Could someone give me an opinion on this book ...?

Started by defact0x
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

defact0x

Anti-traditional
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Clinical Behavioral Medicine For Small Animals" By Karen L Overall MA VMD 1997 (Mosby)

Is this book 'quality' by the standards of practicing Veterinarians? Or rather- how useful is this book from a professional standpoint in regards to animal behavior- both instinctual and acquired?

I can get it for $50, but since it is for my own personal, referential use- I would only pick it up after getting some opinions. (I am not interested in “layman’s terms” or consumer/pet-owner level texts, btw.)

Any help is much appreciated.
 
"Clinical Behavioral Medicine For Small Animals" By Karen L Overall MA VMD 1997 (Mosby)

Is this book 'quality' by the standards of practicing Veterinarians? Or rather- how useful is this book from a professional standpoint in regards to animal behavior- both instinctual and acquired?

I can get it for $50, but since it is for my own personal, referential use- I would only pick it up after getting some opinions. (I am not interested in “layman’s terms” or consumer/pet-owner level texts, btw.)

Any help is much appreciated.


I honestly don't know much about the book in question, but I do know that Dr. Karen Overall is a leader in veterinary behavior. I believe any book by her is one that is bound to be useful. I have heard of that text and I think it's relevant in the practice of clinical behavior medicine. However, I have not read the book (though I want to).
 
I remember seeing it on the book shelf when I worked for a board certified vet behaviorist. But I never had a chance to look through it, and can't honestly remember if she used it much or not. :shrug:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's on the shelves where I work. I've browsed it and liked what I saw. For $50, I'd definitely say go for it.
 
It's my favorite behavior textbook. I think there is a new edition coming out at some point but I'm not sure when.