Couples Matching in highly competitive fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yosemite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My s/o and I will be couples matching this upcoming year and would preferably like to match in derm & ortho (cray-cray, I know). We're both competitive for our fields, but know that these are two hard specialities to match in alone, not even considering trying to do it as a couple. Thus, one or both of us are also planning on doing a "back-up" match as well (probably radiology or anesthesiology). Any advice from people who have charted this field?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have personal experience with this, but would you two really rather do entirely different specialties than be apart/be in an undesirable location? That's a huge sacrifice - and if places you are applying for (in derm & ortho) get wind that you are applying for other specialties, I would imagine it would make you less desirable.

Hopefully someone else can offer some personal experience.

I do not have personal experience with this, but would you two really rather do entirely different specialties than be apart/be in an undesirable location? That's a huge sacrifice - and if places you are applying for (in derm & ortho) get wind that you are applying for other specialties, I would imagine it would make you less desirable.

Hopefully someone else can offer some personal experience.

6 years in a long distance marriage sounds way way worse than doing your 2nd favored specialty.

As for the second part, almost everyone applying to hyper-competitive specialties apply to a backup specialty. Only the idiots and superstars have no backup.

6 years in a long distance marriage sounds way way worse than doing your 2nd favored specialty.

As for the second part, almost everyone applying to hyper-competitive specialties apply to a backup specialty. Only the idiots and superstars have no backup.

+1