Cornell March Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suspect that after the news from Columbia, this thread will become increasingly popular.

Members don't see this ad.

I walk by Olin Hall every day on my way to work....makes my pulse race every time:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Detroit-
I shall see if I get up the nerve.....if I do, or hear anything, I will post immediatly!

So I called the admissions office today to see if they are still giving out interviews, and it turns out that they still have invitations to give out and that they will now be interviewing until the end of March. I'm not sure what that means for y'all that have interviewed already though.

So I called the admissions office today to see if they are still giving out interviews, and it turns out that they still have invitations to give out and that they will now be interviewing until the end of March. I'm not sure what that means for y'all that have interviewed already though.

Excuse me, what?????

;)

Really?? I was sure March 15 would be the last day for interviews. Blech, more waiting = :thumbdown:

Yep. that's true. My friend just got an interview invite LAST WEEK. He turned it down though.

i wonder if extending the interview season is a good sign for those who've already interviewed . . .

i wonder if extending the interview season is a good sign for those who've already interviewed . . .

...or maybe they hated us all so much they decided to keep searching for better options:cool:

...or maybe they hated us all so much they decided to keep searching for better options:cool:

. . . or maybe our early interviews set such high standards that they've been desperately searching since for applicants like us :D

. . . ok, probably what you said :(

Members don't see this ad :)
More likely that there were excellent applications still sitting there after all the planned interview appointments were made. It gets very hard to turn away an applicant who compares favorably with the very best applicant who matriculated last year. Cornell isn't the only school in this situation this year.

It seems to me that Cornell was taking a long time to extend invites to completed applicants this application season, so maybe they're just really behind on reviewing applications and extending invites this year. In my case, it took me 3.5 months to get an invite! Now, whether that's cuz I'm so awfully undesirable or because they're really slow, I don't know but I'd like to think it's the latter ;)

More likely that there were excellent applications still sitting there after all the planned interview appointments were made. It gets very hard to turn away an applicant who compares favorably with the very best applicant who matriculated last year. Cornell isn't the only school in this situation this year.

ugh, i should've applied last year.

it's gonna be a long week and a half.

It's weird. I remember seeing on one thread that someone who was complete in August received an invite recently. It's at least six months later. I'm hoping for the same thing to happen for me as well. And they've sent out a couple of batches of rejections already too.

It's weird. I remember seeing on one thread that someone who was complete in August received an invite recently. It's at least six months later. I'm hoping for the same thing to happen for me as well. And they've sent out a couple of batches of rejections already too.

well it sounds like you still have a shot. my invite came soon after i submitted in the fall. if what LizzyM thinks is happening is correct, it probably means more to get an interview now than it did back in the fall. good luck.

^thanks for the link to the Times article.

well it sounds like you still have a shot. my invite came soon after i submitted in the fall. if what LizzyM thinks is happening is correct, it probably means more to get an interview now than it did back in the fall. good luck.

Of course, this is also the time of year for the courtesy interviews and if there are more of those this year than in the past, then a few extra interview days might be needed (these are "special interests" of the dean, hospital board of directors, development office, etc -- sometimes the applicant doesn't have the stats to get admitted but they are given an interview anyway -- but seldom do they merit admission so some of these late interviewees are not to be feared - if you know what I mean).

*bump*

eight more days to go? let's hope.

thanks for the encouraging words, LizzyM.

Good Look everyone! :luck:
I'm am most likely going to matriculate at cornell (thank god MSTP deicions are in December). Let's hope they send out those decisions soon.

Has anyone called the admissions office to find out when decisions are mailed?

I interviewed yesterday. They told me last interviews are next week and they're starting decision-making tuesday. Good luck to everyone. I loved it, great school.

I interviewed yesterday. They told me last interviews are next week and they're starting decision-making tuesday. Good luck to everyone. I loved it, great school.

well, this *is* more consistent with what most people have heard and what i would like to believe. :D

fwiw, the cornell thread from *two* years ago shows that the decisions came out on Friday, March 4, 2005:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=168740&highlight=cornell+acceptance

i have a pat-robertson-like prescience about me that says march 16th is the big day.

Of course, this is also the time of year for the courtesy interviews and if there are more of those this year than in the past, then a few extra interview days might be needed (these are "special interests" of the dean, hospital board of directors, development office, etc -- sometimes the applicant doesn't have the stats to get admitted but they are given an interview anyway -- but seldom do they merit admission so some of these late interviewees are not to be feared - if you know what I mean).

Hmmm....not that I have any connection whatsoever to Cornell, but this doesn't make me feel much better about my 11th hour interview invite. :eek:

well, this *is* more consistent with what most people have heard and what i would like to believe. :D

fwiw, the cornell thread from *two* years ago shows that the decisions came out on Friday, March 4, 2005:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=168740&highlight=cornell+acceptance

i have a pat-robertson-like prescience about me that says march 16th is the big day.

Well whatever is going on, they (at Cornell) aren't being consistent and/or aren't talking with each other. My earlier post about them interviewing until the end of March and still granting interviews as of earlier this week was based on a phone call I had with admissions. Maybe someone else should call admissions to see what's up? Of course I understand that y'all would want to hear as early as possible...I just know what I heard on the phone.

Well whatever is going on, they (at Cornell) aren't being consistent and/or aren't talking with each other. My earlier post about them interviewing until the end of March and still granting interviews as of earlier this week was based on a phone call I had with admissions. Maybe someone else should call admissions to see what's up? Of course I understand that y'all would want to hear as early as possible...I just know what I heard on the phone.

I called the admissions office myself this morning. Interviews are still being given out and will last until the end of March. Acceptances will be given out by the end of March as well. My guess is as good as yours, but this is the second time I have called them this week, so I'm going to believe what admissions told me this morning...for my own sake.:)

Cornell rocks! (Until they reject me, at which point they will cease to rock...in my heart.)

I called the admissions office myself this morning. Interviews are still being given out and will last until the end of March. Acceptances will be given out by the end of March as well. My guess is as good as yours, but this is the second time I have called them this week, so I'm going to believe what admissions told me this morning...for my own sake.:)

ugh, who knows?

my status page still reads

"Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then."

i'm engaging in serious speculation here, but i do kinda wonder if what you've been told is just the easier answer for an adcom secretary to give. s/he has lots of pre-interview applicants calling her, and does s/he really want to be the one to tell them that the interviews have already been given out? this would automatically imply rejection, and does s/he really want to be the one to tell applicants this every day? maybe cornell doesn't want him/her to have that role, and so they provided a scripted response. saying everything's done by the end of march, while knowing that decisions will be sent out in mid-march, would be misleading for applicants but easier for the call-taker to handle. this would also account for why those who interviewed this week were given the mid-march spiel instead. again, pure speculation here.

SDNers are such conspiracy theorists:p

ugh, who knows?

my status page still reads

"Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then."

i'm engaging in serious speculation here, but i do kinda wonder if what you've been told is just the easier answer for an adcom secretary to give. s/he has lots of pre-interview applicants calling her, and does s/he really want to be the one to tell them that the interviews have already been given out? this would automatically imply rejection, and does s/he really want to be the one to tell applicants this every day? maybe cornell doesn't want him/her to have that role, and so they provided a scripted response. saying everything's done by the end of march, while knowing that decisions will be sent out in mid-march, would be misleading for applicants but easier for the call-taker to handle. this would also account for why those who interviewed this week were given the mid-march spiel instead. again, pure speculation here.

I could see where you are coming from. Perhaps it would be best for someone who has interviewed to call and ask when decisions are coming out. We'll see what happens I guess.

I could see where you are coming from. Perhaps it would be best for someone who has interviewed to call and ask when decisions are coming out. We'll see what happens I guess.

Those who have interviewed are scared to taint their application by whining about when acceptances are coming out.

SDNers are such conspiracy theorists:p

hey! i prefer to think of it as practicing my differential diagnosis skills . . .

edit: and yeah, i'm too chicken to call.

Those who have interviewed are scared to taint their application by whining about when acceptances are coming out.

I can understand that. I'm just not sure that it's 100% necessary to specifically identify yourself when calling. Just food for thought, but yeah I can understand where you're coming from.

I really want to say that this conclusion is rational, but it's probably just me being optimistic. The thing that someone heard at their interview about decisions being sent out next week is probably more accurate. The admissions office secretary probably has a standard line that she uses from October until the day notices go out. It's always better to allow yourself some extra time in case something goes wrong than to say "they'll be out by March 12" and then have 800 kids calling the office on March 13 if they're not out in time.

Sounds reasonable, but I also need to be optimistic. This wait.... now 5 months... is killing me! And I would do anything to get into Cornell.

Anything? Now let's be reasonable.

Hehe, the funny thing is that all of what we are saying is based on speculation, "what ifs," and conflicting pieces of information that we have heard from the place we applied to, so no matter what we say here, it's not going to affect when interviews are done and when acceptances come out.

I know that there actually isn't a standard line that they have been using the whole year because initially interviews were supposed to go until the beginning of March (the little important dates thing on the faw page of their website says that the class is announced in early March and the thread that was found from 2 years ago showed March 4 as the dates acceptances were announced), when I called in late January interviews were supposed to end in mid March, and now they are saying late March to me.

bbabul01...when you interviewed, who mentioned that interviews were over next week? Was it one of the interviewers or a Dean or an admissions staff person?

I'm not a fan of admissions' mind games. At least some other schools are awesome enough to reject me without fooling around like this :)

do you all honestly think that they dont make decisiions until all interviews are done? that is ******ed. all of us who interviewed as early as 3 weeks ago im sure have decisisions made already. im sure they are mailing htem last week regardless if they are interviewing more people.

do you all honestly think that they dont make decisiions until all interviews are done? that is ******ed. all of us who interviewed as early as 3 weeks ago im sure have decisisions made already. im sure they are mailing htem last week regardless if they are interviewing more people.

While I believe that it would be nice and more fair to those who have interviewed already to do what you say, their website says the following:

"Does Weill Cornell have rolling admissions?
No. Most acceptances are announced in March, after all interviews have been completed. At that time we also establish a wait list. As spring progresses, offers of admission are extended periodically to students on the wait list. "

Yeah I bet they probably have some decisions made already (especially for people that are really awesome), but I think that it is hard to be sure to say that they will send out their decisions when they claim to be non-rolling for handing out acceptances (the applicants that aren't part of the "most" listed above are announced in December). In any case, we'll see in the weeks to come.

Hey guys,

I'm a current 1st year at Cornell, and I disagree that:

a. There aren't many enthusiastic cheerleaders of Cornell here.

There are plenty of us, but on certain days of the week we will have histology lab that runs 5 or 10 minutes over or anatomy lab in which we spend a few minutes extra past 1pm so we can identify everything on our checklist (as well as change so we don't smell like crap), precluding us from getting to the interview lunch in time to chat. I apologize for this, but rest assured, we will be out in full force come Revisit Weekend.

b. That people chose Cornell because it was the only top school they got into.

A few rejected WashU, several (including me) declined Hopkins, others decided against Mich and Columbia, two of my friends decided Penn was not for them, one I know didn't want to go to Harvard, and many others did not want to attend Yale. These are all great schools, and any choice you make is a legitimate choice. But don't believe for the second that all of us chose Cornell because it was the "best" or most "highly-ranked" school that we got into.

c. That the lack of a physical greenspace is a great disability.

Many of us play basketball every other day (and work out) in the gym that's right below us (a godsend when it's 15 degrees outside), others run alongside the river, several own bikes and ride around the city, and when the weather was warmer, people went to study/throw the frisbee at Central Park, which is a few avenues down.

d. That comfort and location aren't strong considerations.

I'll be honest, first semester was a relative picnic, but second semester here is tough, and it'll only get tougher second year and third (although fourth years don't do too much), and you want to be in a place that distracts and diverts you enough to keep your happy and sane. Yes, being in Manhattan was a strong consideration for me, especially since I'm a young person in my early twenties and I believe there is no better time to experience a big city (or in this case, the city). And it didn't hurt that several of my friends were going to be in the city too. But considering location is a personal choice, and if you don't particularly care for big cities (and I have friends from college who would much rather be in a smaller, more quaint city), then like I said before, that's a very legitimate choice.

e. That most people chose Cornell because of its location.

Like I said, location was a strong consideration, but many chose Cornell because we all liked each other on revisit, because the then 1st years and current 2nd years were fun but also accomplished and talented and a good barometer of what would be in store for us, because our curriculum allows us to study how we want instead of dictating that we be in lecture until 5, because NY-Pres is one of the top hospitals in the country (especially great for surgery and any of the surgical subspecialties), because Memorial Sloan Kettering is one of the top if not the top cancer institutions in the country, because the hospital for special surgery is one of the top if not top ortho places in the country, because Rockefeller has the most number of Nobel Lauerates per square inch in the country and you can work with them, because Cornell pays for you to go wherever you want in the world since we have such an international presence (we already have one medical school in Quatar), because Cornell will pay for your MPH, etc.

f. That we are all lax students. Believe me, we are in general chill, but in the end, we study hard and get our **** done. In the early urology match conducted already, we had matches to USC, Penn, Baylor, Brigham, and Hopkins. If you work, you'll match where you want from Cornell.

g. That we aren't diverse.

Out of my closest friends, one is Cuban, one is of Hispanic origin, one is part Native American, and one is of Polish decent. We have several Indians, Persians, Russians, Asian-Americans, from the Carribean, blacks, gay/lesbian etc. What anyone saw from their interview day is only an impercise snapshot.

Anyways, I hope I cleared a few myths. Of course our med school is not perfect. The first semester is a bit too long (basic science), sometimes grades don't get back in a timely fashion, sometimes your PBL group doesn't work out (I've been blesssed to have two good groups in a row), but then again, if you ask any current first year in any med school, they will have complaints as well. Med school is what you make it, and at the end, you will all have great choices to make and will have to weigh many factors including ranking, location, curriculum, people. Whatever weight you decide to give each factor is up to you. Good luck, and don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions about Cornell or in general.

While I believe that it would be nice and more fair to those who have interviewed already to do what you say, their website says the following:

"Does Weill Cornell have rolling admissions?
No. Most acceptances are announced in March, after all interviews have been completed. At that time we also establish a wait list. As spring progresses, offers of admission are extended periodically to students on the wait list. "

Yeah I bet they probably have some decisions made already (especially for people that are really awesome), but I think that it is hard to be sure to say that they will send out their decisions when they claim to be non-rolling for handing out acceptances (the applicants that aren't part of the "most" listed above are announced in December). In any case, we'll see in the weeks to come.

The "most" referred to, from what I could understand, select students who were accepted periodically throughout the year.

Is there any way we can get a definite decisions date to look forward to?

I'm definitely going insane.

On their website, it twice says the decisions come in "early March." On the status checker, it says "mid March." Hopefully they won't make us wait longer than this week, but I have a bad gut feeling that they will. Anyone have any ideas on how to coax the admissions people into giving up the date? Perhaps someone has an interview this week and could ask them?

they can't wait that long, their second look is april 6-7 isnt it?

Optimism abounds! This makes sense - for courtesy purposes, they should give us at least a couple of weeks to schedule the second look weekend. So maybe I still can hope for this week.

I had a friend stop by and ask a bit ago who is a cornell med student and he was told 'mid march.'........

Did anyone else get the email today? :D

Emails went out. An hour ago for me. :thumbup: Good luck everyone.