Cornell March Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Emails went out. An hour ago for me. :thumbup: Good luck everyone.

Well that's interesting.

Congrats, to you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, but it looks like i'm already unlucky.

what about the ppl interviewing this week? it would really suck if they're just interviewing for a waitlist. maybe they're doing more than one batch before the waitlist/rejection letters this year. oh well. i still have great options, just not my favorite.

edit: for the record, i interviewed around october.

thanks, but it looks like i'm already unlucky.

what about the ppl interviewing this week? it would really suck if they're just interviewing for a waitlist. maybe they're doing more than one batch before the waitlist/rejection letters this year. oh well. i still have great options, just not my favorite.

Did I sense a hint of resignation? Don't you want to wait and see if they're staggering the emails?

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
i got the email today interviewed early jan

:D :D

Interviewed last Thursday, 3/8.

Talk about fast turnaround! Good luck to you guys:luck: :luck: , hope to see some of you at revisit.

wow! it finally is mid-march!

did your status change on the website, or did you just get an email?

I don't suppose both your last names start with "A" or something, do they?

Ugh.

Did I sense a hint of resignation? Don't you want to wait and see if they're staggering the emails?

;)

haha. well, i could be wrong, but i think last year's thread shows that they weren't staggered. and it seems to be more the case with each person that posts an acceptance.

it's sort of resignation, for the sake of my happiness. cornell is one of two places i interviewed this cycle that both became head-and-shoulders at the top of my list, but at which i was also an average candidate in terms of numbers. so i never felt like an acceptance was a "given". at the same time, it's not fun to interview at a place, find out that it's where you want to go the most, and then get rejected. it looks like it might happen again. and if i'm lucky i'll be stuck on a waitlist several months before it happens. :rolleyes:

anyway, congratulations to those accepted. i imagine for many of you it's also a top choice.

Yup. Got the acceptance email at 12:17pm today!

EDIT: I interviewed 2/15 and my last name is in the second half of the alphabet. Hope you guys hear good news soon!

Yup. Got the acceptance email at 12:17pm today!

EDIT: I interviewed 2/15 and my last name is in the second half of the alphabet. Hope you guys hear good news soon!

I think I interviewed with you!

Congratulations!

Last name is in the first half of the alphabet...my status page didn't change, though. I think it's only by email, and my email said that they'd send me a letter tomorrow.

Good luck to all!! :D :D :D

It might be the case that they will send out decisions for those who interviewed early in the season, like before January, later. I just called the office and the lady told me they will be making decisions until the end of March...... Sigh

Well, I didnt get one and I interviewed early on lol. Congrats to everyone that did. I knew this was coming anyways, here I go WashU :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be the case that they will send out decisions for those who interviewed early in the season, like before January, later. I just called the office and the lady told me they will be making decisions until the end of March...... Sigh

I feel the first sentence may be a bit of a conspiracy theory. However, it seems by your second comment that Cornell has a slightly different approach to non-rolling admissions. It's not a one-time accept everybody at the same time approach as it is interview everyone and at the end make decisions over a few weeks. Don't doubt your chances until you get a bad letter.

i got the acceptance e-mail this afternoon!

(non-personalized, so a little afraid that it was sent by mistake.)

i got the acceptance e-mail this afternoon!

(non-personalized, so a little afraid that it was sent by mistake.)

RELAX. You got it. You're in. Look at the "to:" field. Was it sent to your email address? Yeah, you're all set.

Also, congratulations!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

:scared: Did anyone get in today who interviewed before January?

I interviewed in mid sept and didn't hear anything yet. I called the admissions office and was told no decision had been made on my application. I can't imagine that is a positive thing, even though they said it could mean they didn't get to my file yet. Not believable since I interviewed so long ago. Cornell seems to be a form of rolling throughout March.

interviewed 12/7 and no email. i sure hope this theory is correct! :rolleyes:

I interviewed mid-december and no news....

just browsing mdapps - and it seems that still the acceptances are leaning toward URM and MSTP or MD/PhD candidates... not sure if that means anything... i feel like there would be more people accepted out of the stellar SDN applicants if they had sent out all the acceptances today...

just browsing mdapps - and it seems that still the acceptances are leaning toward URM and MSTP or MD/PhD candidates... not sure if that means anything... i feel like there would be more people accepted out of the stellar SDN applicants if they had sent out all the acceptances today...

My guess would be that most people won't get around to updating their mdapps for a while. They are too busy being happy.

Congrats all who got the e-mail! time to start a class thread. :D

last name begins with letter from last 3rd of the alphabet
neither MSTP nor URM
interviewed mid-december
thought (first) interview went not so well

I'm not URM, MSTP or MD/PHD. I think Cornell has medical students that don't fall into these categories, right?

Congrats to all the acceptees! :D Go Big Red! You guys will have to let me know how revisit weekend went since I'll be unable to attend :(

I'm not URM, MSTP or MD/PHD. I think Cornell has medical students that don't fall into these categories, right?

Congrats to all the acceptees! :D Go Big Red! You guys will have to let me know how revisit weekend went since I'll be unable to attend :(

Applicant Profile, #07431:
Ethnicity: Hispanic-American
Home State: MD

not disparaging urms here, just :confused:

Your MDApps says you are Hispanic-American...doesn't this count as URM?

When you fill out a med-apps you fill out your race/ethnicity and then you either check URM or you don't. When I applied using AMCAS, I am not classified as an URM. If you are Hispanic-American and want to be classified as URM you have to be from certain ethnic backgrounds/regions (I believe it is Puerto Rico, Mexico, and maybe some in Central America). My family is from South America, thus I am not classified as URM.

Just got home, checked this thread, got really depressed.

I called the admissions office and asked if all of the acceptances went out today, and she said no, just some of them went out today and that there were still decisions to be made. The rest will come out by the end of the month, but they don't have an exact date.

I can't wait for the waiting to be over.

I'm starting to wonder if the decisions to be made late in the month are for people interviewing during this month. I'm afraid that those of us who interviewed a while back should either be in today or not at all. :(

I called the admissions office and asked if all of the acceptances went out today, and she said no, just some of them went out today and that there were still decisions to be made. The rest will come out by the end of the month, but they don't have an exact date.

sorry you didn't hear either, ahoyfatty. i'm really rooting for you cause i know how much cornell means to you.

I'm starting to wonder if the decisions to be made late in the month are for people interviewing during this month. I'm afraid that those of us who interviewed a while back should either be in today or not at all. :(

Maybe they're saving some border-line people from earlier in the season to compare to those they're interviewing through March?

Ugh, I am so over applying to med school.

Thanks for the update ahoyfatty!

Thanks for making that call. For some reason, I feel a little better.... but not that much. Anyways, good luck to everyone still waiting, hopefully we'll hear some good news sooner rather than later. blah

sorry you didn't hear either, ahoyfatty. i'm really rooting for you cause i know how much cornell means to you.

Thanks a lot; I've been rooting for you too. I guess it's not over 'till it's over, but my optimism has significantly faded.

When you fill out a med-apps you fill out your race/ethnicity and then you either check URM or you don't.

People on SDN seem to think this, (and say things like, did you apply as a URM?) but I'm almost positive that's not how it works. I remember that you either check "disadvantaged" or not, but I really don't think there is such a check for URM or not. You just specify your racial and ethnic backgrounds, whatever they may be, and I think the schools decide whether or not you are URM. So even if you don't think you are a URM (if you are South American, for example), some schools may view you as such.

Anyway, this is just my thinking, and what do I know? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I'm not try to take away from anyone's accomplishments here; I'm just trying to clarify since I think I fall under this category (URM gray area) myself.

Cheers and good luck everyone

I seriously doubt there is a method to the madness. If I had to guess, I would believe them when they say:

"We select our class in early March, after all candidates have been interviewed, to give everyone the same chance."

From talking to my interviewer and the admissions people, it really seems that they look at everyone's application around the same time that they finish interviewing. And START accepting people then, independent of when you interviewed. That means that they probably sent out a round today, and they'll send out more as they meet again. It's not over until the fat lady sings. (And for those of you that don't have a singing fat lady for a mail-woman, it's over when your mailman brings a bad letter). Good luck.

Got the e-mail this morning! Interviewed late January.

It seems the earliest interview of today's acceptances was mid december. There has been no word from any Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov interviewers. Chime in if you are out there (although you will be crushing the hope I have left)

theory:

the ppl accepted in december were cream-of-the-crop/mstp/urm fall interviewees.

the ppl accepted today are cream-of-the-crop/mstp/urm winter interviewees.

now they decide who among the dregs of the entire season gets the remaining acceptances, waitlist spots, and rejections.

People on SDN seem to think this, (and say things like, did you apply as a URM?) but I'm almost positive that's not how it works. I remember that you either check "disadvantaged" or not, but I really don't think there is such a check for URM or not. You just specify your racial and ethnic backgrounds, whatever they may be, and I think the schools decide whether or not you are URM. So even if you don't think you are a URM (if you are South American, for example), some schools may view you as such.

Anyway, this is just my thinking, and what do I know? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I'm not try to take away from anyone's accomplishments here; I'm just trying to clarify since I think I fall under this category (URM gray area) myself.

Cheers and good luck everyone

Ok, I'd rather not hijack this thread to talk about URM/Disadvantaged students issues, but alas it came up here. When filling out AMCAS there is one place to fill out ethnicity/race. Here I checked "other, hispanic-american" for ethnicity and "white" for race (confusing, I know but that's how it must be done, my mom is hispanic and my dad is caucasian). Then two questions later it asks "Are you applying as a disadvantaged student?" and here I replied "No." Now I don't know if URM and disadvantaged are one and the same. IMO they are, but perhaps medical schools don't look at it this way. I can't check now because my AMCAS is already submitted, but I'm pretty sure I remember that in order to be classified as disadvantaged you had to be from specific ethnicities that were listed (hence the under-represented minority).

Ok, I'd rather not hijack this thread to talk about URM/Disadvantaged students issues, but alas it came up here. When filling out AMCAS there is one place to fill out ethnicity/race. Here I checked "other, hispanic-american" for ethnicity and "white" for race (confusing, I know but that's how it must be done, my mom is hispanic and my dad is caucasian). Then two questions later it asks "Are you applying as a disadvantaged student?" and here I replied "No." Now I don't know if URM and disadvantaged are one and the same. IMO they are, but perhaps medical schools don't look at it this way. I can't check now because my AMCAS is already submitted, but I'm pretty sure I remember that in order to be classified as disadvantaged you had to be from specific ethnicities that were listed (hence the under-represented minority).

Yeah what you described there agrees with what I remember - you don't check URM or not; you check disadvantaged or not, which I don't think has anything to do with URM status. Cool.

There is no URM checkbox. However, checking off a certain race/ethnicity does not make you "disadvantaged." Disadvantaged is completely different in the world of AMCAS. Gosh...

I also made a leap and called the admissions office regarding the acceptances given out today.

I was told the following:

They will be making appointments throughout the rest of March in batches and to sit tight for a few more weeks.

My conclusion is that this year Cornell is a non-rolling rolling school :laugh:
Hopefully acceptances will continue to trickle out through the end of the month. I guess it makes sense this way so that people have time to accept/withdraw the offer and therefore they can minimize the number of people they put on the waitlist and maximize the number of acceptances they can give before notifying most of the applicant pool if that makes sense.

Good luck to everyone still waiting :luck: :luck:

Did anyone who was accepted start a class thread? I couldn't find one, and I don't want to duplicate.

theory:

the ppl accepted in december were cream-of-the-crop/mstp/urm fall interviewees.

the ppl accepted today are cream-of-the-crop/mstp/urm winter interviewees.

now they decide who among the dregs of the entire season gets the remaining acceptances, waitlist spots, and rejections.

I am going to nitpick. All MSTP decisions are made in December. After that you can only come off the MSTP waitlist. Not that this matters much to anyone on this thread but as an MSTP person myself I was extremely gratefull for that early notification deadline.

Does anyone know when the next batch of acceptance e-mails/letters go out? It seems they will keep going out till the end of March, but I wonder if they're only meeting once a week to discuss apps...

Not URM, not MSTP, acceptance email sent at noon today! Loved Cornell! Can't wait to meet y'all at second look!

late November interview, heard nothing today. just another data point for you conspiracy theorists out there.