Counselor switching to medicine..seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1-Holder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m a 28 year old pre-med student . A little backstory… I have both my bachelors and masters degrees in Social work (BSW & MSW) and I am currently working as an LCSW psychotherapist. I specialize in DBT and have worked for the hospital system in a variety of capacities, I have worked as an inpatient acute care manager, then as an inpatient DBT and process group therapist. I’m currently the program coordinator the Intensive Outpatient Program and perform emergency psychiatric evaluations at night at a variety of hospital emergency departments.

I have always had a passion for medicine and human health, but while working in the emergency departments the passion was reignited in a way I couldn’t ignore. I’m currently going to school at the community college for my pre-med classes (for which I had none from undergrad), and will transfer back to university for my upper division requirements when the time in comes in a year or so. Community college works better for me since I’m currently working full time and it is a much more accessible educational setting.

I have done well in school and fingers crossed will do well in my pre-med required classes as well. I had a 3.4GPA as an undergraduate (not amazing) and a 4.0 from my masters program. Thus far I have a 4.0 in pre-med classes. Also, being in the hospital setting, I’ve been very fortunate to be able to develop relationships with physicians and shadow in a variety of hospital settings. I’m not currently thinking psychiatry as a specialty, I’d like to pursue family medicine (although I know that could all change once I get into med school).

I have a few questions for anyone willing to help:

1. Is there any others out there who knows of, or are a licensed therapists who are/have/or will switch careers to go to medical school? If so, what has your experience been? Any tips? Cautionary tales?

2. Does anyone with experience with med school admissions have a sense for if my background will be helpful/harmful in getting into medical school?

3. Any other tips, thoughts, ideas, or advice you’d be willing to share.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good move. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2. Does anyone with experience with med school admissions have a sense for if my background will be helpful/harmful in getting into medical school?
So far, so good. Have you shadowed yet? Don't forget about all the other ECs.

Read everything the wise DrMidlife has written in this forum.

Reactions: 1 user
So far, so good. Have you shadowed yet? Don't forget about all the other ECs.

Read everything the wise DrMidlife has written in this forum.

Hi and thanks for the response. I have managed to shadow family medicine both inpatient and outpatient a few times, emergency department, pediatrics/labor and delivery, and I'm hoping to get more as well.

I definitely want to make sure I have plenty of shadowing, etc so I appreciate the advice. And I'll definitely look into DrMidlife.

-Thanks.

Hi and thanks for the response. I have managed to shadow family medicine both inpatient and outpatient a few times, emergency department, pediatrics/labor and delivery, and I'm hoping to get more as well.

I definitely want to make sure I have plenty of shadowing, etc so I appreciate the advice. And I'll definitely look into DrMidlife.

-Thanks.
You're on the right track!!

Reactions: 1 user