Cost of starting a practice ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it run to go into a private practice yourself from scratch? Also, what is malpractice like? Any specific laws for New York?

Members don't see this ad.

bkpa2med said:
What does it run to go into a private practice yourself from scratch? Also, what is malpractice like? Any specific laws for New York?

I would recommend you talking to Podiatrists who are solo practictioners, especially in NY (if you are interested in establishing practice in NY). Perhaps, they can shed some light as to how much is needed to start up a practice. As for Malpractice for Podiatric Surgeons, it will vary from state to state. For example, malpractice insurance rate in Philadelphia for Podiatric Surgeons is very high as compare to New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Remember, the malpractice insurance rate will be lower in the first two years after residency. You should talk to various podiatrists in the area where you want to set up your practice about their malpractice insurance rate.

dpmgrad said:
I would recommend you talking to Podiatrists who are solo practictioners, especially in NY (if you are interested in establishing practice in NY). Perhaps, they can shed some light as to how much is needed to start up a practice. As for Malpractice for Podiatric Surgeons, it will vary from state to state. For example, malpractice insurance rate in Philadelphia for Podiatric Surgeons is very high as compare to New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Remember, the malpractice insurance rate will be lower in the first two years after residency. You should talk to various podiatrists in the area where you want to set up your practice about their malpractice insurance rate.

Is there a place where we could look up the demographics of practicing Podiatrists by state and age?

Members don't see this ad :)
doclm said:
Is there a place where we could look up the demographics of practicing Podiatrists by state and age?

You might want to check out the annual survey done by Podiatric Management magazine and the podiatric practice survey that APMA does every couple years and published in JAPMA. However, I think that best resource to access the demographics information of practicing podiatrists would be the APMA Young Members Geographic Opportunity Guide, which can be accessed by APMA/APMSA members in the YMAP section of the APMA website. I hope that this helps.

dpmgrad said:
You might want to check out the annual survey done by Podiatric Management magazine and the podiatric practice survey that APMA does every couple years and published in JAPMA. However, I think that best resource to access the demographics information of practicing podiatrists would be the APMA Young Members Geographic Opportunity Guide, which can be accessed by APMA/APMSA members in the YMAP section of the APMA website. I hope that this helps.

Is there a way I could access this members area? I have looked at getting into it in the past, however I thought you need to be a student, graduate or something like that.

doclm said:
Is there a way I could access this members area? I have looked at getting into it in the past, however I thought you need to be a student, graduate or something like that.

Unfortunately, it is restricted to APMA / APMSA members. The GOA Manual consists of a bunch of files. If it was only one file, I could have downloaded and email it to you. But, unfortunately, it is not.

dpmgrad said:
Unfortunately, it is restricted to APMA / APMSA members. The GOA Manual consists of a bunch of files. If it was only one file, I could have downloaded and email it to you. But, unfortunately, it is not.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

doclm said:
Thanks for your help :thumbup:

something else to consider, will it be an existing structure, lease (build to suit), or new construction. All those thing will add to or reduce costs, some upfront other later. I would be very careful of a built to suit lease IMHI.