Could really use some advice right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cm1223

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied this past cycle and got 3 interviews and zero acceptances... until today. I got a call from admissions this afternoon telling me there had been a spot that had opened up and offering me the a place in the class. The class started its semester yesterday and I have until tomorrow morning to give admissions an answer. I would have to move out there tomorrow and start class this week. The school is OOS and about 12 hours away from where I live. I don't have a place to live, have absolutely no idea how i'm financing it, or really know anything about the school other than what I learned during my interview. I've already reapplied this cycle, but obviously there is no guarantee that I will be accepted. I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and how you handled it? Any advice would be very beneficial! Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know a lady that was accepted the day before class started. She up and went. She is on her way to being a dentist. I suggest you do the same. I'm sure they will help you adjust.

Reactions: 2 users
Take the offer! Never know if you will have another opportunity to get in dental school again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get an Airbnb until you can get a permanent housing. Search the Craigslist as well as a Facebook page for school housing at your school. They usually have spots available this time of the year since it's the beginning of the school period. Your school's dorm/housing might even have some spots available so call them too.

For financing, do the FAFSA, MPN, etc. asap as well as your school's financing application if they have it. I think the school would understand the late payment if you explain your situation.

Don't throw away this opportunity, some people would do anything to be in your position right now!

So I applied this past cycle and got 3 interviews and zero acceptances... until today. I got a call from admissions this afternoon telling me there had been a spot that had opened up and offering me the a place in the class. The class started its semester yesterday and I have until tomorrow morning to give admissions an answer. I would have to move out there tomorrow and start class this week. The school is OOS and about 12 hours away from where I live. I don't have a place to live, have absolutely no idea how i'm financing it, or really know anything about the school other than what I learned during my interview. I've already reapplied this cycle, but obviously there is no guarantee that I will be accepted. I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and how you handled it? Any advice would be very beneficial! Thank you all.

Not a dental student but here are my two cents.

If you accept their offer then you are a step closer to becoming a dentist. If you don't, you risk not becoming one. Being a reapplicant in any field isn't fun.
So, take the offer and run with it. Sure, it will be challenging moving to another state and settling in while adjusting to the curriculum but it's def possible.

Good luck.

Congrats! I personally would take the offer as it's guaranteed (you may not get in this cycle) and you'll get out one year sooner (than you would be by applying this cycle). I know financial/living stuff might put you in a panic mode, but just try to look around for spots, I'm sure you'll find one. Also, if you take out private loans to pay tuition while you wait for financial info from the school, I think the school can reverse and "return" the private loans.

On another note, hopefully this is some consolation: since you got in from last year's cycle, if you decide to accept the offer, send ADEA/AADSAS a copy of your acceptance letter asap and they'll refund your primary fees from this cycle, so you may end up with a little cushion to use for moving/tuition expenses :) Look on pg 39 of the instructions to see how.

Good luck and congrats again!

Thank you all for the replies! I’m going to go ahead and accept the offer and move out there tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 users
Right move. Drive safely. Study hard. See you in four years.
Cautionary Tale:
This happens in life all the time. I have seen it on the Residency side of things. Applicants who by all measures are just sitting on the sidelines June 29 all of a sudden get a call, and it changes their life. No one ever prepares you for this. It seems complicated at the time. Things have a way of working out. The dean of a dental school I am appointed to once said in a lecture: “when you encounter chaos, add to it”.
Have fun carving wax. We all did it.

Well thats a wake up call if I ever heard of one.

Welcome to the club.

congrats-gif-5.gif