Other OT-Related Information COTA's in managerial or supervisor positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if occupational therapy assistants with experience are allowed or permitted to hold managerial or supervisory positions, such director of rehabilitation services in a hospital for instance?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if occupational therapy assistants with experience are allowed or permitted to hold managerial or supervisory positions, such director of rehabilitation services in a hospital for instance?
Not really. I did a quick job search and while I did see a handful of job offers that listed "Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant - Program Manager". However, those jobs usually listed COTA as a minimum requirement and went on to state that OT's, PTA's, and PT's were eligible to apply to the position as well. With all that competition, I wouldn't think chances are high. Doesn't seem super common, but who knows?
What kind of experience are we talking? If you have a bachelor's/master's in health administration from a previous career and a COTA, I could see that being competitive.

Not really. I did a quick job search and while I did see a handful of job offers that listed "Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant - Program Manager". However, those jobs usually listed COTA as a minimum requirement and went on to state that OT's, PTA's, and PT's were eligible to apply to the position as well. With all that competition, I wouldn't think chances are high. Doesn't seem super common, but who knows?
What kind of experience are we talking? If you have a bachelor's/master's in health administration from a previous career and a COTA, I could see that being competitive.

Just any type of a position in charge or leadership even if it's like a supervisor for a rehab for or something

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question, not likely. And again, do you have any years of experience supervising anything?

I did search specifically for "supervisor" and came up with even less results. I found 3 job listings in the nation: Therapy coordinator(Hawaii, New Mexico, ) and Supervisor - Rehab Scheduling (Atlanta).

OTA's are educated to know the basics and get really good at knowing the basics. It wouldn't make sense to pressure management responsibilities on an OTA with about a semester and a half worth of OT specific classes, to manage OT's with 4 semesters of OT graduate course work. And we haven't even began talking about managing a staff with PhD OT's! Management, team leader, and supervisory roles go to PhD or MSOT with *years* of experience.

Also, if you're interested in PA school - OTA's make significantly less than PA's.

To answer your question, not likely. And again, do you have any years of experience supervising anything?

I did search specifically for "supervisor" and came up with even less results. I found 3 job listings in the nation: Therapy coordinator(Hawaii, New Mexico, ) and Supervisor - Rehab Scheduling (Atlanta).

OTA's are educated to know the basics and get really good at knowing the basics. It wouldn't make sense to pressure management responsibilities on an OTA with about a semester and a half worth of OT specific classes, to manage OT's with 4 semesters of OT graduate course work. And we haven't even began talking about managing a staff with PhD OT's! Management, team leader, and supervisory roles go to PhD or MSOT with *years* of experience.

Also, if you're interested in PA school - OTA's make significantly less than PA's.

Why would you suggest being a PA if I'm on an OT board lol