Does Coursera/ edX Credit verified courses count toward med app GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swan24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I alreday graduated from my university but decided to continue taking courses during my summer. I found some credit-verified courses on edX and Coursera and was wondering if those will count toward my GPA when I apply.
Any help will be great appreciated.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It most likely will not count.

You will need a transcript from the university for it to count towards your calculated GPA and to get that you will need to be directly enrolled in the university, rather than through a non accredited third party like EdX and Coursera. Those services are typically for personal enrichment rather than accredited course work. There are a few options for actual course credit at certain institutions but I assume they'd be Pass/Fail and won't contribute to your GPA. Of greater importance, I do not think an ADCom will view an MOOC as highly as it would an in-person class. However, if you can find an interesting course in a niche subject like bioethics, health care systems, etc - it could be a great resource for writing thoughtful applications and participating in stimulating interviews.

https://www.class-central.com/report/moocs-for-credit/