course schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think taking Physics 1, Anatomy 1, and Bio 2 over the summer is a lot since it is a shorter term?

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on 2 variables: # of your work hours, your goal for the class (3A? 2A, 1B?, 3C?...so on).

The Anat. and Bio are doable - they're straight memorization. I would ask around about the Physics prof. An anal Physics prof can make the class outrageous difficult. Go Lakers! Microbus out.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmDr. said:
Do you guys think taking Physics 1, Anatomy 1, and Bio 2 over the summer is a lot since it is a shorter term?

I'm taking both Physics I and II (both with labs) this summer. :thumbup: Physics I goes from May 17 - June 30ish (lecture from 9-noon, lab from 12:30-3 - Mondays and Wednesdays), and then Physics II begins the following week until August 11 (same hours and days). Talk about cramming it in!

Did I mention I work 40 hours per week? :D

I've taken a lot courses over summer semesters and I think sometimes it can be beneficial. I really don't think it's possible to get EVERY bit of information into summer classes that you're given during a normal semester. Therefore, it's less info to learn and you've focused on the fundamental points of the course. Plus it's easier to retain all of what you learned for the shorter semester so finals are MUCH easier to study for.
I think your schedule sounds pretty doable, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck! :luck:

How about taking Orgo Chem II (3 cr. Lecture) and a 4 cr. Orgo lab during the summer? My univ. combines the 1st sem ochem lab material with the 2nd sem ochem lab to make for one macho lab. The term lasts 2 months. From reading what some of you plan to take or have taken over the summer, my plan sounds semi-doable. I don't plan to be employed this summer... 7 credits of ochem will be my life. :thumbdown: Also, I need to get a "B" or higher in those courses. My current ochem prof said he HIGHLY DISAPPROVES of someone taking both ochem2 and the big lab during the summer. However, I'm kind of in a predicament because I need to finish all my prereqs before fall. Gulp. +pissed+

*Sorry about this disorganized post- I just typed up something similar a few minutes ago, and then my browser shut down- so I tried to type this one up kinda quick.*

PharmDr. : Imagining an eight-week session of summer, and taking physics, anatomy and biology.....I would say that it's not going to be easy. Remember that each will have either one hour everyday session or three hour class for twice a week. Three classes + study time + lab time + work (if applicable) = No life.
What kind of grades are you trying to get by the way? if you try to get at least C's, then I think it's not impossible. Just remember that you are going to have three exams almost at the same time every other week.

pharmtech77: it is going to be tough also, ochem II in the summer for me last year was countless of starbucks.

Good luck for you both then! If you think you can do it, then you can do it. Eight week is not a long time and as the reward you'll get all of them over with. Let us know your decision.

pharmtech77 said:
How about taking Orgo Chem II (3 cr. Lecture) and a 4 cr. Orgo lab during the summer? My univ. combines the 1st sem ochem lab material with the 2nd sem ochem lab to make for one macho lab. The term lasts 2 months. From reading what some of you plan to take or have taken over the summer, my plan sounds semi-doable. I don't plan to be employed this summer... 7 credits of ochem will be my life. :thumbdown: Also, I need to get a "B" or higher in those courses. My current ochem prof said he HIGHLY DISAPPROVES of someone taking both ochem2 and the big lab during the summer.

I remember when we had a few students complain about their O-chem grades and our professor actually had the nerve to say "Quit your job, drop your other classes, and get a divorce because Organic chemistry should be your number one priority". Give me a flippin break! I think a lot of O-chem profs are full of themselves and the course they teach.
I would ask around at your school and see if anyone else has taken ochem2 and the lab for summer semester. It sounds like you should be able to do it to me, however maybe your professor is right...it might be a pain in the ass. But really if that's all you have to do (no job, no other classes) I'm pretty sure it won't be that tough.

It wan't just OChem profs telling us to quit our jobs. My Neuropsych prof my P3 year told us the same. Worked 30 a week and got an A anyway...

When I was still after a BS in Microbiology, I was a summer RA and took Organic Chem II in 7 weeks. It was the worst decision I ever made, and ended up dropping it before the final exam. It was the profs first time teaching OChem, and the section was full of pharmacy kids blasting the curve away, trying to boost stats for admissions. I hate those bastards. (Then I became one... :D )

MNnaloxone said:
When I was still after a BS in Microbiology, I was a summer RA and took Organic Chem II in 7 weeks. It was the worst decision I ever made, and ended up dropping it before the final exam. It was the profs first time teaching OChem, and the section was full of pharmacy kids blasting the curve away, trying to boost stats for admissions. I hate those bastards. (Then I became one... :D )

Thanks for the reassurance. ;) ;) No really, I am starting to think this is one of the worst decisions I have ever made too...only I have sort of been accepted to SDSU and can't really drop this unless I want to put all my application efforts to waste. :( I'm even taking a leave-of-absence from my pharmtech job to take this class, and am spending a whole dang lot of money too! What have I gotten myself into?! :scared:

AmandaRxs said:
I would ask around at your school and see if anyone else has taken ochem2 and the lab for summer semester. It sounds like you should be able to do it to me, however maybe your professor is right...it might be a pain in the ass. But really if that's all you have to do (no job, no other classes) I'm pretty sure it won't be that tough.

I have already asked around, and I have heard of people taking both lecture and lab during the summer. They didn't work or anything either...which is my plan as well...and I guess they turned out fine. I just wonder how much of geniouses they were...hmmm lol.

hey minnesota pre-pharms....which campus are you all l at? and did you apply to UMD's new pharm school?

UMDeeMan said:
hey minnesota pre-pharms....which campus are you all l at? and did you apply to UMD's new pharm school?

I'm in Minneapolis. If I get my conditional acceptance revoked from a different pharm school this year, I will apply to both Mpls and Duluth campuses for next year. I would prefer Mpls though, partially because it's closer to home. Did you apply to the UMD campus (how is the COP there?)?? Have you heard anything yet? A girl in my micro lab said people are starting to get letters, but some may not hear until May 15th or so. She's pretty upset that they don't send all the letters at once! Does the UofMN COP have the conditional acceptance "B or better" requirement?

It's nice to see another MN pre-pharm on this board now! :clap: Where else did you apply or do you plan to apply to if you haven't yet?

hold your horses. i'm planning on getting my degree first (exercise science with minors in chem and pysch). and I really want to go to dental school. i'm just looking into pharmacy. highly doubt i'll go into but i want as much exposure to various fields as possible so i can make the right decision. i have a lot of friends though that applied at UMD and got shut down. decent gpas and pcat, lacked the experience though i think.

I'm sorry, UMDeeMan. I was under the impression you were pre-pharm as well. Good luck with your career decision!

I had once considered dental school, too, but my manual dexterity sucks so I guess that would be a problem. Seems like a good field to me, tho! :)

I took Physics 1 & 2, Biology 1, and Gen Chem 1 in the summer and didn't run into a problem. I had however already taken 2 chemistry classes and A&P 1 & 2 so Bio and Chem was a lot of rehashing old stuff. The Physics class was abbreviated though...there was just no way that all the info could be taught in the 6 week courses so just the important (of course Physics profs will tell you it's all important) stuff was concentrated on.