Cosmetic Followship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone were to do a general surgery residency and then do a cosmetic surgery fellowship, would they be able to most of the procedures a plastic surgeon can do?

Members don't see this ad.

maxheadroom said:
you're kidding me, right?

No man, thats why i am asking, I don't know much about residencies and fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
A "Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship" is a FRAUD for anyone who is not board-eligible in Plastic Surgery or the Facial Plastics/ENTs. No, a general surgeon who completed a "Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship" would not be able to perform the majority of cases done in PRS. Furthermore, there is no true "Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship" -- especially not for general surgeons. There are a few high-volume cosmetic centers where BE/BC Plastic Surgeons will do extra training (mini-fellowships) in various cosmetic procedures. Notable "Cosmetic Fellowships" are Paces in Atlanta, Baker/Stuzin in Miami, UTSW/Barton in Dallas, and Aston in NYC.

maxheadroom said:
A "Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship" is a FRAUD for anyone who is not board-eligible in Plastic Surgery or the Facial Plastics/ENTs. No, a general surgeon who completed a "Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship" would not be able to perform the majority of cases done in PRS. Furthermore, there is no true "Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship" -- especially not for general surgeons. There are a few high-volume cosmetic centers where BE/BC Plastic Surgeons will do extra training (mini-fellowships) in various cosmetic procedures. Notable "Cosmetic Fellowships" are Paces in Atlanta, Baker/Stuzin in Miami, UTSW/Barton in Dallas, and Aston in NYC.

O ok, yea thats what I thought. I just saw this guy http://www.lookingyourbest.com/surgeons/about/fforouzanpour and it made me curious.

Please note that he has no credentials from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

maxheadroom said:
Please note that he has no credentials from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Thats true, but I don't think most patients really know what those credentials mean.

bizump. this is interesting. i think i know a couple of md's who did something similar.

Personally, I would never go to anyone who did not complete a plastic surgery residency and is BC in plastic and reconstructive surgery. If I needed any sort craniofacial procedure I might even prefer to go to someone who has done an OMFS or ENT residency prior to plastics. But here is my question: A lot of these aesthetic procedures are minimaly invasive so really, how much training do you need to get good at it? I would imagine that in a PRS residency, the reconstructive microsurgical procedures are the ones that are really difficult and require the training, the aesthetic stuff is the smaller part. So if I wanted someone to inject botox into my butt cheeks to make them perkier or whatever, or get a hair transplant it would not matter what sort of a residency they have done as long as they have mastered the procedure they now do. As far as any heavily invasive procedure or reconstructive work... has to be PRS BC

AMMD said:
But here is my question: A lot of these aesthetic procedures are minimaly invasive so really, how much training do you need to get good at it?

A lot more then you'd think. The margin for error of unacceptable results is MUCH higher with aesthetics (particularly of the face) & the customers/patients frequently have unrealistic expectations. You can really mess someone up bad doing cosmetic surgery & technique is so very important for predictable outcomes.

Just wait until you see someone with a facial nerve palsy from a facelift. Scary thing is, even the good guys get that complication, sometimes.