Could really use some advice, guys!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arnoux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, I'm in a state of crisis right now and not sure whether to proceed or not with my plans for career in medicine. A little background first to let you know where I'm coming from.

I have BA and BSc from a UofT, a Canadian university (I'm Canadian citizen). I performed appallingly bad in my first few years at university and finished BA with a GPA of 1.82! I had no idea what to do with myself and had no discipline. That was some years ago. Since then I worked abroad and volunteered in the slums of eastern Africa. It's there that I found a passion for working with individuals on the edges of society and decided to pursue further education in mental health and eventually a career in psychiatry. So I came back to Canada and completed a BSc with GPA of 3.62 on 4.0 scale. A substantial improvement. Recently I wrote MCAT with little preparation and scored 504 (CP 125, CARS 129, BB 122, PSB 128). Feeling that I could score substantially higher with proper preparation, I scheduled another MCAT for September and been studying for it for it this summer. My plan was to score as high as possible and apply to Canadian-friendly American DO and MD schools since competition in Ontario is too stiff for somebody with my stats.

But a couple of days ago I downloaded AMCAS GPA excel calculator and discovered to my shock and horror that since my BA took over four years to complete, some of those atrocious grades would end up being lumped together with my BSc grades in one post-bacc section and if that is the case, then the evidence of vast improvement between the first and the second degree would be diminished. However, since I never took any science before doing BSc, my overall sGPA is still around 3.61 and this includes grades for all the so-called pre-med courses that I took including physics, calculus, chemistry, bio, etc.

So now I do not know what to do. Do I have any chance at American DO schools? I lost all motivation to study for MCAT since I now feel like, what's the point? If my only shot at medicine is some Caribbean school then my current MCAT score would probably suffice. Speaking of Caribbean schools, I wouldn't mind doing residency in FM in the sticks somewhere in the US but I know this path is very risky.

Guys, any advice?

Thank you so much for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for the ~14 DO schools that accept internationals. Start list with MSUCOM and UNECOM.

Thank you for the reply, but could you please elaborate? Would these schools look at my two degrees separately? My cGPA across both degrees would be an average of 1.82 and 3.61.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine for the ~14 DO schools that accept internationals. Start list with MSUCOM and UNECOM.

Doesn't the 122 in BB hurt OP?

I realize that a 504 overall MCAT is slightly above average for DO matriculation, but can one sub-section drag it down? How much do schools scrutinize one poor sub-section?

I realize that a 504 overall MCAT is slightly above average for DO matriculation, but can one sub-section drag it down? How much do schools scrutinize one poor sub-section?

If I really do have a shot at American DO schools, I will absolutely retake MCAT and fix that low BB score.

All DO schools will look at your overall cGPA and sGPA across both degrees. What is your overall cGPA?

Applying as an International applicant with a 504 MCAT (especially with a 122 in B/B) is going to count as a strike against you. If you're going to retake the MCAT, then you absolutely must make sure you redeem yourself by scoring higher. Do NOT take the MCAT until you are performing well on AAMC practice tests.

I don't think US MD is possible. Your only shot is US DO and any Canadian schools you may be eligible for.

All DO schools will look at your overall cGPA and sGPA across both degrees. What is your overall cGPA?

I don't know exactly since my transcript lists GPAs separately. It would be approximately an average of 1.82 and 3.61, but skewed closer to the higher number since I took more courses when completing BSc. So my only hope is that adcoms give more weight to the second degree rather than the first one. Your thoughts?

Thank you for the reply, but could you please elaborate? Would these schools look at my two degrees separately? My cGPA across both degrees would be an average of 1.82 and 3.61.
The more recent performance is the you of now, and would be weighted more.

Ooops, I didn't see that. Frankly, I'd autoreject the OP on the basis of that score alone. Lucky for OP my school only takes US citizens or Green Card holders. A retake is indeed in order.

The more recent performance is the you of now, and would be weighted more.

Ooops, I didn't see that. Frankly, I'd autoreject the OP on the basis of that score alone. Lucky for OP my school only takes US citizens or Green Card holders. A retake is indeed in order.

Thank you once again. So if I score substantially higher on MCAT and fix that Bio/Biochem section, would you say that I would have a decent chance at a DO school in the US?

I don't know exactly since my transcript lists GPAs separately. It would be approximately an average of 1.82 and 3.61, but skewed closer to the higher number since I took more courses when completing BSc.

You need to calculate your overall cGPA. If your overall cGPA is still less than 3.00, calculate how many more classes you'll need to take to raise it to =>3.00. Register for those classes and get straight A's. Otherwise, you'll be screened out by schools that have a 3.00 cGPA cut-off.

You need to calculate your overall cGPA. If your overall cGPA is still less than 3.00, calculate how many more classes you'll need to take to raise it to =>3.00. Register for those classes and get straight A's. Otherwise, you'll be screened out by schools that have a 3.00 cGPA cut-off.

So I calculated my cGPA and it's ~2.71. But this is simply using my school's GPA calculator as there aren't enough cells in the AMCAS excel calculator for all my courses and I don't know how to modify it. Given the total number of courses that I took, it's just not feasible now to push my cGPA up to the 3.00 mark... it would take years. I will have to apply to those schools that do not have such cutoffs.

So I calculated my cGPA and it's ~2.71. But this is simply using my school's GPA calculator as there aren't enough cells in the AMCAS excel calculator for all my courses and I don't know how to modify it. Given the total number of courses that I took, it's just not feasible now to push my cGPA up to the 3.00 mark... it would take years. I will have to apply to those schools that do not have such cutoffs.
How long did it take you to complete the most recent BSc? What is your year by year breakdown? Did you take a full course load every year? Send me a PM of your BSc grades. I need raw grades such as the # of A's and B's, to give you a realistic assessment.

Last edited: