course sequence for pre-dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosiedaisy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore.5 - meaning I did 3 semesters and took a semester off - and changing my track from business to pre-dentistry. I willl be keeping my business major, because I don't think I can be a science major in nature.
I took the past spring semester off, and will be starting this Fall. I am currently taking Gen Chem 1 and will be taking 2 followed by. These will be completed in prior to September. I was wondering if you guys can help me out on my course selection. My plan is:

Summer 08 (currently): Gen Chem 1 and 2
Fall 08: Bio 1 and Org Chem 1
Spring 09: Bio 2 and Org Chem 2
Summer: start studying for DAT/ take DAT, hopefully
Fall 09: Physics 1, Science elec
Spring 10: Physics 2, Science elec
Summer 10: apply to dental schools
Fall 10: Graduate

Knowing that DAT does not cover Physics, It seems logical to me to take it after taking Org Chem. Would it be hard to take both bio and orgo at the same time? How is org chem different from chem (I know the basic difference of course)? Would you say you could get an A from orgo if you did well on gen chem, or is it totally different?
As a non-science major, how many science elective should I take while I am in undergrad?

I was also wondering what'd the dental school say aboout my GPA.. I started off my college really well as undecided (3.98), but for the past two semesters, my gpa was in between 2.5 and 3.0, because I just really disliked what I was doing (I was a hotel mgmt major at CornHell). I didn't take any course that's related to pre-dental, and I did pretty well on general business courses. I did poorly on hotel specific courses which brought my GPA down a LOT. I took the semester off, and I yet have at least 2.5 years to go (I am transferring to a different place). What do you think the dental school will say about my situation?

Thanks guys....this site is amazing for such a novice pre-dental student like me. Best of luck to you all and I hope you hit that reply for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Your sequence looks pretty good but I do have one suggestion as a fellow non-science major: general bio really doesn't give you enough info to take the DAT, so you might want to try to shove in an upper level bio course before you take the DAT. Orgo really is that much harder than gen chem, so an A in gen chem doesn't guarantee you anything for orgo. As long as you bring up your GPA with good grades in your science classes and electives, I don't think two semesters of low grades will necessarily keep you out (but it won't exactly help get you in). Good luck-- I think you are on a fine track!

Just an idea :idea:

You can apply for dental school BEFORE taking Physics I & II and if you want, you can even apply BEFORE taking the DAT. Schools hold your application until the remaining grades are reported. As long as you have all your pre reqs completed before you matriculate.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
:

As a non-science major, how many science elective should I take while I am in undergrad?

This will depend on which schools you are planning on applying to. Different schools have different requirements UF for example requires microbiology, genetics/molecular biology, and biochemistry. They also require a psychology class. I would look at the schools that you think you may be a good fit and start there.

:
I was also wondering what'd the dental school say aboout my GPA.. I started off my college really well as undecided (3.98), but for the past two semesters, my gpa was in between 2.5 and 3.0, because I just really disliked what I was doing (I was a hotel mgmt major at CornHell). I didn't take any course that's related to pre-dental, and I did pretty well on general business courses. I did poorly on hotel specific courses which brought my GPA down a LOT. I took the semester off, and I yet have at least 2.5 years to go (I am transferring to a different place). What do you think the dental school will say about my situation?

As long as you show strong grades in your core classes, and a good overall finish. I think that it works FOR you as opposed to against. I had a similar situation, and I addressed it in my personal statement. Your, now far better, grades shoe that you are really excited about your career choice.
-C

Your sequence looks pretty good but I do have one suggestion as a fellow non-science major: general bio really doesn't give you enough info to take the DAT, so you might want to try to shove in an upper level bio course before you take the DAT. Orgo really is that much harder than gen chem, so an A in gen chem doesn't guarantee you anything for orgo. As long as you bring up your GPA with good grades in your science classes and electives, I don't think two semesters of low grades will necessarily keep you out (but it won't exactly help get you in). Good luck-- I think you are on a fine track!

Intro bio by itself is not enough. Throw an anatomy or physiology course in there. That should do it.

I am a sophomore.5 - meaning I did 3 semesters and took a semester off - and changing my track from business to pre-dentistry. I willl be keeping my business major, because I don't think I can be a science major in nature.
I took the past spring semester off, and will be starting this Fall. I am currently taking Gen Chem 1 and will be taking 2 followed by. These will be completed in prior to September. I was wondering if you guys can help me out on my course selection. My plan is:

Summer 08 (currently): Gen Chem 1 and 2
Fall 08: Bio 1 and Org Chem 1
Spring 09: Bio 2 and Org Chem 2
Summer: start studying for DAT/ take DAT, hopefully
Fall 09: Physics 1, Science elec
Spring 10: Physics 2, Science elec
Summer 10: apply to dental schools
Fall 10: Graduate

Knowing that DAT does not cover Physics, It seems logical to me to take it after taking Org Chem. Would it be hard to take both bio and orgo at the same time? How is org chem different from chem (I know the basic difference of course)? Would you say you could get an A from orgo if you did well on gen chem, or is it totally different?

Thanks guys....this site is amazing for such a novice pre-dental student like me. Best of luck to you all and I hope you hit that reply for me!

I hope you know that Dental Schools got no non-science classes?

Kick out physics I and II and take those last.

Take human phys as soon as possible.. Genetics too.

Oh.. and maybe wait until summer '10 to take DAT.. No need to take it summer '09 id you are applying '10. You'll be much more prepared after taking human phys and genetics.