Countdown to May 16th Release!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally checked my scores...

VR 10
PS 13
BS 12

35!

This was in line with my average on the emcat scores. I took all of them (3-10), and my scores ranged from 32 to 38, with a mean score of just about 35.

Members don't see this ad :)
28R not retaking

The amount of scores in the 30+ range with a T in this thread is ridonculous. I don't plan on retaking with a 28, I feel that it should be enough to get me into at least 1 school with all of my other work experience, volunteering, and extra curricular activities. I'm hoping to get into a philly school or penn state.

I have only been the the US for 3 and a half years, if getting a 7 in verbal impossible to get into medical school ?

VR - 9
PS - 13
B - 9
W - O
31O

Lowest score for bio on practice tests was a 13...I knew I smelt a retake the moment I walked out of that testing center! And damn! I was looking forward to that beach bonfire with the TPR books. Maybe I'll still do it. Anyone in???? I'll bring the beers!!!

8 PS
11 V
10 BS

Total: 29M

eek! 8 is the lowest score I've ever gotten in PS...my nerves sooooo got the worst of me...
yippee! 10 in Bio! I thought I blew it!
M?! I write for a living! Well, I guess creative writing isn't the same thing...

What say all of you about the 8? Should I retake? I'm not planning on it... I'm an older non-trad student with Sci gpa 3.64 (all but 3 of my pre-reqs are post-bacc at 3.96), Cum undergrad gpa 3.72. Should I worry about the 8 or drink with glee tonight?

I got the exact same score as you but diff breakdown (PS-11, VR-10, BS-8? W-M) and was kinga bumbed at first but after talking to my advisors and health professions office I think we got a fighting chance at state schools! I am in TX and 29 is right at avg. I also have about the same gpa lol 3.74 here. CONGRATS MAN! GO PARTY!!!

Figured I'd post 'em here too.

VS: 10
PS: 12
BS: 11
WS: P

So, is my life over? I wanted to apply to Duke, Vandy, etc. I want to do academic medicine, so I need a "name" degree. And I want to get out of GA.

I got the exact same score as you but diff breakdown (PS-11, VR-10, BS-8? W-M) and was kinga bumbed at first but after talking to my advisors and health professions office I think we got a fighting chance at state schools! I am in TX and 29 is right at avg. I also have about the same gpa lol 3.74 here. CONGRATS MAN! GO PARTY!!!

NICE! And I was born in TX!
I'll drink to us both tonight! CONGRATS!

snowjoe i was thinking the same thing...a beach bonfire with my mcat books! I have soooo many and i cannot wait to finally burn them alllllll!!!!!!!! :D :cool: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wurang clan...I'm on the same boat as you:

V-6
PS-11
BIO-12
WRI-Q
TOTAL = 29Q

I live in NJ and i really want to go to one of the instate medical schools (Rober t Wood Johnson Medical School or New Jersey Medical School). I am happy with my science scores, but verbal always kills me. Any advice you guys could offer would be awesome....

You should retake if one of your sections is below an 8 (some schools will screen you out). Are you a native speaker? If not, schools might cut you some slack, but you should really try to improve your score.

Congrats to everyone, especially those of us who sweated it out posting every 5 minutes on this thread!!!

I don't think im gonna retake, I don't wanna go through this again. It just sucks to say goodbye to out of state privates and realize I have another 4 years in the cold, assuming my best chance is at Ohio schools.

3.85 GPA, 31R, 9 in BS (painful)..... It's not worth it to suffer through this test again.

Congrats to everyone, especially those of us who sweated it out posting every 5 minutes on this thread!!!

I don't think im gonna retake, I don't wanna go through this again. It just sucks to say goodbye to out of state privates and realize I have another 4 years in the cold, assuming my best chance is at Ohio schools.

3.85 GPA, 31R, 9 in BS (painful)..... It's not worth it to suffer through this test again.

Trust me, as someone who is burdened with a huge undergrad student loan debt from a private school, I say your state school probably=best bang for your buck (especially OH). In the end you won't regret it.

Maybe my last post:

Verbal:9
Physics:11
Biology:13
Writing:O

33O

So happy...that i am actually sad lol i feel empty now...

hey everyone,

i got my scores today:

VR: 9
PS: 13
BS: 13
WS: M

should i retake to increase the VR and WS?!?!:scared: i have a high GPA and good EC's, so i don't really know what to do. any advice would be awesome
Thanks!!

I won't be disappointed with staying in state, it just would have been nice to have a chance OOS somewhere.

hey everyone,

i got my scores today:

VR: 9
PS: 13
BS: 13
WS: M

should i retake to increase the VR and WS?!?!:scared: i have a high GPA and good EC's, so i don't really know what to do. any advice would be awesome
Thanks!!
Calbears...

I honestly don't know anyone that has retaken with a 35. Unless you are scoring better than that on all your practice tests, I would definitely take the great score and be happy, you WILL get in somewhere with that score.

Congrats, I see lots of stellar scores posted here... Now then,
VR: 10
BS: 9
PS: 8
Composite: 27M
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif

Can anyone help me with my prospects? Can I get into med school with these scores or should I retake the exam??? Desperate - any input is very much appreciated, thnxs in advance.
icon10.gif

Congrats, I see lots of stellar scores posted here... Now then,
VR: 10
BS: 9
PS: 8
Composite: 27M
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif

Can anyone help me with my prospects? Can I get into med school with these scores or should I retake the exam??? Desperate - any input is very much appreciated, thnxs in advance.
icon10.gif
I don't think it's the kind of score that *absolutely* warrants a retake - you got an 8 or more on each section, which is a good start. However, the rest of your application and your aspirations must be considered. How competitive is/are your state school(s)? Is your GPA well above average? (I'd say 3.70-3.755 and above will give you decent chances with that MCAT if your school is reasonable). OOS? GPA will probably have to near 3.85+. Private schools? With the same GPA as for your state school, you should stand a chance at a few low tiers (rosalind franklin, etc). Do you have a solid history of ECs?

Best bet is to e-mail some of the lower tier schools on your list and ask if they have a history of admitting people with MCAT similar to yours.

Guys, I got a 43T, and it's below my practice average! Should I retake? Should I go kill myself!!?!?!?

Sorry, I just had to.:laugh: :smuggrin:

I don't think it's the kind of score that *absolutely* warrants a retake - you got an 8 or more on each section, which is a good start. However, the rest of your application and your aspirations must be considered. How competitive is/are your state school(s)? Is your GPA well above average? (I'd say 3.70-3.755 and above will give you decent chances with that MCAT if your school is reasonable). OOS? GPA will probably have to near 3.85+. Private schools? With the same GPA as for your state school, you should stand a chance at a few low tiers (rosalind franklin, etc). Do you have a solid history of ECs?

Best bet is to e-mail some of the lower tier schools on your list and ask if they have a history of admitting people with MCAT similar to yours.
Here is my breakdown…

University: Oregon State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.54
Undergrad Major: Honors Biotech
Research Experience: ~ 4 years studying DNA Mismatch repair
Clinical Volunteer Experience: Plenty
Aspirations: Oncology
Letters of Rec: Strong
Currently: Perusing Masters Degree in Genetics
Preferred School: OHSU

What do ya think?

Here is my breakdown…

University: Oregon State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.54
Undergrad Major: Honors Biotech
Research Experience: ~ 4 years studying DNA Mismatch repair
Clinical Volunteer Experience: Plenty
Aspirations: Oncology
Letters of Rec: Strong
Currently: Perusing Masters Degree in Genetics
Preferred School: OHSU

What do ya think?
How's your BCPM? What are OHSU's average stats?

The master's gives you a bit of an oomph as does a challenging major, but the GPA is borderline. Mine is almost identical (3.51) and with a 32T, I view no acceptance as a definite possibility (I don't have a state school to fall back on). Unless you got like a 3.8+ BCPM, I'd take the plunge. I don't think you'd make it out of state with your GPA - a small chance, but not something I'd seriously count on.

Edit: if you are an underrepresented minority (in healthcare, that is), you will have a good shot at historically black schools (Morehouse, Meharry, Howard).

how important is the med school you attended on getting a good residency? I have a really high chance of getting into my state school (OK) but dont really want to go there. Any suggestions on easier out of state schools?