Could I apply? Opinions please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aw42

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have read the forums for a while, any helpful opinions on my situation are appreciated.

My current situation:
Wrote the MCAT twice:
VR PS WS BS
10 11 N 13 34N newest
09 13 Q 12 34Q

undergrad GPA : 3.72
Currently, a grad student
gradGPA: 4.0
ECs/LORs/Research all standard
But still don't have an English course which many schools require.

I'm from Canada and I want to apply to the States. I understand that the selection is a little tougher for us being international.

1. Do you guys think I have a shot at mid/low tier schools being from Canada with these stats?
2. Do you think a re-writing of the MCAT is necessary to change the N to a Q or something?

Any guidance/words of encouragment would really help

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are very decent, but not at the WOW-level of many international applicants that you'd be competing with (US schools don't regard the writing score much, like some Canadian schools do). There are a limited number of US med schools that accept international applications and unfortunately many of them are in the very-selective category. If you get an acceptance, I think it will rest with the strength of your ECs, which means that "standard" won't help you much.

You can list the English class as a future course, so schools know you intend to take it. You need not have completed all the prerequisites at the time of application.

Would you like to give the precise details of your ECs? What is your grad program in?

Here is a link to the Canadian version of SDN, where you are likely to find more expertise about your plans: http://www.premed101.com/forums

The specific forum about applying to US schools is at: http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Thanks for the input Catalystick,
I do think you're right- my peers have WOW stats and I don't really. But I guess I'm hoping that they gain acceptance to Canada and give me their spot?

Here is what my ECs look like:

Awards: around 6 fellowships, scholarships, bursaries, and recognitions (federal/state levels)

Research: 4 summers and now 2 years (in M.Sc program)
Publications: 1, but not even close to first author
Abstracts: 4, 3 first author

Clinical experience:
1 month shadowing in Guatemala (Canada does not let you shadow, it is against the law.)

Volunteerism: Main commitments
Hospital general : 3 years
Tutoring: 2 years
Leadership facilitator : 1 year
Leadership position in organizing tutor program : 1 year
Founded an organization for student mental health : 0.5 year

On the side: Other Student Groups
-volunteer cook
-AIDS outreach organizer (2 different)
-Student activist for Mexico
-Director of Model UN

Suff just for me:
-Intramural basketball
-Journal club for research
-Salsa lessons
-In a band

Is it absolutely necessary to rewrite the MCAT with my score?

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops! I forgot to answer the question about the program- sorry! I'm in a Master's of Immunology program.
It is research based not course based.

You have a very respectable list of Experiences. Is there anything you would characterize as noncampus/nonmedical community service (cook maybe?). That you have an excellent GPA in a heavy-science masters will help along the same lines as an excellent EC would.

I have seen Canadians who post here get acceptances with numbers in your range who had a decent list of activities. Still, you're not a shoo-in. Are you going to apply to Irish, Australian, and Caribbean schools too (as a backup)?

I would not retake the MCAT. Some schools create a new composite for you taking the best subscore in each section, giving you a 36 MCAT. I don't know that any of them take Canadians though. You'll need to generate a list and do some research.

These might help:
US Schools policies on taking Internationals: Click on Advisor Resources, then click Medical School Admission Policies towards non-US Citizens. http://www.naahp.org

How schools consider multiple MCAT scores: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566616

You absolutely do not need to retake the MCAT. Writing score does not matter. 34 is respectable enough, especially as you have noted that you would be happy to go to a mid-tier school.
As thus, your GPA is also a perfect fit. 3.72 is more than sufficient.

Cat(lystik) gave you some very helpful links and you should definitely check them out- the premed101 forums.

There will be a list of schools there that have a stronger preference towards taking Canadian students compared to just any other international student.

Your research looks quite decent too, and you also demonstrate well-roundedness with your ECs.

Off the head, the Canadian friendly schools that you should be applying to Jefferson, Wayne, SLU, and if I were you, I would also dare gamble on some schools higher up starting from outside the top 10.

However your odds will more likely fall with a couple of interviews in the 20-30 range and more from the 30/40+ range.

Read premed101, there is a thread where we have highlighted schools that have been positive towards Canadian applicants in teh recent past.

Oh btw,
I think you will get in somewhere too. =)
I've seen enough applications to have a general idea.
(As long as you remember to act like a normal human being during your interview. which doesnt seem to be too difficult to you from your posts)
And I'm rarely wrong. (I would like to say never, but I will be bashed for having illusions of grandeur... :p)

Oh.. and listen to Cat. Shes the oracle of SDN WAMC.
:D

Wow thanks Bannie22 and Catalysik. The links are very helpful and it's good to know that I have a shot at some schools in the US.

Re Catalysik: I don't think I'm going to apply to Carribean / Australian / UK because after you get the MD/MBBS it is harder to come back to Canada, and I need to look after my family.
Luckily, US schools can give you "special status" as a Canadian "international medical graduate IMG" when you write the canadian CARMS.

Bannie22, thanks for the tips on which schools to apply to and the encouragement! I looked at your MDapps profile (wow, you destroyed the MCAT) and am curious where you chose to accept. BTW, I'm at UT as well and it's friggin brutal.

Thanks guys!