1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Coursera

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by joujou116, Jan 13, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. joujou116

joujou116 2+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2013
    I was wondering if anyone has talked to any medical schools regarding their opinions on courses taken through Coursera? From the MSAR, I know that there are some schools that accept online courses, but I'm not sure what they would say specifically about Coursera. I've emailed a few Admissions offices out of curiosity, but I was just wondering if anyone had any information on any particular schools?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AquiVoy13

AquiVoy13

May 10, 2013
    I know you can receive a 'certificate' that says you took the class, but do they have credit hours?

I've taken a few of their classes. They're fun and informative, but pretty easy...

4. Boolean

Boolean

Oct 14, 2013
    I personally would bring up the fact that you've taken the course, and get the "Signature Track" version of the course (50 bucks or so) if you can, but otherwise I think you'd be hard pressed to get credit for these courses (except perhaps at the institution that awarded you the certificate)

5. Doudline

Doudline 2+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2012
    I can't imagine any medical school accepting credits for Coursera lol, even if you were certified/verified.

6. Narmerguy

Narmerguy Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I agree. It probably would need to come from an accredited institution...i.e. if the school itself is not giving you their course credit for passing this course, than I wouldn't expect much from it.

7. cadingcading

cadingcading 7+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2007
    New York
    Actually I just took a Coursera course on abortion offered by UCSF. It was amazing and they were offering credits to med students and other health profesionals in certain programs. They had a link to a website where you could apply to get CMEs. I think it comes down to the specific course and your institution. For the comments above who think these courses aren't serious, I would take a look at what Cousera has to offer. UCSF has a course coming up on Clinical problem solving. If you are a student you could probably apply for CMEs depending on your institution.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/02/13538/cme-credits-now-available-ucsfs-online-courses

joujou116 likes this.
  8. joujou116

joujou116 2+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2013
    That's great to hear! Thanks so much - even if I don't get credit, I definitely want to take a look at those courses ^

cadingcading likes this.