Could I still apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kptnau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.95
MCAT = none taken yet! I'm a good test taker, however I lack some prereqs for it...
Prereqs = lacking o-chem 1 and 2 and bio 2. (I have taken anatomy 1 and 2)
Shadowing = very little, but easily attained
LOR's = none yet, but again i'm confident I could get one.

So basically, is it possible?
MCAT I could take in January
Prereqs I could do 2 in the spring and maybe one during the summer? Do pod schools start in August? Would that be too late?
Shadowing/LOR's I could do pretty easily get 25 hours and get a letter.

This is kind of a spur of the moment thing because I may switch to Podiatry. We'll see!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

GPA 3.95
MCAT = none taken yet! I'm a good test taker, however I lack some prereqs for it...
Prereqs = lacking o-chem 1 and 2 and bio 2. (I have taken anatomy 1 and 2)
Shadowing = very little, but easily attained
LOR's = none yet, but again i'm confident I could get one.

So basically, is it possible?
MCAT I could take in January
Prereqs I could do 2 in the spring and maybe one during the summer? Do pod schools start in August? Would that be too late?
Shadowing/LOR's I could do pretty easily get 25 hours and get a letter.

This is kind of a spur of the moment thing because I may switch to Podiatry. We'll see!

Thanks!

The title of this thread lead me to believe this was going to be ANOTHER "is it too late" thread, but thank goodness it is not!

Basically, if you can solidify a REAL plan to get these pre-reqs done, and you do "well" on the MCAT (>23), you'll probably be okay. Your current GPA shows you can handle classes well, but schools will still be a bit wary that you are missing so many pre-reqs and you only have like 7 months to complete them all.

Take the MCAT in Jan, do well on it, solidify a plan for your pre-reqs, and you'll be good.

Also keep in mind you need at least 90 credits (it's not clear if you had a career change or are just an under classmen.)

As max said you will be fine assuming you get an average mcat score.

Good luck.

I have my bachelor's. Mostly I'm worried about getting the O-chem done in time. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be a waste of my time to apply this year. That makes it more tempting. Thanks!