Is Podiatry still feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thefuturepod11

Reaction score
I’ve been lurking here for quite some time now on both the pre pod and attending forums. I have come across maybe a handful of positive things, and 100’s of negatives. As someone who is starting school this fall, I had a few questions for some other students and attendings:

1: Are there any positives to this career, or simply the fact that you get to help people and the gratification that comes with it?

2: if you were looking at going to school in todays financial climate, what would be the maximum loan amount to make the ROI livable?

3: I understand SDN has a sample size of n=20, but I have shadowed and discussed with ~10 pods who love what they do and are financially very well off. Where is the disconnect between this and sdn?

4: How much surgery do pods actually do? And I am not talking about the schools agenda that they push. Could a reasonably competent graduate who obtained a decent residency still practice in the OR once a week?

5: Are we heading down the same path as pharmacy with current saturation trends?

Thanks I’m advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Use the search function because all of these questions are already addressed.
2: if you were looking at going to school in todays financial climate, what would be the maximum loan amount to make the ROI livable?
white coat investor says debt to income ratio of 1:1 or 2:1 is a good investment. anything more (3:1 4:1) is a poor investment. If you're able to just take loan out for school that would be ideal, or living in a low COL area. going to the texas school would help you keep costs reasonable.

I like podiatry and I'm happy I'm in it. That being said, a PA goes to school for 2 years and the salary range is anywhere from 85k to 150k. low end salary ranges for podiatry are ALSO around 84-150k. Sure there are some docs on here that make more but it seems like a waste of time to go through 7 years of school when you could make the same amount of money doing a 2 year masters with half the amount of debt (likely with better benefits too!).

I think the forum comes off negative because everyone else has alternative motives. Schools will tell you grades don't matter, training is all the same blah blah blah. All they really care about is raking in the $$$. Most of us on here like what we do, but there are easier ways to make money while still being able to help people in medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Trust the average salary for the profession (more or less) just know there is not a well defined floor or ceiling.....some are doing much, much better than others. Think of a podiatrist as more like a veterinarian in many ways in that some are doing better than others. We don't have a well defined good salary and benefit package as profession like many MD specialties.

2. The speciality itself is good, if your job is good

3. Most podiatrists do surgery one morning per week with some doing much, much more and some much, much less

4. One usually does shadow a podiatrist that is doing above average or much above average, Those not doing as well tend to be a bit more invisible but they definitely exist in this profession.

5. The job market sucks, but many find a way to do well eventually despite this. It is hard not to be envious of the job market in other healthcare professions. Some podiatrists in private practice make insane amounts of money...some as savy entrepreneurs and some by doing scammy things. Most of the jobs are as an associate which tend to be bad. You need to be an owner in one of the better private practices, start your own or scrap for the good hospital jobs. If you finally get a good job or become an owner you probably won't switch your job (which is both good and bad).

6. ROI is absolutely great for the top 20 percent, horrible for the bottom 20 percent and somewhere in the middle for the rest.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It can be the most lucrative job you could possibly imagine.... it can also put you out there bringing in 150k and feeling like you should have just done something else for 150k

The problem entirely revolves around the garbage job market. At any given time throughout the entire country there are about a dozen institutional jobs (and these will pay 200-300k+). Now consider 300-700 graduating residents yearly and realize how difficult it would be to obtain one of these jobs. You don't have the capital or the knowledge/wit/drive/whatever to start your own business/practice, so instead you go work for Dr. Mustache Sr. DPM for 80-100k. It may take you 2-10 years to finally escape getting screwed in private practice... all because of saturation. The potential for awful ROI is real.

I’ve been lurking here for quite some time now on both the pre pod and attending forums. I have come across maybe a handful of positive things, and 100’s of negatives. As someone who is starting school this fall, I had a few questions for some other students and attendings:

1: Are there any positives to this career, or simply the fact that you get to help people and the gratification that comes with it?

3: I understand SDN has a sample size of n=20, but I have shadowed and discussed with ~10 pods who love what they do and are financially very well off. Where is the disconnect between this and sdn?

4: How much surgery do pods actually do? And I am not talking about the schools agenda that they push. Could a reasonably competent graduate who obtained a decent residency still practice in the OR once a week?

5: Are we heading down the same path as pharmacy with current saturation trends?

Thanks I’m advance!

1. Helping people is the main positive. However, you may not necessarily get to help people the way you want to ie. you have aspirations of sports medicine or reconstruction or teaching but instead you mainly offer ingrown toenail surgery and plantar fasciitis care (still enjoyable and honestly the backbone of even a successful moderately surgical practice). However, it is also entirely possible you find yourself doing way nail more cutting than you wanted. My partner was complaining to me the other day that he felt like the only thing he was getting was nailcare. To tease him I told him that his father was a podiatrist and that he knew what he signed up for. He didn't find this very funny, but the take home is that nailcare is often a sore spot for a lot of podiatrists. There's always someone trying to get into the office masquerading as something else but begging for their nails or calluses to be trimmed. In time, this may not bother you. You may simply resolve to find a way to make money from it. But you'll always remember in the back of your mind the years, the debt, the training only to be the person that nailcare and onychomycosis is always referred to first.

2. The problem with this question is there's probably very little you can control about it unless you already have money or are married. The Texas school is cheap by comparison, but unless something has changed it likely is required to take 90% Texans. DMU likely offers the lowest cost of living but is probably very similar to the other schools in cost. I used to believe you could control cost of living and - you can, but the other inherent costs and time are so large that the controllable variables are somewhat small by comparison. I personally graduated with a little over $100K in debt. Its a lot easier to borrow money than it is to pay it back.

3. Most of us are financially successful. The most common posters on this forum are now in general hospital or orthopedic employed. I co-own a private practice. The issue is - we're all very aware of the horrible jobs market because many of us got ripped off at some point. Those nice successful owners who seem so great to you will rip your face off when it comes time to work for them. Bases wages are low. Percent collections are often low. Practices expenses are routinely pushed onto the associate. And yet buyins are often astronomical. If you think you are done spending money after you graduate - you are likely wrong unless you get a hospital/VA job.

4. I don't have time to give you a great answer here, but I'll again offer you a twist - are you getting to do the surgery you want to do. Most podiatrists are not operating anywhere near what other surgical specialties are doing. You can potentially have higher volume if you are interested in "limb salvage", amputations etc. but this comes with its own issues (compliance, infections etc). Hacking dead meat off people may or may not give you joy. Most people aren't doing trauma or large recons and these cases come with their own downsides like large global post-op periods. The other issue is - surgery can actually work against the revenue of your practice. I believe I've told this story before on here but awhile back I went to a hospital to do a 1st MPJ fusion and a large bone/osteomyelitis resection. Both patients had some health issues. One was referred by my partner and the other from a WHC. Total revenue from the two cases was maybe just over $1000 and I spent hours at the hospital and rounded the next day. Easily, hands down, I would have made more money simply seeing patients in my clinic. Bunions with hammertoes is in fact some of the most lucrative work we do if the patient has commercial insurance.

5. We are already saturated based on the job market. The next few years may feature a bizarre period of instability. New unnecessary schools will be opening but the applicant pool is collapsing. No idea what will happen but if the matriculant pool doesn't normalize it may/will(?) collapse the residency system.

PS
Final usual comments. The schools are too inconsistent, take too many dumb students, are fixated on money. Residency surgical training is too variable. Hospital jobs that pay good starting wages are too rare. Private practices are essentially universally predatory. Practice environments are variable. Or board certification process is awful. State scopes are variable. Commercial insurances are reducing rates, reducing Medicare Advantage rates.

• Love
If "feasible" is all you aspire to, podiatry will be perfectly adequate.

1. There are plenty of positives to podiatry that are not unique to podiatry and many health professionals experience. There are plenty of negatives that are entirely unique to podiatry.

2. See posts above

3. I thought it might be a good way to give back to reach out to the area high school to have some kids shadow. Then I realized I didn't want anyone to follow in my footsteps.

4. I do 8-10 cases/month which I do not consider exceptional.

5. See hey brother's post

If "feasible" is all you aspire to, podiatry will be perfectly adequate.

1. There are plenty of positives to podiatry that are not unique to podiatry and many health professionals experience. There are plenty of negatives that are entirely unique to podiatry.

2. See posts above

3. I thought it might be a good way to give back to reach out to the area high school to have some kids shadow. Then I realized I didn't want anyone to follow in my footsteps.

4. I do 8-10 cases/month which I do not consider exceptional.

5. See hey brother's post
Yes make sure you understand it can be bad as listed here. When I got into podiatry I shadowed some family members but their situations were a lot different than whats listed here, which is why I ultimately went into podiatry. I have never known someone personally making 100k who is out of residency, but apparently its true based on what people are typing on the internet here.

The main thing people underestimate is the seven grueling long years especially considering where you do your residency. those years are hard and long. your family life will suffer and maybe even your mental health. and then the most jobs out there pay $100k when you are $300k in debt. don't do podiatry.

PM News is a very pro podiatry publication. Yet this poll slipped through.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I have never known someone personally making 100k who is out of residency, but apparently its true based on what people are typing on the internet here.

Hi, my name is Adam Smasher. Near the end of my residency, I was offered 110k+10% beyond 3x from one practice. 85k flat from another. Crazy thing, they were the ones who passed ME over. Now you (kinda) know someone.

It's not just the money. It's the sacrifices you have to make along the way that you don't need to make in other paths.

Hi, my name is Adam Smasher. Near the end of my residency, I was offered 110k+10% beyond 3x from one practice. 85k flat from another. Crazy thing, they were the ones who passed ME over. Now you (kinda) know someone.

It's not just the money. It's the sacrifices you have to make along the way that you don't need to make in other paths.
Oh no I know people who were OFFERED those horrible terms, dont know anyone who actually took them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no I know people who were OFFERED those horrible terms, dont know anyone who actually took them.

Ah yes, a much better alternative to these horrible terms is just simply choosing unemployment.

Ah yes, a much better alternative to these horrible terms is just simply choosing unemployment.
They were offered those while in their 3rd year, they had time before completion of residency to find a better paying job. But yes some candidates wont be equipped to find these jobs and of course people will not be making the money they "think" they deserve.

They were offered those while in their 3rd year, they had time before completion of residency to find a better paying job. But yes some candidates wont be equipped to find these jobs and of course people will not be making the money they "think" they deserve.
Which is our point, there's not enough good employment opportunities for all graduates.

However, I see the point that I think you're alluding to, that some grads are nitwits and don't deserve good jobs. If the colleges of podiatry don't take their money and youth, something else will. Not that I agree with this sentiment.

Bottom line is as a whole this forum is shockingly accurate as to what the podiatry profession is really like.

If the cons versus the pros scare some away I can understand that. There are lots of other career options for many, for some maybe not so much. It really depends on what other professions you are also interested in and can realistically get into versus podiatry.

You do not want to be a bottom feeder academically, weird, extremely introverted or passive in this profession.....you will likely be screwed. If you are a weird RN for example you just work the night shift and get paid more than the day shift with less work. You could probably find a desk job also. Podiatry is largely private practice/small business.

You need more than your degree to do well in podiatry. You need something else like confidence, charisma, connections, grit, being extremely geographically open, being an entrepreneur or training that sets you apart from your peers if you want a reasonable ROI. DPM does not equal a good job waiting upon finishing your residency...not even close. The education is good enough, residencies for all, the specialty itself is rewarding enough.....the job market sucks which is the largest negative and a major one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Bottom line is as a whole this forum is shockingly accurate as to what the podiatry profession is really like.

If the cons versus the pros scare some away I can understand that. There are lots of other career options for many, for some maybe not so much. It really depends on what other professions you are also interested in and can realistically get into versus podiatry.

You do not want to be a bottom feeder academically, weird, extremely introverted or passive in this profession.....you will likely be screwed. If you are a weird RN for example you just work the night shift and get paid more than the day shift with less work. You could probably find a desk job also. Podiatry is largely private practice/small business.

You need more than your degree to do well in podiatry. You need something else like confidence, charisma, connections, grit, being extremely geographically open, being an entrepreneur or training that sets you apart from your peers if you want a reasonable ROI. DPM does not equal a good job waiting upon finishing your residency...not even close. The education is good enough, residencies for all, the specialty itself is rewarding enough.....the job market sucks which is the largest negative and a major one.
The part about your personality determining success in your podiatry career I think is the BEST way to put it. This business is just that... a business. If you think you'll be able to make money simply because you have a DPM degree you are wrong... BUT if you are business savvy a lot to either start your own successful practice or network into a good job, you will be great and you'll love every day you work. Unfortunately it seemed obvious at least for a lot of people I went to school with that they would be introverted, a little weird, and assume the degree gets ya the pay check.

Thank you all for the thorough responses… definitely a lot to think over if going to school is still the right option. I have received 2 DO interviews this cycle, one WL and one hasn’t gotten back yet. Probably better of to go through the nightmare of a MCAT retake than to jobless with a doctorate degree. Now that I think about it, all 10 DPM’s were located at hospitals within the Midwest… the best jobs apparently to those on this thread! Thanks again for the responses!

Maybe not jobless, but there is a chance you could be highly disappointed with the job options or end up becoming a solo doctor and a small business owner....you are close to getting in DO school. You would not be a bottom feeder academically in this profession. This alone does not guarantee success in podiatry, but it
ups your odds some. It is best to try another cycle for DO. If that does not work out take another look at the pros and cons of podiatry versus any other career options you might might also be considering as a back up. Have at least one other career option other than podiatry as a backup to thoroughly consider if medical school does not work out. Wether you end up eventually in podiatry or something else best of luck! At least you will have not made a quick decision and go in with realistic expectations if you end in this profession.

The vast majority on this forum are not trying to scare anyone away. Most are even doing well on this forum. The typical person that ends up in podiatry is someone who did not get into medical school (but was close) or sadly an applicant that did not have the grades for many other options (some of those do make the best of their opportunity in podiatry and at least this group explored their other options more and had very few other choices).

Podiatry on the surface looks like a desirable MD alternative. It definitely has its own sets of pros and cons. Many should have at taken an extra year to try for DO school or have tried again (up MCAT or improve application in some other way) and/or also really explored some other potential career choices before choosing podiatry. Some other career choices might have slightly different pre requisites, but podiatry just lends itself so easily for the medical school applicant that did not get in. I am sure you would have lots of other career options also. Maybe podiatry is the best of those options as a backup and maybe not, but don't rush it just because the prerequisites line up and you will get in easy. Podiatry will always be there for you as a backup.

Last edited:
Sad thing is this is exactly the type potential student we need more of in this profession.

If saturation would ever go away one could honestly say if you spent time to make sure you like the specialty and are OK with mainly private practice/clinical jobs it is a great profession.

Nope....I would rather tell the truth about how podiatry can be a great profession for some, but you should very carefully read the fine print twice before committing.

Sad thing is this is exactly the type potential student we need more of in this profession.

If saturation would ever go away one could honestly say if you spent time to make sure you like the specialty and are OK with mainly private practice/clinical jobs it is a great profession.

Nope....I would rather tell the truth about how podiatry can be a great profession for some, but you should very carefully read the fine print twice before committing.
The weird part about it all is that out of the 100’s of hours shadowing other specialties, podiatry was some of my favorite expiriences…

Part of me really wants to be that rural private practice pod with his own practice independence, but hard to ignore the instability of the profession as a whole

I didn’t want to make a completely new thread, but wondering if any of you had any information on deferring a pod acceptance? With the admission #’s being low I would think it would be in there best interest.

Thanks in advance!
They could also view deferral as a way of holding out for something better. That said, I suspect you are simply going to have to ask each school what their specific policy is.

Disclaimer: I do fairly well as a podiatrist. I am happy with what I do.

The purpose of this post is to give more transparency to Podiatry as a career and examine its changing ROI. If Podiatry school tuition wasn't so high or if podiatry salaries increased in parallel to compensate and if job market saturation was not a problem I wouldn't be making this post.

The addition of 2 new podiatry schools was completely unnecessary and if there was a national poll of practicing Podiatrists it would show majority disapproval.

Podiatry job market is expected to grow 2% over the next 10 years vs 28% for PAs.

If I were a student today I would personally go another route, but if you want to do Podiatry more power to you. The potential income ceiling is higher than many other careers including PA/NP but there is no guarantee with employed salary ranges going from 80k-350k. Being okay with this unknown income range, level of debt, and giving 7 years of your life is a question everyone applying to Podiatry school will have to ask themselves.

There is also no guarantee you will be able to use your full set of surgical skills depending on what ortho says. You may be limited to amputations or you may be able to do everything including Total Ankle Replacements. It's very political.

Where you want to live is also part of the equation. Due to saturation you may be forced to live somewhere you hate for the higher salaries.

You HAVE TO reach out to a 3rd year resident or new grad <2-5 years out to get the real scoop. Please do this before committing to this level of debt!!!

It can be soul crushing paying more per month for student loan debt than your mortgage (I speak from first hand experience)

New grads are graduating with $387,474 in loans (not including interest) to make $145,840 (Data from Midwestern and BLS.gov)

Tuition.JPG

Pod1.JPG

PA.JPG

hiddentemple.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.