You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cornell University CVM c/o 2022 Applicants
Started by BigRedEquine
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Probably/maybe/don't know yet (haven't been officially offered it yet) accepting a 2-year government position which would mean waiting to apply til next cycle. Have you figured out what you're doing over your gap year yet? 🙂
What is that?Figured I would make this since VMCAS just opened yesterday! Who else is applying?
Second time applicant, Cornell is my IS and dream school!
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahhh that's awesome, good for you! I'm going to be working full time at a small animal clinic and volunteering at a wildlife rehab center, also retaking the GRE sometime this summer and working on the app of course. Just trying to keep busy and be productive/save as much money as I can haha. Let me know about the position when you find out 🙂Probably/maybe/don't know yet (haven't been officially offered it yet) accepting a 2-year government position which would mean waiting to apply til next cycle. Have you figured out what you're doing over your gap year yet? 🙂
I'm sorry, not sure what you're asking? What is what? hahaWhat is that?
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
What does VCMA stand for?I'm sorry, not sure what you're asking? What is what? haha
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
VMCAS is the Veterinary Medical College Application Service, it's how you submit vet school applicationsWhat does VCMA stand for?
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'll be applying here as well. I have to retake my GRE scores since they recently expired.... if my scores aren't great I might take Cornell off the list since they weigh them so heavily. We shall see.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah, I wish Cornell would follow suit with some other schools that are deciding to disregard the GRE (Michigan, Purdue, etc) because I was told during my Cornell file review that my scores hurt me :/ Hopefully we'll both be able to get good scores!I'll be applying here as well. I have to retake my GRE scores since they recently expired.... if my scores aren't great I might take Cornell off the list since they weigh them so heavily. We shall see.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
There are other schools that are starting to disregard the GRE?Yeah, I wish Cornell would follow suit with some other schools that are deciding to disregard the GRE (Michigan, Purdue, etc) because I was told during my Cornell file review that my scores hurt me :/ Hopefully we'll both be able to get good scores!
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
There are other schools that are starting to disregard the GRE?
Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
Virginia-Maryland also no longer requires the GRE.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey everyone, I'm a second-time applicant but didn't apply to Cornell my first go-around. Same thoughts on the GRE- I wish it wasn't so heavily weighted. 🙁 But good luck to everyone! Side note- the Cornell guidelines for the letter of rec have been really helpful for my evaluators. If you know anyone who's applying to other vet schools and not Cornell, it's still a great resource!
Hey guys, thinking of applying to Cornell...Do they not do interviews??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, thinking of applying to Cornell...Do they not do interviews??
Nope, no interviews!
Good luck to everyone applying! Thank you for this resource checking it out now!
[QUOTE="Pancakes4dogs, post: Side note- the Cornell guidelines for the letter of rec have been really helpful for my evaluators. If you know anyone who's applying to other vet schools and not Cornell, it's still a great resource![/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="Pancakes4dogs, post: Side note- the Cornell guidelines for the letter of rec have been really helpful for my evaluators. If you know anyone who's applying to other vet schools and not Cornell, it's still a great resource![/QUOTE]
Hi everyone, I keep going over Cornell's supplemental questions and I'm just stuck on "Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you." I've looked through some comments from years past about this essay, and there have been mixed messages on whether or not you should write about something really personal, like a health issue or family problem, versus something having to do with your professional/academic life. Are there any more recent opinions about this? I have an idea in mind, and it has to do with an immediate family member going through health issues and how I've learned to cope with this. But since I'm not the one directly experiencing it, I'm just concerned that it might not seem relevant. Any insight would be helpful!
I think that if you're involved with that family member, it's relevant. I wrote about having to help my mom with my siblings (they're a lot younger than me) when my grandparent was sick while still having to work and go to school. I didn't get in, but I don't think it was because of my essay answers. Just be honest and sincere and it will show.Hi everyone, I keep going over Cornell's supplemental questions and I'm just stuck on "Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you." I've looked through some comments from years past about this essay, and there have been mixed messages on whether or not you should write about something really personal, like a health issue or family problem, versus something having to do with your professional/academic life. Are there any more recent opinions about this? I have an idea in mind, and it has to do with an immediate family member going through health issues and how I've learned to cope with this. But since I'm not the one directly experiencing it, I'm just concerned that it might not seem relevant. Any insight would be helpful!
Hi everyone, I keep going over Cornell's supplemental questions and I'm just stuck on "Describe a situation where circumstances were against you and how you made it work for you." I've looked through some comments from years past about this essay, and there have been mixed messages on whether or not you should write about something really personal, like a health issue or family problem, versus something having to do with your professional/academic life. Are there any more recent opinions about this? I have an idea in mind, and it has to do with an immediate family member going through health issues and how I've learned to cope with this. But since I'm not the one directly experiencing it, I'm just concerned that it might not seem relevant. Any insight would be helpful!
I used my own personal experiences and I explained how I made it through college. You can use similar scenario but it's best to be as honest as possible. The admission people WILL know if you are telling the truth or not 🙂
Hi guys, I'm an OOS applicant, and I just discovered the Course Substitution Request Form. Is this required, and do we need to get approval from all of our courses before the deadline?
Hi guys, I'm an OOS applicant, and I just discovered the Course Substitution Request Form. Is this required, and do we need to get approval from all of our courses before the deadline?
I believe you only need this if you are trying to substitute in a course that does not exactly match the required pre-requisiste. Like if you took a course that was not necessarily an english course/did not have "writing" or "english" in the course name, but was a writing intensive course you can fill out the form to try and substitute that to fulfill the english requirement. If the course you're using matches the pre-requisite requirement exactly, I don't think you should need it. At least that's my understanding.
I believe early January they make calls regarding if you are accepted or not 🙂Does anyone know the timeline regarding when we will hear from Cornell ?
Yes, phone calls have historically been made the first Monday in January, but since New Years is on a Monday this year they will most likely be made on Tuesday the 2nd 🙂 and emails with waitlist and rejection notifications will come a few days laterDoes anyone know the timeline regarding when we will hear from Cornell ?
Thank you so much. Seems like so far awayYes, phone calls have historically been made the first Monday in January, but since New Years is on a Monday this year they will most likely be made on Tuesday the 2nd 🙂 and emails with waitlist and rejection notifications will come a few days later
God, it sucks that Cornell is both my IS and like one of the most competitive vet schools. I work at Cornell Vet right now for my gap year, though, so I'm hoping it gets me brownie points!
Hey Guys!! Quick question, is the Cornell tracking page not working for anyone else?
Yup, it didn't work for me either! Says server error
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
don't stress guys! our servers went down yesterday and unfortunately still aren't totally working. theyre working on getting them back up and running!
Do you know the exact date they will let us know?Getting closer to the 1 month countdown!
It’s usually the beginning of the first week of January! So maybe like 1/2 or 1/3?Do you know the exact date they will let us know?
Awesome! I haven’t heard anything, but I’m glad it’s not Feb 15!It’s usually the beginning of the first week of January! So maybe like 1/2 or 1/3?
I have a bunch of interviews scheduled in January right now and I'm not sure how to proceed.....if I get into Cornell (my in state) I'm pretty sure I'll want to cancel those right away. But as of now there are some as early as January 6th! I'm really worried about how much of an dingus move it will be to cancel my interview 4 days beforehand. Any advice on this?
pretty sure Cornell doesn't do interviewsI have a bunch of interviews scheduled in January right now and I'm not sure how to proceed.....if I get into Cornell (my in state) I'm pretty sure I'll want to cancel those right away. But as of now there are some as early as January 6th! I'm really worried about how much of an dingus move it will be to cancel my interview 4 days beforehand. Any advice on this?
pretty sure Cornell doesn't do interviews
Cornell does not do interviews and they call accepted applicants usually the sometime the first week of January! Last year it was January 5th I believe, that was when I got a rejection last year. Hoping for good news this year!
Last year phone calls for acceptances went out on January 2nd (the first day back from the holiday break) and emails went out on the 5th. I'm fairly certain the same thing will happen this year.Cornell does not do interviews and they call accepted applicants usually the sometime the first week of January! Last year it was January 5th I believe, that was when I got a rejection last year. Hoping for good news this year!
I think if you know the schools have a waitlist for interviews you should call and cancel because it would give someone else a chance and don’t think schools would look at it bad at all. Especially if you say you go into your in-state...most understand!!I have a bunch of interviews scheduled in January right now and I'm not sure how to proceed.....if I get into Cornell (my in state) I'm pretty sure I'll want to cancel those right away. But as of now there are some as early as January 6th! I'm really worried about how much of an dingus move it will be to cancel my interview 4 days beforehand. Any advice on this?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Has anyone received any emails from cornell recently? Other schools all sent emails confirming that they will notify students about interviews during certain dates, but I haven't received any emails from Cornell besides applicant tips a few months ago. maybe they just don't send many emails out? or I haven't been receiving them...
I got a happy holidays email this afternoon xDHas anyone received any emails from cornell recently? Other schools all sent emails confirming that they will notify students about interviews during certain dates, but I haven't received any emails from Cornell besides applicant tips a few months ago. maybe they just don't send many emails out? or I haven't been receiving them...
But Cornell is not doing interviews, so it makes sense that they're not notifying us about that. I too haven't really gotten any emails.
It's projected/rumored that Cornell will call applicants on Tuesday, January 2nd, with acceptances, waitlists, and rejections, and then email the same results a few days a later.
That's if the timeline is the same as it's been the last few years.
But I don't know if this timeline will be affected by the hurricane deadline pushback so..grain of salt
Do they call everyone or only the people who are accepted?I got a happy holidays email this afternoon xD
But Cornell is not doing interviews, so it makes sense that they're not notifying us about that. I too haven't really gotten any emails.
It's projected/rumored that Cornell will call applicants on Tuesday, January 2nd, with acceptances, waitlists, and rejections, and then email the same results a few days a later.
That's if the timeline is the same as it's been the last few years.
But I don't know if this timeline will be affected by the hurricane deadline pushback so..grain of salt
Nope they only call people who are accepted and will email everyone else a few days later with a waitlist/rejectionDo they call everyone or only the people who are accepted?
Oh yes, sorry, I got that detail wrong.Nope they only call people who are accepted and will email everyone else a few days later with a waitlist/rejection
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's gonna be a very stressful week....Nope they only call people who are accepted and will email everyone else a few days later with a waitlist/rejection
Does anyone know when our fall 2017 transcript is due? On the website, they mention June, and if they let us know about admission decisions as early as January, it makes sense that we don’t need to send our transcript before, but I don’t want to miss the deadline...
Last year for us it was due in June, they are really great about keeping you updated about deadlines and things you need to get done. If you're worried you can always email admissions, theyre super helpful and nice!Does anyone know when our fall 2017 transcript is due? On the website, they mention June, and if they let us know about admission decisions as early as January, it makes sense that we don’t need to send our transcript before, but I don’t want to miss the deadline...
And the two week countdown begins😱
