Could Use Some Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reddington7

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a rather different/unusual situation, I accept the criticism and other ideas of routes to pursue as a job.

Freshman, and Sophomore year: I attended a small private university where I competed in Division II Cross Country/Track & Field. Upon transferring, I ended with a 3.34 overall GPA, with a C+ in both Gen Chem's (with labs).

Junior year: I transferred to a larger-public university, due to a health condition that prevented me from running competitively. My first semester was very rough, as my GPA dipped below a 2.00, and put me on academic probation. I can honestly say that this was not a result of going out and getting caught up in the party scene. But due to the fact of being use to taking 17-18 credits at my first school, and took on to much of a work load at my new school. I ended with C's in Cellular Biology, Micro-bio, and Calculus, and a B in Organic Chem I (without lab). My second semester, I fixed it with getting all A's in Stats, Genetics (with lab), and Organic Chem II. Lifting me out of academic probation, and also onto the Dean's List. Concluding this school year my GPA, at just the new school, is 2.98.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what kind of advice you're looking for on this thread, so I'll throw in some resembling info if that helps. Just like you, I literally transferred out of a CC after my sophomore year with a 3.34 as well getting C's in Chem 1/2 and A&P 1. I made some sacrifices the following two years striving to improve and did anything that that I can think of to increase my chances of getting into a program. Brought my GPA up and did any kind of volunteering/working/observing in settings that I thought would benefit me towards my App. profile. If you really want it, you'll grind the next year or two doing anything to bring the GPA up, participate in any volunteer/observing setting, and do good on the GRE. It's completely doable, you're just going to have to be more strategic and it might take some extra time. Go get'em!

The fact that you ran Division II cross country is irrelevant. Also.....No one ever gets in with a 2.98....GO Get'EM

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you ran Division II cross country is irrelevant. Also.....No one ever gets in with a 2.98....GO Get'EM

OP, there are countless threads on here that give advice to those with low gpas on how to get into school. Basically have a great GRE score, numerous hours of shadowing in different settings, stellar letters of rec, and shine in your interview should you be fortunate enough to be invited to one.

Last edited:
You could get in but don't count on it. Take science classes and get it above 3.0 so you don't end up in the first cut ( people below 3.0 for many schools). Also get some pt hours and outshine people there. I had 2,000 hours compared to others 100. I got in and you can to.

It is not true that no one ever gets in with <3.0 cGPA, but it is true to say that most people cannot get in with a <3.0 cGPA. The biggest issue is with school selection. 3.0 is the minimum required at most schools, so your choices of places to apply go up many, many fold if you can bump a 2.98 to a 3.02. There are a decent number that have 2.75, 2.8 or 2.9 as there minimum though, but it is not the majority. But many a stupid student has wasted many a stupid dollar applying to schools where there application was robo-trashed by the computer because they did not meet the entrance requirements.

Concluding this school year my GPA, at just the new school, is 2.98.

Wait, after all that writing above I just re-read your post. Your GPA at each individual school generally doesn't matter. Only your cumulative GPA across all the college coursework you have ever taken matters (as well as your pre-requisite and/or science GPA depending on what the school looks at - but once again where the class was taken is irrelevant as far as how PTCAS will calculate your various GPAs).

Reactions: 1 user