Corporate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BKelly734

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in my fourth year of DS. My wife and I currently live in a nice area, but aren't sure we want to live here forever. My wife really likes her current job, so it appears like we are going to stay where we have been for a couple years (2-3). Because of this, I am thinking I may go the corporate route. I have heard from people that hate corporate dental, and some who like it. I was thinking corporate because I could gain plenty of experience, and have others around me if I need advice on a case or two. I know I won't be making the most $ possible, but $120-150k is fine for me out of the gate (and I won't have debt). Does anyone have any advice for me? Does anyone out there hate corporate? I have heard that I will have zero control over my schedule and hours, and that is a serious concern for me.

Is it worth pursuing a associateship in an area I don't think I will reside in permanently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Corporate is a good choice if its a good corporate. I know there are some out there that just wants you to churn out money for them. There are other ones out there that want you to make the money but at the same time will mentor you and help you. You just gotta interview and make judgement for yourself. During the office interview you wanna see how the staff interacts with each other. You wanna see how many patients walk in those doors. Check reviews of the office online. There will always be bad reviews, you just gotta figure out if its legit or just someone mad cause they didnt get what they want.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm doing corp now as a means to simplify my life. I've done the private practice ownership thing for the last 26 yrs. Time for something different. Corp is just a job. That's all it is. One nice thing is the comradery I have with the fellow dentists and staff. Must be at least 30 people working in the office. I didn't have this in private practice. So, I'm enjoying the change. I do have some say in the days I work. Working on fri and sats is required though in my situation. The other days are negotiable.

If you are a new grad .... again ... this is just a job until something better comes along. Eventually you'll want your own practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A good corp is better than a bad private practice. But in the end, whoever you work for is out to try to have you make money for them. If you're doing the corp route, make sure you get a daily minimum. They often take capitation plans (HMO) where you won't get paid for certain procedures. So you may be doing a covered filling for $0 and if you're on a straight percentage, you get paid $0. It can be good or bad. Just do your homework and listen to your gut. Post on dentaltown when you get an offer as there are a lot of docs who can help with your situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, everyone! The more I read and learn, the more I am thinking about an associateship. Nothing really appeals to me w/r to the corporate route. I have never heard of Dentaltown, so thanks for that suggestion.

If anyone else has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it!