Counting Lines in top front end???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredds1101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone elaborate on the counting lines method in the top front end questions? i have read some of the other posts pertaining to this, but those seem to confuse me even more. i know it is hard to explain in words, but if someone could try it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

futuredds1101 said:
can anyone elaborate on the counting lines method in the top front end questions? i have read some of the other posts pertaining to this, but those seem to confuse me even more. i know it is hard to explain in words, but if someone could try it would be appreciated.

I'll try my best.....

Counting lines is a kaplan stradegy that refers to "events," meaning figure edges. By counting lines on one view it allows you to predict where a curve or a line would appear on another view. I dont know how to post an example PAT problem, but if someone can it would be easier to explain by walking you through it on a real figure. Anyway, looking at the the top view.... horizontal lines correspond with the end view and verticle lines with the front view. The number of lines match events on the other views. Sorry if that wasn't what you are looking for.

All that said, I think you perform best if you can visualize the object. I mentioned this in another thread, but practice by taking everyday objects and make your own top-front-end projections. Doing this allows you to further build a mental bridge between flat projections and an actual 3-D object. You find the answer the fastest if you can see the object. Get familiar with what a curved surface looks like, a cone, a wedge, and be able to distinguish whether or not the shape is coming out or is a slice. You'll notice when dealing with kaplan answer keys they always provide a visual of the 3-D object. IMO counting lines in the true kaplan sense will get you the answers but it can take a long time. If you do what I suggested above, eventually you'll actually count lines with out realizing it. The takeaway from this concept is that a line on one projection corresponds with another projection. For example, if you see 4 verticle lines on the top view but only see 3 major events on the front view, it allows you eliminate answers.