Cornell March Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed mid december, and did not hear a thing...I hope you guys are right about them reviewing us in batches...good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Could one of you lucky accepted people let us know when your status page changes to reflect the acceptance? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to be a downer here, but it looks like last year all the acceptance emails went out on the same day, but people were still told by the admissions office that not all acceptances had been sent out. There was a lot of talk about multiple batches, but not a single person posted that they got an acceptance after the initial emails were sent out. So for those who got accepted, conratulations. For the rest of us, hopefully we'll have better luck with the waitlist.

Here's last year's thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=262297&page=6&highlight=cornell

Members don't see this ad :)
That's horribly depressing and I'm going to go ahead and say you're wrong. I still contend that it's not over until the thin envelopes show up.

And my status page hasn't changed. It still says thanks for interviewing.

Sorry to be a downer here, but it looks like last year all the acceptance emails went out on the same day, but people were still told by the admissions office that not all acceptances had been sent out. There was a lot of talk about multiple batches, but not a single person posted that they got an acceptance after the initial emails were sent out. So for those who got accepted, conratulations. For the rest of us, hopefully we'll have better luck with the waitlist.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=262297&page=6&highlight=cornell

Wow, makes me especially glad I declined my interview (not even scheduled until tomorrow). Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

My first of two interviews at Cornell didn't go so well so I am expecting a wt list or rejection despite being a very competitive candidate. That being said, I believe I had an unfair interview. Three examples of the questions/statements I received were the following?

1) I see you will be X years old in September of 2007, don't you think you are too old for medical school?

2) Talk to me about what you like to do in your spare time, but don't talk about snowboarding, because I hate snowboarding. (This was one of my extracurrics on my application)

3) My interviewer opened up the interview by telling me about himself and his goal to bring more music students to the med school since they graduate out of carnegie hall and the school is located in cultural NYC. (While I have done a lot, including playing baseball in college, this was not on my application and was mentioned to make me uncomfortable)

I didn't mention any of this to Cornell Admissions after my interview because I didn't want to sound like I was whining over a stress interview before seeing what the result of my application was ultimately? I am very much considering complaining though if I am waitlisted or rejected. What does everyone think. Everyone I have mentioned this interview to believes it was an unfair and inappropriate interview.

That is so sad. It's worse than sad. That is cruel.

My first of two interviews at Cornell didn't go so well so I am expecting a wt list or rejection despite being a very competitive candidate. That being said, I believe I had an unfair interview. Three examples of the questions/statements I received were the following?

1) I see you will be X years old in September of 2007, don't you think you are too old for medical school?

2) Talk to me about what you like to do in your spare time, but don't talk about snowboarding, because I hate snowboarding. (This was one of my extracurrics on my application)

3) My interviewer opened up the interview by telling me about himself and his goal to bring more music students to the med school since they graduate out of carnegie hall and the school is located in cultural NYC. (While I have done a lot, including playing baseball in college, this was not on my application and was mentioned to make me uncomfortable)

I didn't mention any of this to Cornell Admissions after my interview because I didn't want to sound like I was whining over a stress interview before seeing what the result of my application was ultimately? I am very much considering complaining though if I am waitlisted or rejected. What does everyone think. Everyone I have mentioned this interview to believes it was an unfair and inappropriate interview.

You can do whatever you like, but since your interviewer didn't bring up sex, religion, or politics, I don't think you have much to stand on. Interviewers have their own personalities and agendas, and they're not always nice people. It sounds like you had an unpleasant interview, but certainly not an inappropriate one.

That is so sad. It's worse than sad. That is cruel.

I'm sorry, but I'm right there with you. Yesterday was a painful day for me as I'm sure it was for a lot of us. I figure it's better to know the truth, though. What does seem cruel to me, however, is that the admissions office won't admit that they've sent out all of the acceptances (if that is really the case). It looks like they did the same thing last year and a lot people went through another week of hoping for, and worrying about, an acceptance that wasn't going to come.

But seriously, not all those who received acceptances can (or will) go to Cornell, so if we get waitlisted (I probably got rejected--I have a habit of getting rejected after interviews--so this won't even apply to me) there will be movement and more acceptances.

Let us shower in the joy.

I'm sorry, but I'm right there with you. Yesterday was a painful day for me as I'm sure it was for a lot of us. I figure it's better to know the truth, though. What does seem cruel to me, however, is that the admissions office won't admit that they've sent out all of the acceptances (if that is really the case). It looks like they did the same thing last year and a lot people went through another week of hoping for, and worrying about, an acceptance that wasn't going to come.

agree that it's not fun to have smoke blown up one's @ss and adcoms should avoid it. at the same time, it doesn't seem likely or appropriate for an adcom secretary to be handing out implied rejections over the phone. viable solution would be to release all decisions simultaneously via the same means (mail and maybe email), not lie to applicants.

edit: adcoms probably don't conceive that applicants talk to each other in real life or on internet forums, so they're probably inclined to think that lying doesn't have a big impact on their image. i hope cornell proves me wrong this year by accepting more people pre-waitlist as they promised, but i expect the same thing that happened last year to occur this year.

The US Army Health Professions Scholarship Program is a great way to pay for medical school...I know NYC is expensive enough as it is. Please visit my website for more info:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/1stbde/1zbn/NYCHPSP

I hope to hear from you!!

CPT Letourneau

i see how it is. us cornell rejects ain't good enough for the army. fine. desert climates don't agree with me anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
aaaargh!! i guess another post-interview rejection/waitlist to add to the pile!!! :mad: :mad: :(

I have got to stop going on SDN, because it just depresses me. I say, just let the chips fall where they may. Ignorance is so much more blissful!

At this point, if I get waitlisted, it better result in an acceptance. I don't know that I'm up for another several months of hope and anticipation followed by disappointment.

I am still holding hope that last year's situation is not a reflection of what is going on this time around. We'll have to wait and see however.... time will tell!

Totally agree. Sorry, I wasn't referring to your post, but to the possibility of the admissions office lying about more acceptances going out. :thumbdown: Cornell.

I can't believe that they're still interviewing people without telling them that it's for a waitlist spot at best. That's pretty awful.

Also, why didn't any early interviewees get in yesterday? Do they give out more December acceptances than they let on??

I don't know, it all seems pretty fishy to me. I'm with bbabul on this one - don't assume anything until the letter is in your hand.

It seems that last year they were done interviewing, though, by the time those first acceptances went out. Who knows? Maybe there's more spots left! I hope so...

This doesn't surprise me at all. I interviewed at 10+ places and usually met with at least 2 people at each interview, and my Cornell interview was BY FAR the absolute WORST experience of this whole process. The funny thing is that there were 3 other people in my interview group who said the exact same thing (though we all interviewed with different people).

And it wasn't just a matter of, you know, "I just didn't click with my interviewer." It truly was: "he was cruel to me from the minute I walked in the door. I am certain his goal was to make me cry."

I'm glad someone else is venting about this. Though the students and dean seemed great, I had a horrible experience with my Cornell interviewer. I'm hoping it was a designed stress interview. I really hate to think that someone would have such negative feelings about me that he could be so nasty to my face.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7640

that would be pretty unethical to interview candidates who don't know they are only vying for waitlist spots. if they are still interviewing for another week (is this confirmed to be true? anybody?), then there must be some acceptances left to give out. perhaps they already emailed all of their "definite" people, and now they still have a few to give out after completing the last bit of interviews. but it would be wrong to still have people interviewing, who have spent time and money to travel to NY, and then not even have acceptances left to give them.

so perhaps things are different this year than last year. and hey, you may have gotten accepted and somehow not gotten the email. for my college acceptance email 5 years ago, i never got the intended acceptance email on the big decision day because it was stopped by AOL's spam filtering. i had to wait several days longer, and only found out my acceptance later from the snail mail letter. =)

good luck! (for all of us) :luck:

yeah, my first interviewer wasn't exactly a ray of sunshine either. do you think we all had the same guy?

This doesn't surprise me at all. I interviewed at 10+ places and usually met with at least 2 people at each interview, and my Cornell interview was BY FAR the absolute WORST experience of this whole process. The funny thing is that there were 3 other people in my interview group who said the exact same thing (though we all interviewed with different people).

And it wasn't just a matter of, you know, "I just didn't click with my interviewer." It truly was: "he was cruel to me from the minute I walked in the door. I am certain his goal was to make me cry."

I'm glad someone else is venting about this. Though the students and dean seemed great, I had a horrible experience with my Cornell interviewer. I'm hoping it was a designed stress interview. I really hate to think that someone would have such negative feelings about me that he could be so nasty to my face.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7640

I had a woman who must have been 85. She was dry, shrewd, and unfriendly also. I was very uncomfortable and said some real stupid things. Probably a similar experience to what everyone is talking about.

The second interview with a M4 was much better. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I know for sure that they are still inteviewing.....dont know if they actually have spots left though:(

Ugh. I just read this thread for the first time in a while. And it made me really really sad. I interviewed in November. No email yesterday. Or today.

Congrats to all who got an acceptance. I really think that it is way too early to speculate as to whether or not they are done giving out acceptances. They are interviewing later than expected. Even if they are done interviewing by the end of this week (people have mentioned on SDN that there are interviews this week), this is still later than they have gone in the past from what SDN'ers have said, so it's hard to compare this to last year or the year before when it is a different situation.

I'm still waiting for an interview. I actually dropped off an update/interest letter in person today (I'm local). The receptionist seemed very sincere when she said she would be adding it to my file and when I spoke with her recently about acceptances and interviews going until the end of March (perhaps she just has a good poker face/mad phone answering skills :confused: ). Of course, I'm believing in part what would benefit me the most. At this point though, I don't think we're going to be able to predict what Cornell is going to do next; they are by far the most unpredictable school I applied to.

If they are done accepting, it kind of seems odd to me that they would make themselves have to suffer through all of those phone calls from people that haven't heard a decision when they are just going to waitlist/reject these people later on. Why not make less trouble for themselves and send decisions all at once?

Congrats to all who got an acceptance. I really think that it is way too early to speculate as to whether or not they are done giving out acceptances. They are interviewing later than expected. Even if they are done interviewing by the end of this week (people have mentioned on SDN that there are interviews this week), this is still later than they have gone in the past from what SDN'ers have said, so it's hard to compare this to last year or the year before when it is a different situation.

I'm still waiting for an interview. I actually dropped off an update/interest letter in person today (I'm local). The receptionist seemed very sincere when she said she would be adding it to my file and when I spoke with her recently about acceptances and interviews going until the end of March (perhaps she just has a good poker face/mad phone answering skills :confused: ). Of course, I'm believing in part what would benefit me the most. At this point though, I don't think we're going to be able to predict what Cornell is going to do next; they are by far the most unpredictable school I applied to.

If they are done accepting, it kind of seems odd to me that they would make themselves have to suffer through all of those phone calls from people that haven't heard a decision when they are just going to waitlist/reject these people later on. Why not make less trouble for themselves and send decisions all at once?

these are some of the best and most rationale points anyone has made on this thread yet. we just dont know. you cant compare year to year. sit tight until the email/letter comes. it sucks....

After a long time of no change, my status page now says an admissions decision has been mailed to me. Well, that's that. I interviewed late November.

After a long time of no change, my status page now says an admissions decision has been mailed to me. Well, that's that. I interviewed late November.

Ditto. Decision has been mailed. Interviewed in Jan. C'est la vie.

Does anyone have Cornell's status page link? I think I only have the secondary link. Thanks!

My status page also says that an admissions decision has been mailed. They did the same thing on the status page back in January to a bunch of people, and it pretty much meant rejection.

Doctor Detroit: I would take the fact that yours hasn't changed as a good sign. My guess is that you at least get waitlisted.

My status page also says that an admissions decision has been mailed. They did the same thing on the status page back in January to a bunch of people, and it pretty much meant rejection.

Doctor Detroit: I would take the fact that yours hasn't changed as a good sign. My guess is that you at least get waitlisted.

I'd argue that a decision-been-mailed message could very well mean waitlist. :luck:

(Mine still says thanks for interviewing)

I'd argue that a decision-been-mailed message could very well mean waitlist. :luck:

(Mine still says thanks for interviewing)

as much as i'd love to believe no news is good news, i gotta agree with this. it could really go either way. maybe they want to be quick to send out the waitlist notices (since they're time-sensitive), but they don't mind sitting on the rejection pile for a bit since those have no bearing on future acceptances. time will tell which it is (hopefully you guys will start getting the letters tomorrow).

edit: and my stats are akin to those of "a tree", which is to say a bit below cornell's average. at this point my money's on "no news is bad news."

as much as i'd love to believe no news is good news, i gotta agree with this. it could really go either way. maybe they want to be quick to send out the waitlist notices (since they're time-sensitive), but they don't mind sitting on the rejection pile for a bit since those have no bearing on future acceptances. time will tell which it is (hopefully you guys will start getting the letters tomorrow).

edit: and my stats are akin to those of "a tree", which is to say a bit below cornell's average. at this point my money's on "no news is bad news."

I think it's funny that everyone is assuming that whatever their status is, that is what it means to be rejected. In reality, we're probably all wrong; I'll change my guess to that they're in the process of mailing out both waitlist notices and rejections. I'm going to try to not read too much into whether or not the status page has been changed, because I think that there will be people in both the waitlist and rejection pile from both camps (status page changed or unchanged).

Can't wait for my freakin' letter to stop all the speculation.

I think it's funny that everyone is assuming that whatever their status is, that is what it means to be rejected. In reality, we're probably all wrong; I'll change my guess to that they're in the process of mailing out both waitlist notices and rejections. I'm going to try to not read too much into whether or not the status page has been changed, because I think that there will be people in both the waitlist and rejection pile from both camps (status page changed or unchanged).

Can't wait for my freakin' letter to stop all the speculation.

Yeah, it's probably the lingering burst of optimism we each have after not receiving an acceptance email... ;)

Good luck guys. This has been a crappy news day.

Yeah, it's probably the lingering burst of optimism we each have after not receiving an acceptance email... ;)

At this point (I've really had enough of all this) I'm mostly indifferent with bursts of pessimism. :)

At this point (I've really had enough of all this) I'm mostly indifferent with bursts of pessimism. :)

Haha, yeah, I was being sarcastic. After not getting in, I figure most of us probably have very little optimism left...

An admission decision has been mailed to me also.

I think it means rejection.

still reads:

thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is...

hoping for the best, but bummed out about the HMS poll.

still reads:

thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is...

hoping for the best, but bummed out about the HMS poll.

oh yeh I interviewed in October and the first letter of my last name is towards the end of the alphabet

Ltrain, my friend, Yes. Yes it has. The combination of the Harvard Finaid checker and the Cornell Status page is almost intolerable.

Mine also says a decision has been mailed.

( here's to the Redsox in Cali :luck: )

"Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then."

I don't get why people say, at least you got waitlisted and not rejected. In all honesty, what are the chances of getting off the waitlist at a school like this??? This is frikkin depressing.

Haha, yeah, I was being sarcastic. After not getting in, I figure most of us probably have very little optimism left...

I SWEAR I'm not one of those people that doesn't get sarcasm. I swear!

I nearly booted in the elevator of the hospital I work in when a guy with a Cornell sweatshirt got in on Tuesday. :oops:

I got the same message.."Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then."

So does this mean I have hope, or have they just not made a decision yet? I'm thinking they haven't made a decision on my application. I interviewed in Jan.

this is so random, and it's anybody's guess which message places people into which category. hopefully someone will get a snail mail letter so we can confirm one way or the other. please post if you get any real letters!

mine says "a decision has been mailed." i guess it can go either way, huh?

My guess is this...

Admissions is meeting one more time (prob Friday of this week) and making decisions on all the people who interviewed this week and people who have the "hold" status. they are going to compare people who interviewed recently with the "hold" people and acceptances will go out early next week..just a guess