Could someone give me an opinion on this book ...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

defact0x

Anti-traditional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Clinical Behavioral Medicine For Small Animals" By Karen L Overall MA VMD 1997 (Mosby)

Is this book 'quality' by the standards of practicing Veterinarians? Or rather- how useful is this book from a professional standpoint in regards to animal behavior- both instinctual and acquired?

I can get it for $50, but since it is for my own personal, referential use- I would only pick it up after getting some opinions. (I am not interested in “layman’s terms” or consumer/pet-owner level texts, btw.)

Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

"Clinical Behavioral Medicine For Small Animals" By Karen L Overall MA VMD 1997 (Mosby)

Is this book 'quality' by the standards of practicing Veterinarians? Or rather- how useful is this book from a professional standpoint in regards to animal behavior- both instinctual and acquired?

I can get it for $50, but since it is for my own personal, referential use- I would only pick it up after getting some opinions. (I am not interested in “layman’s terms” or consumer/pet-owner level texts, btw.)

Any help is much appreciated.

I honestly don't know much about the book in question, but I do know that Dr. Karen Overall is a leader in veterinary behavior. I believe any book by her is one that is bound to be useful. I have heard of that text and I think it's relevant in the practice of clinical behavior medicine. However, I have not read the book (though I want to).

I remember seeing it on the book shelf when I worked for a board certified vet behaviorist. But I never had a chance to look through it, and can't honestly remember if she used it much or not. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's on the shelves where I work. I've browsed it and liked what I saw. For $50, I'd definitely say go for it.

It's my favorite behavior textbook. I think there is a new edition coming out at some point but I'm not sure when.