Coursera

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joujou116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has talked to any medical schools regarding their opinions on courses taken through Coursera? From the MSAR, I know that there are some schools that accept online courses, but I'm not sure what they would say specifically about Coursera. I've emailed a few Admissions offices out of curiosity, but I was just wondering if anyone had any information on any particular schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know you can receive a 'certificate' that says you took the class, but do they have credit hours?

I've taken a few of their classes. They're fun and informative, but pretty easy...

I personally would bring up the fact that you've taken the course, and get the "Signature Track" version of the course (50 bucks or so) if you can, but otherwise I think you'd be hard pressed to get credit for these courses (except perhaps at the institution that awarded you the certificate)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine any medical school accepting credits for Coursera lol, even if you were certified/verified.

I can't imagine any medical school accepting credits for Coursera lol, even if you were certified/verified.

I agree. It probably would need to come from an accredited institution...i.e. if the school itself is not giving you their course credit for passing this course, than I wouldn't expect much from it.

I was wondering if anyone has talked to any medical schools regarding their opinions on courses taken through Coursera? From the MSAR, I know that there are some schools that accept online courses, but I'm not sure what they would say specifically about Coursera. I've emailed a few Admissions offices out of curiosity, but I was just wondering if anyone had any information on any particular schools?

Thanks!

Actually I just took a Coursera course on abortion offered by UCSF. It was amazing and they were offering credits to med students and other health profesionals in certain programs. They had a link to a website where you could apply to get CMEs. I think it comes down to the specific course and your institution. For the comments above who think these courses aren't serious, I would take a look at what Cousera has to offer. UCSF has a course coming up on Clinical problem solving. If you are a student you could probably apply for CMEs depending on your institution.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/02/13538/cme-credits-now-available-ucsfs-online-courses

Reactions: 1 user
Actually I just took a Coursera course on abortion offered by UCSF. It was amazing and they were offering credits to med students and other health profesionals in certain programs. They had a link to a website where you could apply to get CMEs. I think it comes down to the specific course and your institution. For the comments above who think these courses aren't serious, I would take a look at what Cousera has to offer. UCSF has a course coming up on Clinical problem solving. If you are a student you could probably apply for CMEs depending on your institution.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/02/13538/cme-credits-now-available-ucsfs-online-courses

That's great to hear! Thanks so much - even if I don't get credit, I definitely want to take a look at those courses ^

Reactions: 1 user