Course classification - independent research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who've been through the AMCAS application process recently, please share your experiences with classifying the following

1. working in my university's biology/medical research lab for school credit (course is given a BIO designation and is offered through biology); and

2. doing independent biology/medical primary research article reading under a science faculty for school credit (course is given a BIO designation and is offered through Biology)

3. taking a seminar that has to do with the human factors that go into patient clinical care (course is given a graduate school of biology designation and is offered through the graduate school of biology)

I've read the AMCAS instructional guide and it doesn't specifically address the above 3 situations.

I'm inclined to treat #1 and #2 under Biology under the generic subheading of either Biology or Molecular Biology. the lab research and the independent reading both have to do with cancer.

With respect to #3, I'm inclined to treat it as generic biology.

Has anyone here had to deal with the above? How did you classify on the first go around and did AMCAS approve or did AMCAS recategorize? Any thoughts from those in AdCom?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my research courses was not offered through the biology department but my research topic was very biology focused. I categorized it as BIOL.
My other research course was offered through the biology department and similar to your #3, the topic was based upon patient care. I categorized it as BIOL.
AMCAS didn't reclassify either course.

Take into account the research/seminar purpose and content and use your best judgment. It sounds to me like you could categorize all three as biology based courses and AMCAS doesn't have subheadings, so cancer biology, molecular biology, generic biology, etc, are all categorized under BIOL.

Reactions: 1 user