Cornell vs Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flockofdoves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am a CA resident who was blessed with admissions offers from several veterinary schools, and it is coming down to Cornell and my in-state UC Davis. I'm leaning more toward Davis than Cornell, but I honestly don't know which school is right for me and would like your advice.

A few facts about me:
  • I am from Southern California and have decided that I do want to practice in California
  • I went to Smith College in MA (a small liberal arts school) and liked the small group discussions/flipped classroom environment, but I also liked the traditional lecture style.
  • I really, really, really want to work as a student tech during my pre-clinical years in order to gain more hands-on experience.
  • Potential career paths I see for myself include veterinary public health, small animal + companion exotics, mixed practice, or ECC.
  • I am very fortunate in that I don't have to take out loans to pay for my education.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry that I can’t be of much help but just want to say congratulations!!! Such great news for you! Wish you all the best, I’m sure either way it’s going to work out great for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping to resurface to see what helped current students make their decision! I didn't anticipate having to make such a tough decision and I'm absolutely thrilled but very conflicted.

Hoping to resurface to see what helped current students make their decision! I didn't anticipate having to make such a tough decision and I'm absolutely thrilled but very conflicted.

@Aprilthearab can probably help answer questions about Cornell, and @meelc for Davis!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, second year Cornell student here!
A few facts about me:
  • I am from Southern California and have decided that I do want to practice in California
How adventurous are you feeling, and how important is it for you to be close to family? I have friends whose families are many states away and can only afford (money as well as time) to take a trip home once, maybe twice a year. They've mentioned wishing they could visit family more often, especially when older loved ones who might not be around for many more years are involved, and feel like they're missing out when they skip seeing family for holidays.

Also, what's your preference for urban/suburban/rural? A lot of people come from NYC/other large cities and feel that Ithaca is far too rural for their comfort level. Personally, I grew up in a rural area and feel that Ithaca is more city-like than I'm used to. It's kind of a funky in-between where the center of Ithaca feels like a dense small city, but all it takes is a ten minute drive to feel like you're in woodsy farmland. The vet school is on the edge of the more populated part of town, so five minutes in one direction puts you right in the middle of Ithaca, and five minutes in the opposite direction puts you in farmland. Which I enjoy! It's easy to find housing that suits anyone's fancy less than 10 minutes away from the school. I'm about three minutes away and surrounded by forest. Other students have opted to live in the center of town to be walking distance away from stores but also a very short drive away from school.

And of course, if your goal is to practice in California, it never hurts to network throughout vet school by staying in California. But I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a job when you return to California if you chose Cornell.
  • I went to Smith College in MA (a small liberal arts school) and liked the small group discussions/flipped classroom environment, but I also liked the traditional lecture style.
You'll definitely see both here! We have student-led tutor groups that are typically seven students plus a professor who is there for guidance through the discussion. There are about three tutor group sessions per week for the major courses (The Animal Body - aka anatomy; Function and Dysfunction - aka physiology; and Host, Agent, and Defense - aka immunology) for the first three semesters. The rest of the courses are largely lecture-based +/- labs with occasional breakout sessions and group talks.
  • I really, really, really want to work as a student tech during my pre-clinical years in order to gain more hands-on experience.
You will have absolutely no problem finding a job here. We have dozens of unique hands-on positions in the school's hospital that suit all sorts of interests and schedule needs. Toward the end of the first semester, the school holds an info session where all the specialties present their available jobs and guide you through the application process - you can apply to as many as you want, and then get matched to one of your top choices (most people get offered their #1 choice). Even if you opt out of the match process, a lot of areas need more student workers than they get and will hire throughout the year. Some students also work as a milker at the school's dairy barn just down the road, and others work at the numerous nearby private practices. I work at the local SPCA as a vet assistant. There really is something for everyone here.
  • Potential career paths I see for myself include veterinary public health, small animal + companion exotics, mixed practice, or ECC.
You will find all of the above at Cornell! You can take a look at what our pathways look like here.
To me, it came down to Cornell or Tufts. I chose Cornell primarily because the cost after scholarships was lower than Tufts, but I was also happy with the location, excited for their problem based learning, and eager to join their shelter med program. Happy to elaborate on that if you have specific questions!

Hi, second year Cornell student here!

How adventurous are you feeling, and how important is it for you to be close to family? I have friends whose families are many states away and can only afford (money as well as time) to take a trip home once, maybe twice a year. They've mentioned wishing they could visit family more often, especially when older loved ones who might not be around for many more years are involved, and feel like they're missing out when they skip seeing family for holidays.

Also, what's your preference for urban/suburban/rural? A lot of people come from NYC/other large cities and feel that Ithaca is far too rural for their comfort level. Personally, I grew up in a rural area and feel that Ithaca is more city-like than I'm used to. It's kind of a funky in-between where the center of Ithaca feels like a dense small city, but all it takes is a ten minute drive to feel like you're in woodsy farmland. The vet school is on the edge of the more populated part of town, so five minutes in one direction puts you right in the middle of Ithaca, and five minutes in the opposite direction puts you in farmland. Which I enjoy! It's easy to find housing that suits anyone's fancy less than 10 minutes away from the school. I'm about three minutes away and surrounded by forest. Other students have opted to live in the center of town to be walking distance away from stores but also a very short drive away from school.

And of course, if your goal is to practice in California, it never hurts to network throughout vet school by staying in California. But I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a job when you return to California if you chose Cornell.

You'll definitely see both here! We have student-led tutor groups that are typically seven students plus a professor who is there for guidance through the discussion. There are about three tutor group sessions per week for the major courses (The Animal Body - aka anatomy; Function and Dysfunction - aka physiology; and Host, Agent, and Defense - aka immunology) for the first three semesters. The rest of the courses are largely lecture-based +/- labs with occasional breakout sessions and group talks.

You will have absolutely no problem finding a job here. We have dozens of unique hands-on positions in the school's hospital that suit all sorts of interests and schedule needs. Toward the end of the first semester, the school holds an info session where all the specialties present their available jobs and guide you through the application process - you can apply to as many as you want, and then get matched to one of your top choices (most people get offered their #1 choice). Even if you opt out of the match process, a lot of areas need more student workers than they get and will hire throughout the year. Some students also work as a milker at the school's dairy barn just down the road, and others work at the numerous nearby private practices. I work at the local SPCA as a vet assistant. There really is something for everyone here.

You will find all of the above at Cornell! You can take a look at what our pathways look like here.

To me, it came down to Cornell or Tufts. I chose Cornell primarily because the cost after scholarships was lower than Tufts, but I was also happy with the location, excited for their problem based learning, and eager to join their shelter med program. Happy to elaborate on that if you have specific questions!
Ope sorry April, the OP is from last year, I tagged you for the post from @coolprius that bumped this thread. Though some of this should be useful for them to consider anyway!

Ope sorry April, the OP is from last year, I tagged you for the post from @coolprius that bumped this thread. Though some of this should be useful for them to consider anyway!
Haha oop, my bad, I can't read as usual. Hopefully it can be a resource for anyone else who needs to decide. @coolprius please feel free to ask any questions since I didn't spend much time answering your question :)

• Love
Sorry just got home from a long day! @coolprius feel free to message me if you have any specific or general questions about Davis. I can definitely touch on living here, the curriculum, tracking, student opportunities/jobs, and pretty much anything else if you need help comparing :)

Overall, I think both schools fundamentally prepare you excellently for clinical practice (I have worked with graduates of both programs), so I think its a matter more of how each school lines up and would fit with you as far as location, cost, career interests, etc.