Does Coursera/ edX Credit verified courses count toward med app GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swan24

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I alreday graduated from my university but decided to continue taking courses during my summer. I found some credit-verified courses on edX and Coursera and was wondering if those will count toward my GPA when I apply.
Any help will be great appreciated.
Thank you!
 
It most likely will not count.

You will need a transcript from the university for it to count towards your calculated GPA and to get that you will need to be directly enrolled in the university, rather than through a non accredited third party like EdX and Coursera. Those services are typically for personal enrichment rather than accredited course work. There are a few options for actual course credit at certain institutions but I assume they'd be Pass/Fail and won't contribute to your GPA. Of greater importance, I do not think an ADCom will view an MOOC as highly as it would an in-person class. However, if you can find an interesting course in a niche subject like bioethics, health care systems, etc - it could be a great resource for writing thoughtful applications and participating in stimulating interviews.

https://www.class-central.com/report/moocs-for-credit/