Cornell March Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well... "An admissions decision has been mailed to you. Please contact us if you have not received anything within two weeks." Changed today. Nothing last week...so.

blah. Waitlist or rejection, probably the latter.

i guess it wasnt meant to be, nyc

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted. I'm happy it's not a rejection, but at the same time, a rejection would mean few worries....

Anyway, I'm happy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I got the status change today as well. Ah well, only one school left.

i also got the status change....darn, was still holding onto that slight chance that i was going to get an acceptance:(

i got the status page change as well.

i called the admissions office yesterday and spoke to the very nice secretary. she got my acmas number and then took a moment to look something up. at that point, her tone became more somber and she said that decisions are still being made and "something will be mailed out soon." knowing what i know (but they don't think i know) about their admissions process, this naturally sent up a red flag. so i asked if any more acceptances were going out. she told me that decisions were still being made about that.

so thank you cornell, for being kind enough to provide enough information for me that i can *infer* the rejection decision you probably made on my application many months ago. it's like they've taken a page from book of the airline industry, politely misleading us and telling us to be patient, when they don't realize we have some inkling of the truth from talking amongst each other. as i said before, in this age of advanced communication technology this is a poor way to run an admissions process. i'm all for a non-rolling process that gives late applicants a fair chance, but they really need to release *all* decisions by the *same delivery means* on the *same date* that is *established in advance*. this way no one needs to get misled or lied to when they inevitably call to seek information, and the mental anguish of this process for applicants is minimized.

ok, rant over. i still have great options that i'm convinced will provide better hands-on clinical training than what cornell would provide, so i shouldn't complain too much.

Well... "An admissions decision has been mailed to you. Please contact us if you have not received anything within two weeks." Changed today. Nothing last week...so.

blah. Waitlist or rejection, probably the latter.

i guess it wasnt meant to be, nyc

i got the same message and was accepted.

May or may not be of note, but the waitlist letter says that they have tentatively filled the class but that they are offering a place on the waitlist. That may or may not be true, but just food for thought I guess.

i got the status page change as well.

i called the admissions office yesterday and spoke to the very nice secretary. she got my acmas number and then took a moment to look something up. at that point, her tone became more somber and she said that decisions are still being made and "something will be mailed out soon." knowing what i know (but they don't think i know) about their admissions process, this naturally sent up a red flag. so i asked if any more acceptances were going out. she told me that decisions were still being made about that.

so thank you cornell, for being kind enough to provide enough information for me that i can *infer* the rejection decision you probably made on my application many months ago. it's like they've taken a page from book of the airline industry, politely misleading us and telling us to be patient, when they don't realize we have some inkling of the truth from talking amongst each other. as i said before, in this age of advanced communication technology this is a poor way to run an admissions process. i'm all for a non-rolling process that gives late applicants a fair chance, but they really need to release *all* decisions by the *same delivery means* on the *same date* that is *established in advance*. this way no one needs to get misled or lied to when they inevitably call to seek information, and the mental anguish of this process for applicants is minimized.

ok, rant over. i still have great options that i'm convinced will provide better hands-on clinical training than what cornell would provide, so i shouldn't complain too much.

:( Sorry to hear it DD. I agree with your rant 100%. Boo for bad admissions. The entire nation should really take a lesson from UMich.

i got the same message and was accepted.

i appreciate acceptees such as yourself being optimistic and supportive, but

1) we didn't get an email (as a tree points out)

2) folks who were rejected around january got the same status page message:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=354915&highlight=cornell+acceptances

3) waitlist letter suggests the class is full (as darksmurf points out)

so it's a rejection.

in lieu of merciless cornell, i hereby reject anyone who has received that status page message today without an acceptance email. there. you can now relax a bit and look into your other options.

So I have neither of the status changes... Does anyone think they may have lost my application? Is anyone else in this situation?

i appreciate acceptees such as yourself being optimistic and supportive, but it's a rejection.

in lieu of merciless cornell, i hereby reject anyone who has received that status page message today without an acceptance email. there. you can now relax a bit and look into your other options.

I think this is the best attitude. I'm a firm beleiver that when one's actions can have no effect on the outcome, it is best to presume the worst and never be disappointed. It's the only way to perserve one's mental health in this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
The entire nation should really take a lesson from UMich.

UMich? The school that told me I was rejected by writing FILE CLOSED on my status page?

my status page changed today to "decision has been mailed" too! this waiting is seriously brutal, i thought my interviews went really well. :(

Sooooo.... last week status change on Wed, NYer gets a waitlist Saturday. This week change is on Tue, I expect a letter Friday.

Or tomorrow.

God I can't wait until this is over.

UMich? The school that told me I was rejected by writing FILE CLOSED on my status page?

Okay, okay, agree that that sucks. But at least they tell you your status at all points in time and tell you exactly when you can expect an update to your status. I appreciated that.

Hang in there guys :)

Sooooo.... last week status change on Wed, NYer gets a waitlist Saturday. This week change is on Tue, I expect a letter Friday.

Or tomorrow.

God I can't wait until this is over.

I live on the UES in NYC and will post the second I get my letter.....thought probably will be bad news...

I live on the UES in NYC and will post the second I get my letter.....thought probably will be bad news...

I'm downtown but I imagine we'll get it together....:luck:

you might get it earlier than friday...they sent my letter last tuesday and i got it in boston on thurs...i assume within the city might be quicker...but then again mail service is always questionable

I'm downtown but I imagine we'll get it together....:luck:

I'll race ya! actually u will prolly win since I can't check my mail 'till after work and Thursday is looking like a long day at work....good luck!

I just got waitlisted. Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted? Whether it is ranked? When I interviewed, one of the deans said that more of the first year class comes from the waitlist than were originally accepted. So that means they take at least 50 off the waitlist. I just don't know if that is 50 out of 100 or 50 out of 500. Anyway, ANY information will be highly appreciated. Can we call and ask, or is that bad?

I just got waitlisted. Does anyone know how many people are waitlisted? Whether it is ranked? When I interviewed, one of the deans said that more of the first year class comes from the waitlist than were originally accepted. So that means they take at least 50 off the waitlist. I just don't know if that is 50 out of 100 or 50 out of 500. Anyway, ANY information will be highly appreciated. Can we call and ask, or is that bad?

If you really want to know, it should probably be included in a letter/email of interest. You should let them know how excited you are about Cornell, and then ask about how your chances are. Personally, I think you're better off keeping your curiosity to a minimum and treat it like you're half way up the list - close enough to have a chance, but far enough away to have to show real interest (through letters, emails, phone calls). Good luck.

Hey Fzma-
If you dont mind, when did your Cornell status page change? Thanks

didn't you get the rejection i sent out yesterday? ;)

Awww.... at least allow people w/ hope to have it for a little while.....

Also, I too am curious about how many people they put on the waitlist---I think calling and asking wouldn't be inappropriate---if you do, let us know what they say.

OK... so, guys, I need opinions. Do you think it would be wise for me to call and ask what happened to my application now or wait it out till the end of March? To reiterate, I have had neither of the status changes of the past two weeks, and at this point I have NO IDEA what to think... So... should I call or wait until the end of March till when the secretaries have said all decisions will be made? I'm worried they lost my stuff-- I was EDP and defferred to the regular pile... What do you guys think?

OK... so, guys, I need opinions. Do you think it would be wise for me to call and ask what happened to my application now or wait it out till the end of March? To reiterate, I have had neither of the status changes of the past two weeks, and at this point I have NO IDEA what to think... So... should I call or wait until the end of March till when the secretaries have said all decisions will be made? I'm worried they lost my stuff-- I was EDP and defferred to the regular pile... What do you guys think?

I think it depends on how important the decision is for you. For instance, if you are trying to decide in the next little bit about something and some information from the admissions office would help you.

Example: you live in NYC and only got accepted to schools out of state. You might be getting ready to move or deciding to extend your lease or quit your job or something. Therefore, knowing that they are still deciding on your application or that you got rejected would help you make that decision.

If it's just out of curiosity--you've been accepted to another school in the city but you're dying to know if you got into Cornell--I would hold off until the end of March.

Got the letter

I'll race ya! actually u will prolly win since I can't check my mail 'till after work and Thursday is looking like a long day at work....good luck!

I WIN!!!! I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with this momentous achievement.

This is of course not to say that your letter is a rejection for sure--after all, our new friend fzma got a waitlist letter today.:luck:

True, but I just received my waitlist in the mail today as well, and I had the earlier status change. Sorry A Tree, good luck with your other schools.. :oops:

Sorry to not have responded earlier. I actually got the status change last week, the earlier one (on the 14th, I think?). I live in NY, so I don't know why it took so long to come, probably just temporarily lost or something. Good luck to you all, I'm sure you'll all get in someplace and be happy. Thanks to you all, I'd never posted before that one, but read the blogs all the time!

Got the letter

I WIN!!!! I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with this momentous achievement.

damn u beat me tree! how did that happen....though I thank you for being positive on my behalf Im quite certain I also received the ol' rejection, which is really feeling like a slap in the face since my brother is a third year at cornell and i work there.....oh well, you can only go to one school! good luck with wherever u end up. ciao!

Just got a pre-interview rejection today...totally expected so it's not a big deal. No status page change. I actually work at Cornell, and although they claimed to be interviewing until the end of March, it looks like they are done (someone asked about this some time recently). I haven't seen any tours recently. Hats off to the secretary for a perfect poker face and for sounding convincing on the phone though when I asked her what was up.

For those of you who are considering calling them for information, I really wouldn't have much faith in what they say.

For those of you who are considering calling them for information, I really wouldn't have much faith in what they say.

at this point, it also doesn't look like there's going to be a "third batch" of acceptances, as someone was told there would be. so yeah, future applicants perusing this thread should be aware that cornell admissions is pretty much full of scheisse.

damn u beat me tree! how did that happen....though I thank you for being positive on my behalf Im quite certain I also received the ol' rejection, which is really feeling like a slap in the face since my brother is a third year at cornell and i work there.....oh well, you can only go to one school! good luck with wherever u end up. ciao!

Yeah - I worked at Rockefeller for 3,473 years and my PI used to be on the committee/interview people. He was a real d-bag and I sometimes wonder whether they interviewed me just because they saw a nice letter from him and thought, "hmm that guy is a real d-bag but this applicant got a nice letter from him and survived in his lab. Let's interview him."

Here's an interesting tidbit--the postage on my letter read "sent from zip-code 10310". Wha?? I looked it up and it's in Staten Island. Did they outsource their admissions mailings? Do they own a second hand bulk stamper thingy?

wait wait, most of the class comes from the waitlist? really?? how many people are waitlisted then?

wait wait, most of the class comes from the waitlist? really?? how many people are waitlisted then?

not true, from past posts on sdn and what i vaguely remember the dean telling us. i think it's roughly something to the effect of 100 waitlisted and 25 make it off. so that's about 1/4 of the class from the waitlist. but if the quality of applicants has shot up this year (as my harvard rejection letter tells me it has), then who knows? maybe they waitlisted more this year, and so your chances are dimished.

not true, from past posts on sdn and what i vaguely remember the dean telling us. i think it's roughly something to the effect of 100 waitlisted and 25 make it off. so that's about 1/4 of the class from the waitlist. but if the quality of applicants has shot up this year (as my harvard rejection letter tells me it has), then who knows? maybe they waitlisted more this year, and so your chances are dimished.

There has GOT to be more than 100 on the waitlist. It seems like everyone is getting put on it. Has anyone been rejected?

Well I was waitlisted (no surprise) and withdrew. Why do they want to know my reasons for withdrawing? What could I possibly tell them that they don't already know? My reason was the same as everyone else's: "I'm not willing to wait around for you."

It does seem like a lot more than 100 judging by this thread. But maybe SDN is just made up of amazing people who the Cornell Adcom is still not sufficiently impressed by to offer first admission to....(clearly their loss)

Unlike Cubbie, I am willing to wait around....at least for a little while...maybe the waitlist will start moving before May (fingers crossed)---what do you all think?

It does seem like a lot more than 100 judging by this thread. But maybe SDN is just made up of amazing people who the Cornell Adcom is still not sufficiently impressed by to offer first admission to....(clearly their loss)

Unlike Cubbie, I am willing to wait around....at least for a little while...maybe the waitlist will start moving before May (fingers crossed)---what do you all think?

I think: if you love UCSF, why are you waiting around for Cornell?

There has GOT to be more than 100 on the waitlist. It seems like everyone is getting put on it. Has anyone been rejected?

ouch. :laugh:

OK... so hmmm... I called to see if the LOI I'd sent got received (kind of as a way to see if my file got lost)... she said they'd been put in. So apparently my file is not lost and they are not done making decisions. I don't know what kind of decisions they ARE still making... but apparently I am still in limbo... since interviewing in September... but there ARE some people who don't have decisions made it seems (just very few I guess since I seem to be the only one who has this issue on the thread!). Weird.

I think: if you love UCSF, why are you waiting around for Cornell?

Because I also loved Cornell .... I'm an East Coaster at heart, never been to Cali before my UCSF interview.

Has anyone called to ask how many people are on the WL?

I was thinking about calling next week to confirm they received my WL response and ask at the same time....unless someone already knows!

Anyone received anything today who had their status change this week? Im assuming rejection for myself but still am curious....

I called earlier today... they said 20-25% of the matriculating class every year is comprised of people off the waitlist. That is pretty good odds for a waitlist if you ask me... Who knows how many people are actually on the waitlist. I would venture to guess it can't be more than 100 or so.

I called earlier today... they said 20-25% of the matriculating class every year is comprised of people off the waitlist. That is pretty good odds for a waitlist if you ask me... Who knows how many people are actually on the waitlist. I would venture to guess it can't be more than 100 or so.

So that probably means more than 20-25 acceptances off the WL, bc not everyone will accept the offer, especially as it gets closer to August.

It seems like different schools have different WL strategies...some reject very few people and keep a huge WL, while others have a smaller list. Would be nice to know if it's 100 or 300.

Hang on -- 20-25% of the class came from the waitlist -- not 20-25% of the waitlist entered the class. All that means is that out of a class of ~100, 25 of those kids were initially waitlisted. I still contend that the number of people on the waitlist is huge. If they interviewed 1000+, and if things are as they seem (i.e. nearly everyone is waitlisted), that means that there are probably 600 or more kids vying for those 20-25 spots.

I hate to be a downer, but that 20-25% means nothing until you know how big the waitlist is.

Here's to hoping, though. I withdrew from the waitlist, so there is that much less competition for those 20-25 spots. I'm still pushing for my s.o. to get one of those slots though!