costs of the visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santa_claus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how much the Visa application costs? I was almost ready to submit my app when I saw the prompt to enter my credit card # to pay $420! Am I filling out the wrong app? Somewhere on that huge immi website I read about Form 157A and 157E, which are for "student (temporary) visa" and costs $420, and which I am apparently filling out, and about Form 157P, which is "student visa with permission to work" and which only costs $60 to apply for? Which one is it? Is applying for visa really that expensive? That medical exam was enough of a rip-off!

Members don't see this ad.

jesus, it's gotten worse since i last applied for one... aarrrrrgh... yeah, it is actually that expensive, and the $60 extra is to apply for an additional part time work permit. don't worry about that for now until you actually have the visa to begin with.

santa_claus said:
Can someone please tell me how much the Visa application costs? I was almost ready to submit my app when I saw the prompt to enter my credit card # to pay $420! Am I filling out the wrong app? Somewhere on that huge immi website I read about Form 157A and 157E, which are for "student (temporary) visa" and costs $420, and which I am apparently filling out, and about Form 157P, which is "student visa with permission to work" and which only costs $60 to apply for? Which one is it? Is applying for visa really that expensive? That medical exam was enough of a rip-off!

Why how much did the medical exam cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
santa_claus said:
Form 157P, which is "student visa with permission to work" and which only costs $60

You cannot get permission to work until after you have landed in Australia and completed registration at your University - so Banana K is correct in saying not to worry about this now. Your initial visa will say that you are not permitted to work - but don't worry - you will have this changed later.

After you've completed your registration, an administrator at your school will update your file with Immigration - and then you can get your permission to work.

Well I have to pay $110 CAD to have some old doctor guy look into my eyes ears and nose, listen to my chest and poke around my boobs. I had to shell out next 35 bucks for the chest x-ray, and another 45 to have some blood drawn. If you are not originally from high-risk country, you may save 35 bucks because you won't need chest x-ray. And that was cheap, considering some other doctors I contacted charged up to $280 just for the medical exam.

Just curious about something I saw on the visa section that you guys may or may not know. The doctor that gives you the medical exam has to be approved by the Australian High Commission as they have a list of approved phycisions. Just a not before you guys go get it done with any old doctor.

The guy I went to was approved by Panel allright. But yeah, you can't have physical done just by any doctor, has to be from the list on the immi website.

hi,
has anyone run into any directions that they should SEND THEIR ORIGINAL PASSPORTS in to the immigration dept when they apply for a student visa? :thumbdown: i definitely have never had to do this before, and i was just surfing around to find out... i was looking with PhD visa subclass in mind, but is this the case for non research higher education including medicine now too? gahh! i feel very naked without my passport, and i was definitely planning to travel during that time... i don't want to just relinquish my passport for 3 weeks! :eek:

oh boy, someday when i get citizenship... amanda vanstone is going to get a very irritated letter from me.

banana k said:
hi,
has anyone run into any directions that they should SEND THEIR ORIGINAL PASSPORTS in to the immigration dept when they apply for a student visa? :thumbdown: i definitely have never had to do this before, and i was just surfing around to find out... i was looking with PhD visa subclass in mind, but is this the case for non research higher education including medicine now too? gahh! i feel very naked without my passport, and i was definitely planning to travel during that time... i don't want to just relinquish my passport for 3 weeks! :eek:

oh boy, someday when i get citizenship... amanda vanstone is going to get a very irritated letter from me.

Yeah, when I was getting a visa for the UK, they required my passport. They stuck their sticker in there, and then sent it back.

It wasn't pleasant. I think that it'll feel better the second time around..

Off2Oz said:
Yeah, when I was getting a visa for the UK, they required my passport. They stuck their sticker in there, and then sent it back.

It wasn't pleasant. I think that it'll feel better the second time around..

that sounds like it would be prefaced by "bend over"!
GRRRR! i don't want to completely reschedule 6 weeks of travel plans! dammit!

I think I read somewhere that for the e-visa, you just print it out and carry it with your passport...

very true, but you can't always GET an e-visa... apparently if i go the phd route (still haven't decided... i know, i know...) i can't do a durned thing through the internet and may have to show up at the embassy in DC in person. anyone have experience with in-person visa applications?

blah.

Hi All,

This question has been asked in several other boards, but I haven't seen a clear answer yet. I am a Canadian, residing in Canada with the closest Australian Embassy in Ottawa. I recently applied using the eVISA application online for a student visa and I am unclear as to where I have to send my health check documents. The processing centre is located at in Perth, and they provide addresses to send documents there, but I also read in other parts of the site that the documents need to be sent to the nominated embassy you chose (which would be Ottawa in my case). Anyone able to shed some light on this small but confusing matter. Thanks in advance.

--CBB

The doctor I did my health check with sent all the documents for me. I believe they went to Perth not Ottawa, according to the online status inquiry they have recieved all my medical information so now I just have to wait.
Scott

cbbeu06 said:
Hi All,

This question has been asked in several other boards, but I haven't seen a clear answer yet. I am a Canadian, residing in Canada with the closest Australian Embassy in Ottawa. I recently applied using the eVISA application online for a student visa and I am unclear as to where I have to send my health check documents. The processing centre is located at in Perth, and they provide addresses to send documents there, but I also read in other parts of the site that the documents need to be sent to the nominated embassy you chose (which would be Ottawa in my case). Anyone able to shed some light on this small but confusing matter. Thanks in advance.

--CBB

banana k said:
i feel very naked without my passport, and i was definitely planning to travel during that time... i don't want to just relinquish my passport for 3 weeks! :eek:

Not to freak you out or anything... but I did a postgrad degree in Oz and had to mail the embassy my passport in advance. I think I sent it to them 1-2 months (?) in advance, as directed, but I didn't receive it back in the mail until 2:00 p.m. of my day of departure and my flight was at 4:00 p.m.!! I nearly had a heart attack. I basically had barely enough time to check the mail and speed to the airport. Holy cow, that last week before my departure was full of anxious phone calls to the embassy and personal deliberations of whether or not I should cancel my flight (it was nonrefundable, non-changeable). Talk about major stress!