couples matching question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychiatryhopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

would a PD, aPD, someone w more experience than me be able to comment on this? for applicants who are couples matching, do their respective departments talk to each other before ranking candidates? or is it pretty independent and they make their decisions as though the applicant is applying by himself/herself? thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking psych/non-psych couples, most of the communication between programs happens at the interview level--e.g. "We're interviewing this guy in our ortho program who's AOA, benches 350 and runs a 4.4 40. Could you interview his fiancee for your psych program?". After that, the rankings are pretty much independent, because no PD that I know would think to tell another PD how to rank an applicant outside their own field.

Word is that the Couples' Match tends to produce poorer outcomes for the stronger candidate as opposed to improving prospects for weaker ones, but I watched the NRMP video about the Couples' Match once and it made my brain hurt.

Reactions: 4 users
Often couples matching into different specialties don't always couple match into the same hospitals. Cities with four or five programs produce many more combinations. Communications between unlike specialties across different hospitals is zero. OPD is right, couples matching tends to bring down the stronger more than it lifts the weaker. Be sure being together is important and then if it is, be honest about the limits of what you are willing to do. Four years is a long time to be bitter towards your mate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious bc I was at an interview where the Pd told me that he was contacted by my partners Pd saying that they liked him. Was also at an interview where the PD told me that he would compare notes w my partners dept PD. But it seems like this isn’t that common?
Probably 50/50 or 40/60...but I don't know how useful it is. So many variables, especially in cases such as McDT mentions, where there are multiple programs for each specialty within commuting distance.

I routinely contact other PDs (and am contacted by them). We modify a person's ranking within reason in order to help out another program.

It depends on your partner’s specialty too and your partner’s competitiveness for that program. I had several programs tell me “we’d love to have you but it’s going to come down to where your partner matches.”

Unless it is Peds or Family medicine, the non-psych couple always determines the outcome. Psych just isn't as competitive as most other specialties despite the recent evidence this is changing.

Unless it is Peds or Family medicine, the non-psych couple always determines the outcome. Psych just isn't as competitive as most other specialties despite the recent evidence this is changing.
While on average this is still true, I have had multiple instances where the psych half of the couple was definitely weaker and it ruined the couples match in the end.

Another question peeps. NRMP says each person can rank 20 unique programs.

For example:
OHSU anesthesia has categorical, advanced, categorical Critical care, advanced critical care

Is this 1 program or 4 programs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think if you are saying you want categorical more than say categorical critical care, then those or two unique programs. So 4. I assume you are using anesthesia as an example and being on a psychiatry board doesn't imply that you are using psychiatry as a back up. ;)

I believe it depends on whether their is a separate NRMP number.

anesthesia as an example and being on a psychiatry board doesn't imply that you are using psychiatry as a back up.

XD I just looked up "couples matching". Didn't even realize it was in psychiatry. But thanks for the help :D

Another question peeps. NRMP says each person can rank 20 unique programs.
actually you can rank 700 programs! you just have to pay extra for more than 20 ;)

according to the NRMP website:
Keep in mind that if you have not interviewed at a program, the program is not likely to rank you and therefore a match will not occur.
which is the understatement of the century