Course requisites: Does Immunology=microbiology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicktheTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There.

was wondering if an Immunology course counts also as a microbiolgoy course for dental schools. MWU wants a microbiology course and I was wondering if my immunology would count. I know some schools see it that way (undergrad schools).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Third no, but if for some strange reason your school calls its microbio class "immunology," then contact schools you want to apply to and try and justify it. While the standard of these courses will share some concepts, they are not synonymous just as anatomy is not physiology. My guess is your S.O.L.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm hoping it does lol. I took an immunology course with a course code of MICR (i.e under the microbiology department) but we barely learned any microbio. It turns out thst 2/3 schools i intervirwed at requires microbiology. Hopefully it counts and I don't have to take it next semester.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

No... That's like asking if Cell biology = Biochemistry.

Best bet is to call the school and have a copy of the syllabus in case they ask. The answer is probably no though.

Hi There.

was wondering if an Immunology course counts also as a microbiolgoy course for dental schools. MWU wants a microbiology course and I was wondering if my immunology would count. I know some schools see it that way (undergrad schools).
What schools see it that way lol

Advanced Bacterial Pathogenesis (400 level). Microbiology concepts play a major role but it is contextualized in immunology. The microbiology component certainly exceeds what you get in say 100 or 200 series into micobio courses.

Advanced Bacterial Pathogenesis (400 level). Microbiology concepts play a major role but it is contextualized in immunology. The microbiology component certainly exceeds what you get in say 100 or 200 series into micobio courses.

Wouldn't you need to have taken microbiology as a prerequisite for that course...? How are you going to jump into bacterial pathogenesis without having taken basic microbiology?

Reactions: 2 users