cornell v university of michigan medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needhelpasap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Univ of Mich medical school. I like them pretty much the same, but I'd much rather be in NYC (Cornell), which is closer to friends/family and has so much to offer. However, Mich is offering me significantly more money. I could be $100,000 less in debt if I go to Mich instead of Cornell. Would I be a fool to turn down the money?

In terms of quality of instruction and success after medical school, how do the two schools compare? And is this difference worth $100,000?

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused - it's May 16th today. Shouldn't you have made this decision already?

I'm confused - it's May 16th today. Shouldn't you have made this decision already?

It is troll season for these kinds of posts...still don't understand why people post this BS...

Members don't see this ad :)
tough decision. I am bias because I am on the WL at Cornell but I feel like if you liked both schools the 'same' then can NYC negate 100k less over four years. If it can then go to Cornell. If you are more concerned with financial debt and being in debt after graduation go to Ann Arbor.

Does Umich do PBL like Cornell? That is another big factor. I did not apply to UMich so I do not know.

The other thing you need to consider is if you have a car, etc. NYC is a very different lifestyle than Ann Arbor

I think both schools are great places. I would say Cornell has a little more prestige but Ann Arbor has all the perks of being near a college campus that you won't get at the medical center of Cornell... amazing rec center, div 1 sports, etc. In reality, Cornell's name will carry more weight after med school depending on what you do. I would say if you are interested in academic medicine or staying in a academic hospital setting Cornell may open more doors for you too.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Univ of Mich medical school. I like them pretty much the same, but I'd much rather be in NYC (Cornell), which is closer to friends/family and has so much to offer. However, Mich is offering me significantly more money. I could be $100,000 less in debt if I go to Mich instead of Cornell. Would I be a fool to turn down the money?

In terms of quality of instruction and success after medical school, how do the two schools compare? And is this difference worth $100,000?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dear 'new member',

I suggest you withdraw from Cornell. You'll be much happier in the Michigan winter.

Sincerely,

DS

tough decision. I am bias because I am on the WL at Cornell but I feel like if you liked both schools the 'same' then can NYC negate 100k less over four years. If it can then go to Cornell. If you are more concerned with financial debt and being in debt after graduation go to Ann Arbor.

Does Umich do PBL like Cornell? That is another big factor. I did not apply to UMich so I do not know.

The other thing you need to consider is if you have a car, etc. NYC is a very different lifestyle than Ann Arbor

I think both schools are great places. I would say Cornell has a little more prestige but Ann Arbor has all the perks of being near a college campus that you won't get at the medical center of Cornell... amazing rec center, div 1 sports, etc. In reality, Cornell's name will carry more weight after med school depending on what you do. I would say if you are interested in academic medicine or staying in a academic hospital setting Cornell may open more doors for you too.

Thanks so much for the advice.