Correspondence Courses???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyPilot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I think I have a rather unique situation that I would really appreciate everyone's input on. In short, I have been in the military for the last 5 years serving as an officer/pilot and I have been overseas my whole time (after flight school (1 year), 3 years in Germany serving all throughout Europe and now Im in Iraq most likely to go to Afghanistan after this tour). My objective is to be a military dentist - my only hurdle is my two of my pre-reqs I wasnt able to take in college: organic chemistry and bio.

Due to my consistant deployment, I took bio and organic chemistry (w/ labs believe it or not) through a 4 year university (not community college) in the States via correspondence (in short, I buy the books/material, teach myself everything, and then take the tests at the military education centers on whatever base I was on - it was incredibly challenging pulling this off, but I did it with good grades).

Now, with the following stats, do you think D-schools will accept my situation and consider me for acceptance or will I be sent off to go to a post-bacc program as soon as I can get out?

Degree: BS in Engineer (3.7 overall, 3.8 science including pre-reqs) top of class graduate from a very prestigious military college
DAT: practice programs (achiever) telling me Im going to score 19s across the board

Did I pretty much just waste my time taking this correspondence courses or will I be given a shot due to circumstances presented? Im hoping that if I really destroy the DAT schools might take everything into consideration.

As always, thanks for your input!
-Army Pilot

Members don't see this ad.

your situation is sooo unique. I am actually interested in what happens with you :)

The best thing you can do is to contact all the dental schools you wish to apply to. Most of us here on SDN can give you advice about your typical course works in some undergrad institute in the USA, but again, your situation is sooo different, I really don't know what to say.

From looks of things, asuming you do okay on the DAT, I don't see many dental schools rejecting you. They love to see unique applicants and you my friend are very unique

Think about it this way, worst comes to worst, you come back to the states and spend about 1 year taking some of those pre-dents, which I don't think is all that bad. But really, You got a solid GPA, ur a military person with passion toward dentistry. I see alot of acceptance letters in your future.

Good luck and stay safe

Thanks for the input! I wonder if anyone else has had any experience with this...?