Cosmetic Surgery Leaves Thornton Teen Brain Damaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to Colorado State Law Plastic Surgery Offices aren't part of opt-out in Colorado. I could be wrong but it seems Kim was supervising Meeker based on the Colorado Supreme Court ruling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
According to Colorado State Law Plastic Surgery Offices aren't part of opt-out in Colorado. I could be wrong but it seems Kim was supervising Meeker based on the Colorado Supreme Court ruling.

If that is true he will take the full liability of this death. Likely will face severe monetary damages in addition to probably facing a medium sized jail sentence all for enabling an "independent" CRNA. To boot, Kim is not even board certified in plastic surgery.

• Wow
@The Duck Knows

Why labetalol, I wonder?

The only thing that EMR can do better, at least at my shop is recording vitals correctly. Everything else I still need to do by clicking or typing. If everything goes well, no problem. If it’s a difficult case and I am constantly “fixing” something; it can be frustrating and time consuming to fix the chart so all the events line up. I still need to put the disclaimer that not all the events are entered at “real time” AND still be questioned for a “precise” timeline.
Also the preop and postop notes are now all done by macros. Some of my partners will just click through everything without changing pre populated answers. At least on paper, if “I”didn’t physically check, I wouldn’t mark it. I am of the mindset, if I didn’t check it, I’d rather leave it blank. With clicking through Marcos, seen plenty of edentulous patients with full sets of “normal” teeth 3 months ago.

This case is proof that the Physician will be held liable for the actions/inactions of the Independent CRNA. A jury will have a very hard time not blaming the physician in the room for the bad outcome. When I review this case I see gross liability on the part of both Meeker and Kim but if Kim had hired a real Anesthesiologist with experience this death would never have occurred.

My only objection to the so-called "expert" was stating he has never seen or given more than 1 dose of a reversal agent. That is simply incorrect. Many times I have titrated Narcan at 40 ug-160 ug to patients during my career. Twice, I administered 2 doses of Flumazenil 0.2 mg IV to patients given high doses of Versed. A better statement would be "it is highly unlikely a healthy 18 year old girl would need more than 1 reversal dose given the amount of drugs on board at the time."

Typically, inexperienced midlevels can overdo the opioids or benzos but there are times where elderly patients may need some reversal agents even from low dose opioids/benzos.

When so called experts make these bold statements it just shows a lack of high volume clinical experience one obtains over 3 plus decades covering multiple rooms with many patients, particularly the ASA 3 and 4 cases.

FYI, Mr. Meeker turns 71 years old this April so his days of practicing anesthesia should have probably ended a few years ago; my hunch is that Mr. Meeker will plead this down to 6 months or less or even probation.

That was one part I didn’t quite get. I’ve given two vials of narcan, once. I’ve given 2 vials Flumazenil, once on the floor, when the patient received Ativan instead of shorter acting versed. It does call into his credibility a little.
I’ve worked with some senior anesthesiologists. They do “panic” more than young guns; however, this whole episode is more about judgement and cover up than the immediate treatment.

… he/she would have been alone or with an AA and this would not have happened. That is a fact
I can still see it happening, airway happens. But I hope with an anesthesiologist, hopefully, they can go head to head with Kim and not delay care. Also recognize if you cool the patient, especially for someone who is 18, maybe there would have been some meaningful recovery. 6 hours later, you’re pretty much done, on top of lying to ED to delay management even more.

With my involvement with state medical boards, this is not at all unusual. Unless you are dealing with someone who sexually assaulted a patient, board members are generally incredibly sympathetic to physicians at the hearing. We had one old radiologist who did residency before cross-sectional imaging, and who was missing literal "textbook cases." Everyone went on for a long time to acknowledge his past contributions, how hard it was to learn new technologies, how medicine isn't easy ... but you are literally killing people so no more cross-sectional imaging. If you want to read something, it has to be all plain films. I believe he got the hint and retired.

Cannot comment on anything else, but this said Dr. Richmond is a CRNA, probably holds a DNP. I don’t think addressing him as a doctor at a nursing board meeting is appropriate.
Secondly, I don’t know the composition of the rest of their board, but I don’t believe they’re all CRNAs. Something just doesn’t sit right with this situation of nurses having a board meeting about a “doctor” while passing judgement. (Is he a doctor or a nurse? Is he practitioner of medicine or nursing anesthesia?)
Lastly, it appears to be the second death in the dental office for this CRNA. It’s hard on anyone to be a part of it. Myself may also feel sympathy, after the first. Shlt happens. We are humans. a second meeting, within a year, under very similar circumstances. Doesn’t bode well for Richmond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Re: labetalol

Did they use lidocaine with epinephrine? I was in a plastics case where the PA effed up the ratio because hospital pharmacy was closed, so they mixed it up themselves. Patient got a massive dose of epinephrine and BP and heart rate went sky high. Luckily I thought it was stimulation related to incision so I gassed them down and used propofol. The plastics attending figured it out while I was puzzling with my attending over why the patient was still so hypertensive. We had to cancel the case and get an EKG. I read a few case reports later where it had been treated with labetalol and the patient died, because the LV strain from the epi followed by labetalol caused cardiovascular collapse.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
The only thing that EMR can do better, at least at my shop is recording vitals correctly. Everything else I still need to do by clicking or typing. If everything goes well, no problem. If it’s a difficult case and I am constantly “fixing” something; it can be frustrating and time consuming to fix the chart so all the events line up. I still need to put the disclaimer that not all the events are entered at “real time” AND still be questioned for a “precise” timeline.
Also the preop and postop notes are now all done by macros. Some of my partners will just click through everything without changing pre populated answers. At least on paper, if “I”didn’t physically check, I wouldn’t mark it. I am of the mindset, if I didn’t check it, I’d rather leave it blank. With clicking through Marcos, seen plenty of edentulous patients with full sets of “normal” teeth 3 months ago.

It’s specifically the vitals that are most important. Seems like every paper chart I see has train tracks, 110/70. Then you have a case like this where the charts show “92%” SpO2 at the time she was cyanotic, and only 2-3 minutes of hypoxia/bradycardia. At least with recorded vitals you get a better representation of the patient’s condition.

You can only buff the charts so much

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing about Meeker’s account makes sense. He just turned his back and she was blue? Did he not have an audible pulse ox on like every single case we do? Betting he was sedating this poor girl and not even monitoring her.

The narrative also seems to imply Meeker injected local. He did a block? Or he injected local at the operative site? If so, why? That is not something I’ve ever done.

So much of this makes zero sense, but I’m glad to see these 2 clowns being brought to justice.
I’m imagining that the monitoring equipment possibly matched the other aspects of this case, in terms of safety and cutting corners. Probably no audible tones or alarms. Got complacent with a young ASA 1 and wasn’t watching the vitals?

That’s the only scenario I can think of where he’s in the room and the circulator noting cyanosis and checking pulses is the first indication something is wrong.

Nothing about Meeker’s account makes sense. He just turned his back and she was blue? Did he not have an audible pulse ox on like every single case we do? Betting he was sedating this poor girl and not even monitoring her.

The narrative also seems to imply Meeker injected local. He did a block? Or he injected local at the operative site? If so, why? That is not something I’ve ever done.

So much of this makes zero sense, but I’m glad to see these 2 clowns being brought to justice.

The anesthesiologist who provided the affidavit for the arrest warrant implied that much. That monitoring was nonexistent or inadequate if the first indication of hypoxemia was an assistant noticing patient turning blue qnd mottled. Alarms should have been blaring. And that the charting was fudged because the degree of neurological injury was wholly inconsistent with Meekers documentation of events.

Last edited:
My only objection to the so-called "expert" was stating he has never seen or given more than 1 dose of a reversal agent. That is simply incorrect. Many times I have titrated Narcan at 40 ug-160 ug to patients during my career. Twice, I administered 2 doses of Flumazenil 0.2 mg IV to patients given high doses of Versed. A better statement would be "it is highly unlikely a healthy 18 year old girl would need more than 1 reversal dose given the amount of drugs on board at the time."

But isn't titrating 40 to 160 mcg of naloxone giving a single dose of 0.4 mg in divided doses? Same with your flumazenil example? I think the wording to what constitutes a "dose" is what you take issue with. Even when we are called go rescue conscious sedation cases that overdose on versed fentanyl it would be very unusual to give more than 1 vial of flumazenil (0.5 to 1 mg) and naloxone (0.4 mg)

Last edited:
@The Duck Knows

Why labetalol, I wonder?

That was one part I didn’t quite get. I’ve given two vials of narcan, once. I’ve given 2 vials Flumazenil, once on the floor, when the patient received Ativan instead of shorter acting versed. It does call into his credibility a little.
I’ve worked with some senior anesthesiologists. They do “panic” more than young guns; however, this whole episode is more about judgement and cover up than the immediate treatment.

I can still see it happening, airway happens. But I hope with an anesthesiologist, hopefully, they can go head to head with Kim and not delay care. Also recognize if you cool the patient, especially for someone who is 18, maybe there would have been some meaningful recovery. 6 hours later, you’re pretty much done, on top of lying to ED to delay management even more.

Cannot comment on anything else, but this said Dr. Richmond is a CRNA, probably holds a DNP. I don’t think addressing him as a doctor at a nursing board meeting is appropriate.
Secondly, I don’t know the composition of the rest of their board, but I don’t believe they’re all CRNAs. Something just doesn’t sit right with this situation of nurses having a board meeting about a “doctor” while passing judgement. (Is he a doctor or a nurse? Is he practitioner of medicine or nursing anesthesia?)
Lastly, it appears to be the second death in the dental office for this CRNA. It’s hard on anyone to be a part of it. Myself may also feel sympathy, after the first. Shlt happens. We are humans. a second meeting, within a year, under very similar circumstances. Doesn’t bode well for Richmond.
You are mixing up cases. It is Rex Meeker not Tory Richmond in this case. Tory Richmond is another CRNA in AZ who had some problems in the dental chair.

You are mixing up cases. It is Rex Meeker not Tory Richmond in this case. Tory Richmond is another CRNA in AZ who had some problems in the dental chair.

Yes.
Richmond, younger, two dental deaths. Received some sympathy at nurse board meeting.

Meeker, older, two deaths too. Nursing board took away his crna license, but still able to practice as a nurse.

Yes.
Richmond, younger, two dental deaths. Received some sympathy at nurse board meeting.

Meeker, older, two deaths too. Nursing board took away his crna license, but still able to practice as a nurse.

To summarize:

maxresdefault.jpg

CRNA Tory Richmond early career and 2 deaths in under 2 years. Worked at Lifeguard Anesthesia an Arizona CRNA only group that likes to do photoshoots out in the desert. Goes by doctor and "nurse anesthesiologist". Quickly scrubbed from their website after these deaths. Congratulated by CRNA Angela Fountain for setting patients mouth on fire. This dweeb has a lot of time left to rack up more kills, all with the tacit approval of the board of nursing.

Rex-Meeker.png

CRNA Rex Meeker end of career and 2 deaths. Independent contractor in Colorado. Horrible cases, being booked for manslaughter over the Emmalyn Nguyen case. Still probably the less dangerous of the two CRNAs.

Last edited:
- Reaffirms my belief that paper charting is sketchy. Maybe some of y’all disagree.
There are lies, damn lies, and paper anesthesia charts.

I've seen people pre-chart PACU discharge notes before the surgical incision was made.

I love anesthesia EMRs.

Reactions: 3 users

Yes.

The fact that the patient was not intubated yet when the EMTs arrived 5 hours later tells you everything you need to know about independent practice. After 2 deaths, Richmond appeared before the nursing board and the board member said Job well done Dr Richmond!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that the patient was not intubated yet when the EMTs arrived 5 hours later tells you everything you need to know about independent practice.

Yeah agree. The whole point about intubation is interesting. While intubation should not delay CPR and other resuscitation measures, it should be performed if the patient did not immediately regain consciousness after ROSC. For airway protection and for TTM.

100% chance the monitor’s alarms were turned off or volume very low and/or music very loud because that’s just fine and dandy with Meeker and Kim. They sat there and did the crossword or talked about their weekend plans while the girl had obstruction and/or LAST and nobody looked at the monitors at all until the the nurse went to put on drapes noted that the girl was blue. The reason CPR was only documented for 1-2 minutes and ROSC immediately returned, yet she had a catastrophic brain injury, is because nobody was paying attention at all during the 10 minutes prior when she was in Vfib and/or PEA and/or hypoxia induced asystole while they were sitting there. 1M% below the standard of care, and so negligent that it should be criminal. As is the 5 hours between noting the emergency and calling 911. They’re both going to get what they deserve for their criminal level of incompetence.
And the guy isn’t even a board certified plastic surgeon?
If I engaged in something so incompetent that killed a healthy young patient, I couldn’t live with that.

Per the Colorado Association of Nurse Anesthetists COANA.org, Colorado is an
Independent Practice State. This means the administration of anesthesia by CRNAs is
an independent nursing function and does not require physician.
- Dr. KIM is not obligated to be in the OR at the time anesthesia is administered, but
he is obligated to have Intralipid in the facility and have protocols in place for the
administration of Intralipid for local anesthetic toxicity and he is responsible for the
overall care of the patient

100% chance the monitor’s alarms were turned off or volume very low and/or music very loud because that’s just fine and dandy with Meeker and Kim. They sat there and did the crossword or talked about their weekend plans while the girl had obstruction and/or LAST and nobody looked at the monitors at all until the the nurse went to put on drapes noted that the girl was blue. The reason CPR was only documented for 1-2 minutes and ROSC immediately returned, yet she had a catastrophic brain injury, is because nobody was paying attention at all during the 10 minutes prior when she was in Vfib and/or PEA and/or hypoxia induced asystole while they were sitting there. 1M% below the standard of care, and so negligent that it should be criminal. As is the 5 hours between noting the emergency and calling 911. They’re both going to get what they deserve for their criminal level of incompetence.
And the guy isn’t even a board certified plastic surgeon?
If I engaged in something so incompetent that killed a healthy young patient, I couldn’t live with that.

His website says he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He proudly claims to be trained in both general surgery and plastic surgery and well versed in all aspects of patient care. Unfortunately they couldn't train him to not be a sociopath.

Last edited:
His website says he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He proudly claims to be trained in both general surgery and plastic surgery and well versed in all aspects of patient care. Unfortunately they couldn't train him to not be a sociopath.
One of the articles or comments said he wasn’t board certified. Doesn’t change anything, but I wouldn’t trust a surgeon who couldn’t pass that hurdle. Perhaps he really believed that the arrest was only 1 minute long. Of course he wasn’t in the room at the time, so “it just happened” is only as trustworthy as the person who said it.
If you overreact in an emergency, make conservative calls, etc. you won’t be crucified when things go wrong, but when you pretend it isn’t happening and everything will be ok, that’s when you seal your fate.

Per the Colorado Association of Nurse Anesthetists COANA.org, Colorado is an
Independent Practice State. This means the administration of anesthesia by CRNAs is
an independent nursing function and does not require physician.
- Dr. KIM is not obligated to be in the OR at the time anesthesia is administered, but
he is obligated to have Intralipid in the facility and have protocols in place for the
administration of Intralipid for local anesthetic toxicity and he is responsible for the
overall care of the patient
That is NOT what the Colorado Supreme Court ruled or what the Governor opted out in 2012. Specifically, rural hospitals in certain locations were specified by the Governor at the time. Here is the exact opt-out in colorado:

The Colorado Supreme Court has upheld the opt-out option requiring physician supervision for a certified registered nurse anesthetist who administers anesthesia, as it relates to hospitals and other medical service in the state seeking Medicare reimbursement, according to the ruling.

The decision in Colorado Medical Society v. Hickenlooper was applauded by the Colorado Hospital Association, according to the American Hospital Association.

It allows CRNAs to practice in rural and critical access hospitals without direct physician supervision under rules developed by each facility in consultation with the medical staff, the AHA stated.

Certified: on Probation
See FSMB
Initial Certification 11/12/2011

Continuous Certification 12/01/2011 - 12/31/2021

That is NOT what the Colorado Supreme Court ruled or what the Governor opted out in 2012. Specifically, rural hospitals in certain locations were specified by the Governor at the time. Here is the exact opt-out in colorado:

The Colorado Supreme Court has upheld the opt-out option requiring physician supervision for a certified registered nurse anesthetist who administers anesthesia, as it relates to hospitals and other medical service in the state seeking Medicare reimbursement, according to the ruling.

The decision in Colorado Medical Society v. Hickenlooper was applauded by the Colorado Hospital Association, according to the American Hospital Association.

It allows CRNAs to practice in rural and critical access hospitals without direct physician supervision under rules developed by each facility in consultation with the medical staff, the AHA stated.

so this place is a rural center? i was just surprised to see the lawsuit say that

One of the articles or comments said he wasn’t board certified. Doesn’t change anything, but I wouldn’t trust a surgeon who couldn’t pass that hurdle. Perhaps he really believed that the arrest was only 1 minute long. Of course he wasn’t in the room at the time, so “it just happened” is only as trustworthy as the person who said it.
If you overreact in an emergency, make conservative calls, etc. you won’t be crucified when things go wrong, but when you pretend it isn’t happening and everything will be ok, that’s when you seal your fate.

Any cardiac arrest warrants a 911 call and hospital admission. They aren't going to discharge her from the clinic home even if she woke up after ROSC.

1M% below the standard of care, and so negligent that it should be criminal. As is the 5 hours between noting the emergency and calling 911. They’re both going to get what they deserve for their criminal level of incompetence.

wholeheartedly agree with you. What occurred was negligent, unethical, amoral, and absolutely criminal. I believe patient safety organizations, and national anesthesia societies, who have any interest whatsoever in patient safety have a duty to inform the public to the best of their ability about these types of cases. people need to understand what it is they're actually signing up and who is caring for their life when they receive anesthesia and/or surgery, especially if it occurs in an office setting where standards can be more lax (which the public generally isn't aware of).

I believe patient safety organizations, and national anesthesia societies, who have any interest whatsoever in patient safety have a duty to inform the public to the best of their ability about these types of cases. people need to understand what it is they're actually signing up and who is caring for their life when they receive anesthesia and/or surgery, especially if it occurs in an office setting where standards can be more lax (which the public generally isn't aware of).
Those patient safety organizations that you speak of is YOU. I do not believe in patient safety organizations. Those are the same organizations that ****ing undermine me everywhere with their dumb protocols and then when I ask them where the fiberoptic bronchoscope is their response is we dont really use that here. Then you have no credibility.
IT is MY duty to inform every ****ing body that i know of what is going on with so called patient safety and these nurse fakey doctors posing as real physicians. It is awful to watch and the above case will continue to play out. So if you want to accomplish something it has to be done on the grassroots level. Email your chief, your residency director. your boss and let them know you are NOT ok with what is transpiring. This is no time to play nice when it comes down to this.

In a way, I feel bad for Rex Meeker. It seems that after the cardiac arrest and ROSC he wanted to call 911 but was overruled by Kim. Meeker looks like he has aged horribly. I think a lot of stress and regret from what happened. Kim looks like a sociopath with that half smug look.
Are you white? Maybe you just feel more sympathy towards Meeker because he's white and Kim isn't.

(Closed-minded white people will read this and spaz out rather than trying to understand. Minorities and open-minded white people will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Are you white? Maybe you just feel more sympathy towards Meeker because he's white and Kim isn't.

(Closed-minded white people will read this and spaz out rather than trying to understand. Minorities and open-minded white people will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

I am not white

• Haha

I feel like that was unnecessary. He was saying he feels bad for Meeker because he wanted to do the right thing and call 911 immediately but was stopped by Kim. You can ruin one's career by making assumptions like that I'd be more careful in the future.

I’m a minority and I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

Weird take on their response. They were very clear about why they felt pity for Meeker.

Also love the way that you went ahead and basically preemptively stated that, “if you don’t agree with my assessment, then you are a close minded racist.”

Reactions: 5 users
In a way, I feel bad for Rex Meeker. It seems that after the cardiac arrest and ROSC he wanted to call 911 but was overruled by Kim. Meeker looks like he has aged horribly. I think a lot of stress and regret from what happened. Kim looks like a sociopath with that half smug look.

Really there was nothing to stop Meeker or anybody else in that office from dialing 911 with their own phone. Unless he believed Kim was the “captain of the ship” and wanted to continue working with him. Dialing 911 does not require a consensus. So many good lessons all around in this case.

I may have missed this. Has anyone discussed the fact that Dr Kims license was reinstated with the provision that he work with an anesthesiologist. First time I heard of a state board mandate care done by an anesthesiologist in a opt out state. The board defines care administered by a nurse anesthetist as below an anesthesiologist. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I may have missed this. Has anyone discussed the fact that Dr Kims license was reinstated with the provision that he work with an anesthesiologist. First time I heard of a state board mandate care done by an anesthesiologist in a opt out state. The board defines care administered by a nurse anesthetist as below an anesthesiologist. Thoughts?

Yeah I read that part with interest. Medical standard of care by an anesthesiologist exceeds nursing standard of care by a CRNA. The AANA and nursing organizations remained glaringly silent to this state medical board ruling. I wonder if Geoffrey Kim continued to do cases after the Emmalyn Incident, because i imagine any anesthesiologist in their right mind would refuse to work with someone like him.

If Dr. Kim needs an anesthesiologist to perform surgeries, what about Dr. Park down the street? Dr. Park is OK to work with Meeker?

If Dr. Kim needs an anesthesiologist to perform surgeries, what about Dr. Park down the street? Dr. Park is OK to work with Meeker?

2 idiots aren’t allowed to work together. Need at least 1 sensible person in the room.