon?

some have yes, and some rejections too. no one is sure what is up with the rest of us, but more acceptances will come.

My premed friend just got waitlisted at the Sloan-Kettering summer research program, so if that is news, then this is the cutting edge.

CCW

Does anyone know what day(s) the commitee will make the final decisions?

Yo DoctorKevin,

When you called in, did they seem cool with it or were they annoyed that you were calling at such a hectic season in the application cycle?

Yes, she seemed somewhat annoyed but voluntarily looked up my name and said no decision has been mailed.

The only answer you will get is "you will hear sometime before the end of March."

I don't recommend calling. But someone needs to find out when the committee is meeting. I'm sure they have a day or two when everything will be finished.

thanks for the reply DK. Hopefully we'll hear something by the end of the week.:eek:

Why aren't there more of us obsessing?

I read in a thread from last year that they reject 50% post interview. Anyone know if that's true?

About 6-700 interviewed and only 220 acceptance including those taken off waitlist, 50% rejection sounds quite plausible.

Since they just finished interviewing last week, probably will take them another week to make decisions. So late March will be when everybody hears back I guess.

They seem generous with the early acceptances, wonder how many more outright acceptances they are offering? Probably not many.

I'm so close to sending another letter. I think its too late though. Doh.

One thing I have learned from this process: DO NOT BOMBARD THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE WITH LETTERS OR CALLS!

CCW

Good luck Dr Kevin!

I'm pulling for you, doc kev. I can see that you'd give up multiple limbs to attend Cornell. That's serious determination! :clap:

Originally posted by TheFlash
I'm pulling for you, doc kev. I can see that you'd give up multiple limbs to attend Cornell. That's serious determination! :clap:

After giving up all the limbs, I wonder what specialty you can still go into? ;)

I believe that being a clinical psychologist is still an option at that time, you only need your mouth!

I read in a thread from last year that they reject 50% post interview. Anyone know if that's true?
[/QUOTE

DK, relax a little, please...

You've already been accepted to some top 20 schools.

The decision is out of your hands at this point, so why obsess?

Has anyone on the west coast received anything via snail mail, aside from rejections early in the application cycle?

Originally posted by BaseballFan

[/QUOTE

DK, relax a little, please...

You've already been accepted to some top 20 schools.

The decision is out of your hands at this point, so why obsess?

I'm relaxed. :)