Counting chromatin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundevilDMD

Sundevil
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i forgot how to tell how many chromatin are in a cell..fr example if an organism is 2n=20..how many chromatin in the different divisional phases?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure it goes that if a diploid cell has 20 chromosomes, then after DNA replication, there will be 40, and after mitosis there will be 2 daughter cells with 20 each. in meiosis, there will be 4 gamets with the haploid number of 10 each.

ryan85 said:
i'm pretty sure it goes that if a diploid cell has 20 chromosomes, then after DNA replication, there will be 40, and after mitosis there will be 2 daughter cells with 20 each. in meiosis, there will be 4 gamets with the haploid number of 10 each.

correct... and the result of meiosis 1 is 2 daughter cells that are genetically different with a diploid number of 2N, and the results of meiosis 2 is 4 gametes that are genetically different with a diploid number of N.

in a nutshell:
meiosis 1 = crossing over, recombination, genetically different 2N daughter cells
meiosis 2 = same as mitosis except no dna replication, results in 4 haploid gametes.

WS